UFC 94

ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP? ANNOUNCES UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2

Las Vegas, NV (USA) ? In March 2006, top welterweights Georges St-Pierre and BJ Penn fought for the division?s No. 1 contender?s spot. St-Pierre earned a razor-thin split decision and went on to win the Ultimate Fighting Championship? welterweight title. Penn dropped to the lightweight division and won the organization?s 155-pound title.

Now they?re about to do it again. But this time, there?s much more at stake.

UFC? lightweight champion BJ Penn looks to be the first fighter in history to hold two UFC championships at the same time when he faces Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight championship at UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, January 31, 2009.

Two champions, two of the best in the world, pound-for-pound, and this time ? two more rounds for the welterweight championship.

?This may be the most anticipated rematch in UFC history,? said Dana White, UFC President. ?Their first fight was an epic battle of two of the best pound for pound fighters in the sport. After that fight, St-Pierre would go on to win the UFC World Welterweight title and Penn would go on to win the UFC World Lightweight title.

Now these two champions meet again with a lot of pride and St-Pierre's title on the line. This fight will be talked about for years to come.?

Tickets for UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2 will go on sale Sunday, November 16 at 10 a.m. PT and will be priced at $750, $500, $300, $200, $100 and $50. Tickets are available at the MGM Grand Garden Arena box office, all Ticketmaster locations, and by telephone at 800-929-1111 or 702-891-7777 and all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (select Smith?s Food and Drug Centers, Macy?s West at the Fashion Show Mall and Ritmo Latino). To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (702) 474-4000. Tickets also are available for purchase at ufc.com, www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com.

UFC? Fight Club? members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Thursday, November 13 at 10 a.m. PT via the website ufc.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Saturday, November 15 starting at 10am PT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through ufc.com.

UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2 will be available live on pay-per-view at 10 p.m. EST/7 p.m. PST on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH Network, TVN, Bell ExpressVu, Shaw Communications and Viewer?s Choice Canada for a suggested retail price of $44.95 for standard definition or high-definition broadcasts (where available).

One of the sport?s most dynamic athletes, Georges St-Pierre (17-2) will be prepared to go five rounds to defend his UFC welterweight championship. The Montreal, Canada native has won his last four fights and nine out of his last 10. Most recently, the popular champ defeated number one contender Jon Fitch in a five round war, and at 27, he is in the prime of his brilliant fighting career and looking to send Penn back to the 155-pound weight class.

?I'm very honored to fight BJ Penn and very excited because it's the fight that everybody wants to see, including myself,? said St-Pierre. ?It will be one of the most anticipated fights in UFC history, and I'm glad and humbled to be a part of it.?

The welterweight division is old hat for Hilo, Hawaii?s BJ Penn (14-4-1). The current UFC lightweight champion earned the welterweight title in 2004 with a submission victory over UFC legend Matt Hughes. But Penn has been even more untouchable since moving back to the lightweight division. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has won his last three fights against three world-class foes in Jens Pulver, Joe Stevenson and Sean Sherk. But the only thing on Penn?s mind right now is a return to the welterweight division for a healthy dose of revenge.

?For that fight, I was at a point in my career where I didn?t prepare as well as I should have,? Penn said. ?During the second and third

round I realized that I ran into someone that wanted it more than I did?Now, I?m very prepared to go five rounds.?

http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2008/11/11...ierre-vs-penn-2

Penn is going to die...

I think Pierre is going to have his hands full once again. Although we have seen the dominance of St. Pierre over the past few fights that he's had, he still hasn't shown a willingness to strike with anyone. This would be the reason why many fans consider him to have become a bit more one-dimensional as of late.

Hands down, B.J. Penn could fight in K-1 and be a top striker. That's literally unheard of from a MMA standpoint. Sure, K-1 guys have crossed over, but it's completely different. They have great striking skills, but zero ground game. BJ combines not only unbelievable devastating and accurate blows (i.e. Sean Sherk fight), but he also has the best ground game at LW, if not WW.

I'll actually be buying this card, and hopefully my press credential will go through this time as well and I can sit cageside. It should be a great battle.

i would have to pick GSP.. not just because i'm a fan of his, i just think overall he's just more well rounded honestly. Don't get me wrong about bj.. i love him and he's got amazing striking and submission skills, i just think it's gonna be very tough to utilize that with gsp to the full extent.

I still believe their first fight has a lot of premonitions about how this fight will go. While GSP has definitely become a ground tactician and overall just a powerhouse on the floor, BJ still picked GSP apart easily in their first fight. With the fact that BJ not only broke a rib in the first fight, he still hung in strong and could have easily won that decision had their been a difference in judging.

I think GSP's dominance in the WW division and his last few fights has been well received by the fanbase, but I think people are looking at this battle as another GSP domination. I will refrain from "dropping knowledge" or "spewing nuthuggery" as I'm not favoring either as my favorite fighter. I will say that BJ has the ground advantage even with GSP's power. I believe BJ still has an unbelievably active guard that really causes opponents to fight for their safety from the submission, nulling any damaging attacks. GSP is hands down beaten on the feet in this fight, once again much like the first fight. The ground is where this will be decided.

On a side note, I'll be curious to see how well GSP has adapted to the ground with his new BJJ training in Brazil. The flexibility of BJ will be tough to overcome.

As much as I dislike BJ Penn, I have to honestly think he has the better chance in this fight. Like LRoling said, he is a dangerous fighter from his guard, and GSP is going to have a hard time dealing with that.

They had a rough first fight but I believe BJ will be in much better shape for this scrap. Problem is GSP has looked to be a very complete fighter lately, maybe even moreso rounded than Silva. Still I gotta cheer a fellow Hawaiian FTW.

BJ Penn for the win. His ground game is better than GSP.

i wouldn't say that. remember when st pierre destroyed one of the best wrestlers in the UFC at wrestling (koschek). St. Pierre is amazing at EVERYTHING. Add the fact he is near impossible to take down...

BJ Penn is going to be very hard for GSP to beat, but I think that GSP is going to have to beat him on the ground, I don't like his chances when they're both standing.

I really want GSP to win, but this is a realllly close one.

• 1 month later...
i wouldn't say that. remember when st pierre destroyed one of the best wrestlers in the UFC at wrestling (koschek). St. Pierre is amazing at EVERYTHING. Add the fact he is near impossible to take down...

Koschek tbh is not that good. Penn's balance is almost perfect the only thing he needs to worry about is stamina. JSP is a monster but I think Penn has this one. Penn will destroy JSP.

To be honest, I don't like Penn's cockiness. Same with Rashad Evans, which is why I wanted Griffin to win.

Penn thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread :unsure:

Go GSP!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep can't wait for a few of the fights tonight. I think Thiago Silva will beat Machida and it is gonna be a good fight. Same with Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida, the stare down at the weigh-ins was intense and that fight is going to be a banger! That is my pick for fight of the night right there. And of course the main event! Even tho the undercard is not stacked like it was at "The Ultimate 2008" the matches are setup to be great.

Can't wait!