Does the iPhone 3G have push email?

Just wondering if someone can quickly answer this with a source to back up the claim.

How does the push email work? Is it like blackberry where you would get a @mac.com or @me.com mobileme email account which acts like a forwarder for all your other emails accounts?

you know... like blackberry gives you a personal @mobileprovider.blackberry.net address ?

the only one truly pushed is the @me.com address. All other email is checked at a specified amount of time (15 minutes and up) or manually depending on your settings.

Mobileme and Yahoo are the main providers that offer push. There are other services like Mail2Web (http://www.mail2web.com/) that you can use to push your email to your iPhone. You can set it up with your Gmail/other account.

One problem i have seen with the iPhone 2.1 software is that if you have it on fetch enabled it will not work if you have the auto sleep enabled. You need to disable auto sleep and thats when fetch will start working. Remember: if you disable auto sleep you will need to put the iPhone to sleep using the sleep/wake button.

Mobileme and Yahoo are the main providers that offer push. There are other services like Mail2Web (http://www.mail2web.com/) that you can use to push your email to your iPhone. You can set it up with your Gmail/other account.

One problem i have seen with the iPhone 2.1 software is that if you have it on fetch enabled it will not work if you have the auto sleep enabled. You need to disable auto sleep and thats when fetch will start working. Remember: if you disable auto sleep you will need to put the iPhone to sleep using the sleep/wake button.

well this sucks! (as Daffy Duck would say) lol

so does this mobileme and yahoo work without jailbreaking it ?

well this sucks! (as Daffy Duck would say) lol

so does this mobileme and yahoo work without jailbreaking it ?

Yes, both MobileMe and Yahoo support push services without the need to jailbreak your phone.

The thing is if you get a blackberry you get push email inlcuded for free no extra cost like mobileme or .mac accounts.

the blackberry works out cheaper for all the services...unlimited data browsing, push email, + phone in 1 package set fee.... it only varies if you roam or go over your minutes.

MobileME and Activesync aren't true "push" services, more like "nudge" ;)

They work by keeping a TCP connection for a specified period of time. If no new data (mail, sync info, etc) comes down the pipe, a heartbeat (keep alive) is sent and the whole thing restarts.

In a perfect world, this works quite nicely, but is certainly not without its flaws.

The Blackberry has TRUE push mail - which actually gets your carrier and RIM involved in the process. All mail is actually routed through RIM's servers, which them talk to your carrier and locate your machine via a unique identifier on the carrier's network...the mail is then sent right over to your device. It is a more "obtrusive" push method, but it has the highest reliability.

With all being said and done, I am not a Blackberry fan one bit (proud iPhone owner, actually!) - but I do love their push implementation.

MobileME and Activesync aren't true "push" services, more like "nudge" ;)

They work by keeping a TCP connection for a specified period of time. If no new data (mail, sync info, etc) comes down the pipe, a heartbeat (keep alive) is sent and the whole thing restarts.

In a perfect world, this works quite nicely, but is certainly not without its flaws.

The Blackberry has TRUE push mail - which actually gets your carrier and RIM involved in the process. All mail is actually routed through RIM's servers, which them talk to your carrier and locate your machine via a unique identifier on the carrier's network...the mail is then sent right over to your device. It is a more "obtrusive" push method, but it has the highest reliability.

With all being said and done, I am not a Blackberry fan one bit (proud iPhone owner, actually!) - but I do love their push implementation.

Great post, you're absolutely right on all counts. It's not quite 'true' push, which is why some of Apple's marketing materials have removed the term from use. But it's as near to 'push' as you can get.

Services like push email to devices and such is probably the only thing that will ever force the adoption of IPv6 and the banishment of an internet ruined by being NAT'ed to hell and back.