Basic Questions Regarding Projectors

Budget is most important part of this. I'd like to not have to drop more than $450 for one of these. Will this provide a good enough picture for occasional movie watching and video games?

I plan on mounting it to the floor and projecting onto the sloped ceiling. Could there be any problems with this? I'm going to build a protective box for it so the unit itself getting stepped on wont be a problem.

I notice when searching online for these that they fall into the catagory of Business projectors and Home Theatre projectors. What exactly is the difference? I'm assuming it has something to do with the readability of text. I plan on using this mostly for movies but I still want text to be readable if its hooked up to a computer.

Suggestions for specific models would be great!

~hobbly

yeah, you're not really going to be able to get a good HOME THEATER projector for that. Business projectors are made to be really bright to see in conference rooms and are more aimed at slideshows and such, not actually movies. If you wait till blackfriday if you live in the us you might find some deals, but since they are kind of a niche market its rare. The reason you want to get a decent HT projector is because when you have a **** picture, its 100+ inches of ****ty picture and its really hard to not notice.Also, why are you displaying it on a sloped ceiling, as opposed to a flat wall?

Some low budget ones off the top of my head are

Optoma has a few two are HD65, HD71

Mitsubishi HC1600/1500 (Some say the newer 1600 is inferior to the 1500 because of its color wheel, but the 1600 will give a brighter picture for a room with ambient light, either way I doubt many would notice the difference)

Panasonic AX200U

Also when looking for a projector take into consideration the display technology(LCD, DLP). If you are going to have trouble positioning it, it may be best to go with LCD though, because you are able to shift the lens up and down, but in DLP's the lens is fixed.

Another thing, dont go off buying some screen, their are many DIY options

Looking at BestBuy.com, the lowest cost projector is (on sale) $522 for a Epson. And it's only 800x600 so you're far from HD.

You have a bunch of 1024x768 projectors, same resolution than past generation Plasma HDTV, pseudo 720p... (real 720p is 1280x720).

For $929, you get a Mitsubishi - DLP HD Home Theater Projector, and it's FullHD. But it's on the low-end quality...

So... You'll go nowhere with $450....

I think you should be able to get an Infocus X1 at that price. They're great. Its old and all, I have one though and it works pretty damn good, even after 5 years. 4000 hours seems to go a long way. Its DLP with a native res of 800x600. It really does look great though. I don't think you can get much better then that at that price. But then I haven't been looking at that market for a long time.

For $929, you get a Mitsubishi - DLP HD Home Theater Projector, and it's FullHD. But it's on the low-end quality...

Who told you that is low-end quality? Because its Mitsubishi? Big brand names that apply to regular LCD/Plasmas dont really apply to projectors. Optoma, BenQ, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Epson, InFocus, are all big brand names in the projector world. You really dont see much of the big three(samsung, sony, and sharp) in home theater projectors. As for that projector you posted, it is actually one of the best ones for someone with a low budget, but as I said earlier it has a fixed lens so it might be hard for him to position, especially if he's putting it on the floor. If he really wants that one though, you can get a refurbished one for less then $700.

• 4 months later...

If you're moiunting it on the floor don't forget about keystone - you'll need that...

Here's the quality of hte image:

LCOS>DLP>3LCD The epson and the Mitsubishi ones are 3LCD I believe which means a slightly crapier image, but if it's only occasional game / movie use you should be fine. Keep in mind non-LED projectors need bulb changes every 3000 or so hours and the bulbs aint cheap...