Screensaver kicking in during media playback

I am having this annoying problem. I use media player classic to play all my videos and for some reason the screen saver always starts during playback even though it shouldn't. I am using Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. This problem just started happening no more than 4 days ago. The only new things I installed were some Microsoft security updates and an ATI driver hotfix. Can anyone help me out. Thank you.

P.S. Please don't tell me to disable the screensaver because that's not a solution.

(sorry for the typo in the title, my "v" key doesn't always work)

Edited by Colin-uk
fixed title

I had this problem in Windows Vista and WMP11 myself.

I went into WMP11 > Tools > Options and first tab [player] should have "Allow screen saver during playback" make sure that is disabled.

Next, change the screen saver to something else, save and change it back. Should reset its settings

I had this problem in Windows Vista and WMP11 myself.

I went into WMP11 > Tools > Options and first tab [player] should have "Allow screen saver during playback" make sure that is disabled.

Next, change the screen saver to something else, save and change it back. Should reset its settings

I will try that, thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have the same problem with my Dell Studio 540 (Vista Home Premium 64 bit). I followed your directions (make sure screensaver is disabled/then change screensaver, save, and change it back again). However, when I play a video on www.dailymotion.com, it still kicks in.

Very, very annoying.

The only way to prevent the screen saver from activating is... disable it. Some apps like WMP will prevent it, and there are also utilities that will disable it if you put the pointer in the corners of your screen.

Password protected screensavers should come on anyways: disabling that is a security problem.

If WMP can't disable a non-password protected screensaver, it's probably a UAC/permissions issue where the player isn't able to tell the screensaver to wait.