Just a quick "How do i"....

Hi guys

I have an Asus P2BD running a PIII 500 and i have Just come across an identical processor. So I thought "what the hell" and I installed it as a second CPU.

My question is how do I get XP (Pro) to recognise it. There are 2 CPU's in device manager, but I read somewhere that it should show up in task manager also? I know I could re-install windows but I dont want to do that if I can help it

Can anyone help?

Once it sees the second processor, you should be able to go to device manager - and under you computer, change it from the uniprocessor to multiprocessor.

Right click the uniprocessor - as shown in picture, what options do you have?

post-11-1048527231.jpg

I do not think so - I have not had to test this in awhile. But I just did a win2k machine awhile back, and did not have to reinstall.

Hi guys

I have an Asus P2BD running a PIII 500 and i have Just come across an identical processor. So I thought "what the hell" and I installed it as a second CPU.

My question is how do I get XP (Pro) to recognise it. There are 2 CPU's in device manager, but I read somewhere that it should show up in task manager also?? I know I could re-install windows but I dont want to do that if I can help it

Can anyone help?

Thanks?:D:D

If you see two CPU's in the device manager, yet are using ACPI Uniprocessor PC, right click on that and select "update driver" then click on "INSTALL From a list or specific location )advanced)" then click "next" then select "Do Not Search, i will choose the driver to install" then click "next" then from the list there change the driver to be "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" if availible. if you don't see it you may in fact have to re-install windows.

I think you can make it say it's SMP but it won't do the necessary changes.

Anyways though, if you can infact do it then xStainDx's instructions are correct.

But I want to add that if you DO have to reinstall, that you can just do a repair install, which will leave all your applications and files intact just reinstall windows itself and that may work.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Thanks for the replies guys

I think it looks like ill have to re-install windows :no:

Thanks anyway

I really do not think you need to do that - I know I added cpu to win2k without reinstall. So how would it be that win2k can add 2nd proc without reinstall - but need to do in xp?

Only dual machine I have sitting here is my linux server - not sure I want to take it down to test with. Pretty sure I have some old dual junk boxes at work. Think I might have do a little testing.