Best processor for Intel 925X Express Chipset?

Hi, my brother would like to upgrade his PC on the cheap, meaning just replacing a few components on his aging dell. Whats the fastest processor that should fit this motherboard?

Thanks.

Which type and model number of Dell computer is it; for example a Dimension 3100, etc? This will help determine exactly what upgrades would be available for that specific computer, as Dell publish full reference information for most, if not all, of their computers (some of which do not have a user-upgradable processor as it is soldered to the motherboard).

You should be able to get a Pentium 4 HT 3.2 GHz processor for that machine (Prescott) along with some DDR2 memory modules according to the service manual.

Inside of the service manual you will also find instructions for removing and replacing several system components, which should aid you in servicing the unit.

The socket type on the machine is LGA775 would physically allow you to install a newer processor (Pentium D or Core 2 Duo), however not only do these processors have different power requirements (and therefore the computer would most likely not even turn on), neither the chipset or the BIOS itself would be able to support the newer processors.

My recommendation if you are looking to get a major speed boost out of the computer would be to install a recent graphics card in the PCI-E slot and upgrade the RAM up to about 2 to 4 GB (please keep in mind that when using a video card with a lot of graphics memory on a 32-bit computer with 4 GB of RAM you will not be able to address all of the memory), and perhaps upgrade the hard drive to a high density 7,200 RPM disk, perhaps with 500 GB of storage. That should breath quite a bit of life into that computer.

Also, keep in mind that if you install a graphics card with a higher power requirement such as a GeForce 9800 or a 2xx series, you may need a more capable power supply than what Dell provides; therefore I would recommend a mid-range card such as the 9600 for your needs.