E-Explorer (replacement for Vista Game Explorer)

Hi guys

I have created a new RSS feed/blog thingo for those of you who are technically minded, are developers, or want to know what's taking me so damn long to finish this program ;)

It's called the "E-Explorer: Techincal Progress" feed and is basically a journal of what I'm currently working on, and what obstacles I'm running into. If you know a thing or two about programming and/or the inner workings of the WGE, WMI, or working with resources inside .dll and .exe files, I encourage you to subscribe as you may be able to help me out occasionally.

The available feeds are listed here:

http://gameeditor.webnode.com/rss/

Copy one of the 3 links on that page and paste it into the 'Add Subscription' section of your RSS reader (i.e. Google Reader)

Regards

Ryan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to pry, but does anyone know what happened to this or Ryan?

What tends to happen is that Neowin never/rarely sends me emails when people reply to these topics, but anyway

I'll be 100% honest with you all, I haven't worked on this in a few months, and as of this moment my PC is broke (house got flood damage last weekend).

The slightly better news is that I have the parts I need to get the PC working again tomorrow (HDDs are fine). Julius also got in touch with me last week offering to help again (he's been promoted and now has more free time, how good is that?). We'll continue to work on this on weekends.

Why haven't I posted in ages? Simply, I'm getting annoyed at myself for missing my own deadlines. I would've liked to have it finished a year ago, then I missed that one, then I hoped to have it ready for Windows 7, missed that one as well, so I thought I might try for early 2010, yeah that hasn't worked either. I felt bad for letting you guys down (even if I am only volunteering and so on) so I've kept quiet, and won't post news until it's definite.

Regards

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for explaining it all. If this is of any help (coming from a stranger on the Internet), I at least appreciates the work you are doing. Keep working at the pace you feel comfortable with, and hopefully you will soon be able to release the program as you want it.

• 5 months later...

Ryan, has here been any progress on E-Explorer? This is probably one of the best freeware extensions of Windows ever, I hope it doesn't just go away. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I've never really used Windows Seven's Game Explorer, all my games are on Steam, or I know where they are on the start menu. This sounds very interesting though, keep it up! If you add Steam games support, you've got a user! :)

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't mind taking this up if there's enough interest, it has been a while since I've done anything purely C++/WinAPI in a while and I wouldn't mind taking up a project like this.

Okay, just decided to take a look at the game explorer back-end and it's all rather simple (virtually everything is done through WMI) and I have no idea why it took the previous guy a year to come up with a 10 minute job: http://localhostr.co.../list_games.exe (literally took 10 minutes to do with no previous experience with the Games Explorer)

What I'm failing to understand though is the need for a remake of Windows' own Games Explorer, which is rather decent from what I can tell. I wouldn't mind committing to it if I actually knew what I was supposed to improve on the original design of the Games Explorer which would make it better.

• 1 month later...

Okay, just decided to take a look at the game explorer back-end and it's all rather simple (virtually everything is done through WMI) and I have no idea why it took the previous guy a year to come up with a 10 minute job: http://localhostr.co.../list_games.exe (literally took 10 minutes to do with no previous experience with the Games Explorer)

What I'm failing to understand though is the need for a remake of Windows' own Games Explorer, which is rather decent from what I can tell. I wouldn't mind committing to it if I actually knew what I was supposed to improve on the original design of the Games Explorer which would make it better.

Sweet wondered if this was ever goin to get picked up, I have to agree the windows game explorer is fine but adding games to it is hard and the old project (vista game explorer editor) was fine but had a lof of feats missing that others could do manually, like game ratings, experiance indexing etc.

I love having all my games new and old in one place and I have little time to add them to WGE manually and with the old VGEE some games would get added right also when steam changed there entire platform you can't add them any more.

I think what the OP was trying to do with E-Explorer was make a WGE that worked on xp aswell as vista and 7.

• 3 months later...

After downloading and running it, I am not certain what this program does. Would you please clarify?

• 2 years later...

i have been reading the entire posts here ,i'm craving to see this program ,is there any chance in hell we could get our hands on this

what happened to this guy

72001 and Ryan

Im really not a conspiracy nut, but maybe microsoft hired him

• 1 month later...

Im really not a conspiracy nut, but maybe microsoft hired him

Nope, I'm no where near a good enough programmer for that (can't you tell already?, lol)

Work in itself takes too much time, I am also a forum moderator elsewhere and I'm helping Slightly Mad Studios with Project CARS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ISc8r6SCY

I haven't done any programming since my last update to VGEE a while back, and in the interest of being honest no longer can see myself working on this project. Most of my games are on Steam these days anyway; I haven't used the game explorer in ages.

Hopefully someone else picks this up for you guys.