[Boxing] Lewis considering boxing comeback

?70m Will Bring Me Back!

Lennox Lewis moved a step closer to a return to the boxing ring when he revealed that he could be tempted out of retirement for a ?70m payday.

"If someone wants to pay me serious money, US$100m or so, then I will fight again," he told the Mail on Sunday.

The former heavyweight champion, 43, has not fought since retaining his WBC title against Vitali Klitschko in 2003.

"I don't have to do this, I don't need money and my legacy speaks for itself. But boxing needs me," said Lewis.

"The heavyweight game is so boring now. All the characters are gone.

"It would have to be nearer US$100m to make me say yes, but there are people out there who can get that kind of money together.

"There are a lot of people who would pay to see me fight again. It would be exciting, for the sport and for me. And if I come back it will be to win, not play."

Lewis insisted that he was not falling into the trap of so many before him, by coming back for the wrong reasons.

Instead, he said any comeback would be based purely on a love of the sport.

"Boxers usually come back or continue fighting for two reasons," said Lewis, who retired with a record of 41 wins, two losses and a draw.

"Either the atmosphere of the crowd or the money. Me? I don't need either, I'm happy as I am.

"But I think the sport needs me and I love my sport. And I don't like seeing it the way it is. I would like to save my sport."

In recent weeks, heavyweights Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe have announced comebacks.

Only Tyson, Bruno and Ali to go and we have an exciting division again! :laugh:

Lewis coming back may be interesting, the problem is the sheer lack of talent in the division to face him. He might just get his payday if only to bring back some much needed spark in the division!

Lewis dismisses talk of comeback

Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis has played down talks of a return after reports he could be tempted back into the ring for ?70m.

The 43-year-old was quoted as saying he would consider fighting for around that amount, but told BBC Radio 5 Live he said he was not planning a comeback.

"Nobody has made any offers, I've been there and done that," he told Garry Richardson on Sportsweek.

"I don't think there is any offer that would get me back in the ring."

Lewis has not fought since retaining his WBC title against Vitali Klitschko in 2003 and the Russian has said he would be interested in a re-match, something Lewis is not interested in.

"I've accomplished all my goals," he added. "Obviously Vladimir Klitscho has me on his mind which is great but I don't see myself coming back, no.

"The amount quoted is a lot of money so a lot of people would be looking at me and saying 'are you mad?'

"Money doesn't really inspire me in a sense, it's all about the glory with me. I would say what glory is there coming back and facing a man I've already beaten?

"The reasons he's calling me back is for selfish reasons and he needs to create his own legacy and go and fight all the necessary people that he needs to fight."

In recent weeks, former heavyweights Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe have announced comebacks.

And Lewis appeared to pave the way for a return after he was quoted in the Mail on Sunday as saying that if the money was right then he would comeback for the good of the sport.

"I don't have to do this, I don't need money and my legacy speaks for itself. But boxing needs me," said Lewis, who retired with a record of 41 wins, two losses and a draw.

"The heavyweight game is so boring now. All the characters are gone.

"It would have to be nearer $100m to make me say yes, but there are people out there who can get that kind of money together.

"There are a lot of people who would pay to see me fight again. It would be exciting, for the sport and for me. And if I come back it will be to win, not play."

Source - BBC Sport

That's the end of that then! Oh well... Back to boring heavyweights!