DVD playback in Win2k is jerky

Well, not always jerky, but at regular intervals it chokes, stutters, then recovers and is peachy for about four or five minutes longer. WTF? This is a brand new Creative PC-DVD ovation (no decoder card) running on the following config:

ASUS A7A266 Mainboard

Athlon Thunderbird 1.2GHz

512MB DDR SDRAM

GeForce 2 GTS/32MB DDR

* Using NVidia Detonator3 v12.41 drivers

Creative SB Live! MP3+5.1

* Using lates Live!Ware drivers

Maxtor 13.6GB HDD (Primary Master)

PC-DVD Ovation (Primary Slave)

Sony CRX-142E CD-RW (Secondary Master)

Imation LS120 Superdrive (Secondary Slave)

Windows 2000 Service Pack 2

Playback through WinDVD, which is what came with it....perhaps there's something better?

Should I be using a decoder card?

I checked NVidia's site as well, and found this....

(http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=IO_20010528_5341)

How have you improved the DVD and HDTV quality in the

GeForce 2 GTS?

Created: April 26, 2000

Question:

How have you improved the DVD and HDTV quality in the

GeForce 2 GTS?

Answer:

The GeForce2 GTS has a High-Definition Video Processor

(HDVP) which is solely dedicated for video

encoding/decoding . The HDVP unit of GeForce2 GTS is the

industry's only all-format HD capable GPU. The DVD and HD

playback capabilities of GeForce2 GTS are world class,

offering full frame rates and high quality.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem, and its probably 2 things. First you are not using DMA mode on your drive. Second, you are not using hardware decoding. Windvd is not that great, but PowerDVD (only when with the latest patch) is great. Just make sure you are using the hardware decoder that is on your video card!

DMA is enabled for the drive. In fact, it's on a DMA 66 controller. I'm not using a hardware decoder of any kind but I'm thinking it might not be a half bad idea. The question would then become, why don't I just buy a damn DVD [;ayer for the living room and forget this? :D

The problem persists in XP and the only common thing is the WinDVD software. PowerDVD, you say? I'll give it a shot, I looked at it a little and it's clunkier as far as ease of use but seemed pretty solid. And it does screen caps!

Thx all

I'd buy an add-in card.. Real Magic are the best. You can pick one up for about 50 quid in the UK .. Easy to crack the region codes got support for Digital Sound and the best TV out of any graphics card I have used.

I have used one for about 3 years.. and never had any problems.. even works perfectly in XP using the 2K drivers