[MMA] Randy Couture vs. Chuck Liddell IV in works for Germany

Will it Happen?!?

After competing in three legendary light-heavyweight fights, former UFC champions Randy Couture (16-9 MMA, 13-6 UFC) and Chuck Liddell (21-6 MMA, 16-5 UFC) could now meet during a heavyweight encounter at a June 13 event in Cologne, Germany.

The report comes from the U.K.-based The Sun, which cites UFC officials as saying Liddell has been offered the heavyweight main event.

Couture recently lost his heavyweight belt to Brock Lesnar at UFC 91. Liddell, meanwhile, has dropped three of his four past fights at light heavyweight, but he's made no public statement regarding a potential move up to heavyweight.

A source told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Couture is open to a fourth Liddell fight, but we've been unable to confirm is the fight has been offered to Liddell.

With the event apparently in the works for Germany, it should come as little surprise that the UFC invited a small contingent of German press to UFC 91 to see Couture's main event with Lesnar. The 45-year-old Couture speaks German and has long been considered a likely headliner once the UFC does head to Germany, a market UFC officials have continually mentioned as a site for future expansion.

Couture and Liddell took part in a popular trilogy of fights that played out between 2003 and 2006. Couture scored a third-round TKO at UFC 43 to win the first match-up for the interim light heavyweight title (former champ Tito Ortiz had been stripped of the title), but the 38-year-old Liddell won back the belt and made a successful title defense over Couture with knockout wins at UFC 52 and UFC 57.

Please no. They have already been down this road 50 times before. It's just, well, a boring matchup/idea anymore. The well should be dry, but it isn't. There will probably still be a large amount of people excited.

The only thing that makes this the SLIGHTEST bit interesting, is the fact that it may take place at heavyweight.

And even then Christopher it's not THAT much to be excited for.

Why not an Silva vs Couture at light heavyweight, or Silva vs the winner of Forrest vs Evans at light heavyweight.

^ Yeah no kidding, Liddell and Couture seem to be past their due date now.

Couture can still beat any heavyweight (bar Lesnar) in the HW div in UFC atm.

Yeah that's true, I still really like him, he's just getting pretty old.

I think Liddell is definitely past his prime though, I believe he is 37 and he's lost around 3 or 4 fights recently.

I suppose he does :p

UFC 99 I am reading they might fight.

Silva and Mir? Anybody that can punch a hole in Mir's head would be fine by me. After this last season of TUF, I lost a lot of respect for that scumbag.