Windows xp slow booting to login screen

Whenever i boot up my pc it shows the windows xp professional splash screen after that a black screen shows up and stays for like a minute than the logon screen finally appears. How can i fix this problem.

Use a boot time defragmenter.

Diskeeper and O&O Defrag are the best options available. (O&O is the best)

During the black screen time Windows is initializing your video and other drivers for the pc. If have done a lot of hardware upgrades try booting into Safe Mode (during boot hold down F5 for a list of options or F8 to go straight into Safe Mode) and uninstall duplicate and unistalled hardware through the Device Manager. (be careful because choosing "uninstall" will actually remove the driver files from your system.)

To further decrease boot time remove additional fonts which are no longer needed and stop non-critical applications from loading on start. (go to Start > Run > type "msconfig". In the new dialog, click the "Startup" tab and uncheck any programs you wish not to load with Windows)

You can also clean up detached/dead registry entries safely and easily using a freeware application called RegClean (which is available from www.microsoft.com) Keep running the application until the "Fix Errors" button no longer shows. Be sure to save the backup *.reg files the application creates in case of a catastrophic registry failure. (it's rare but it does happen)

I hope this helps. Let me know how you make out.

You might want to look into a tool called bootvis. It's from Microsoft and is supposed to speed up boot time by rearranging the files loaded by Windows before logon. You should be able to search for it via google.

The thing is that, it works great for some people, but others never want to touch it because it did something bad to their system.

My own personal experience is that it barely does anything noticeable.

There are other things you may be able to do to remedy your issue, but you'd need to be more descriptive. More info goes a long way in troubleshooting. Like, when did this first happen? What did you do before this happened? etc.

gadean's tips are good too, but I'd be wary of using Diskeeper for the boot defrag. It borked my system once.

Also disable all starting up progs in RUN type msconfig and then find starup and disable the progs starting up woth windows I have everything disable and my Windows boots really quick

Good luck

Also disable all starting up progs in RUN type msconfig and then find starup and disable the progs starting up woth windows I have everything disable and my Windows boots really quick

Good luck

Already mentioned above. =)

Thanks for all your help but I think my problem is my usb 2.0 drivers when i take it off it boots to the login right away after the splash screen but when i have the drivers installed it takes forever

Thanks for all your help but I think my problem is my usb 2.0 drivers when i take it off it boots to the login right away after the splash screen but when i have the drivers installed it takes forever

well how many USB devices do you have plugged in?

the boot will take longer, because anything plugged in to the USB Port must be initialized.

You should be using the Drivers from Service Pack 1.

Unless you keep the USB devices unplugged during boot time you are limited to the speed at which the devices can initialize and add themselves to the hardware pool.