Plasma or LCD?

If you're talking about burn in here, Burn in is no longer an issue with plasma's and haven't been for a long time. Heck I get more image retention on my own 42 inch LCD than the new plasma's

Not true, my friend got a 50 inch Samsung plasma and after only 10 days he had a permanent EA sports logo in the top left from NBA Live 2009.

Not true, my friend got a 50 inch Samsung plasma and after only 10 days he had a permanent EA sports logo in the top left from NBA Live 2009.

lol I have heard the same thing from others..

It all depends on the brand,etc

double fail

1: he got a plasma and chose Samsung...

2: he didn't read the instrctions on how to properly run in the set

double fail

1: he got a plasma and chose Samsung...

2: he didn't read the instrctions on how to properly run in the set

It is true. While Plasmas are improving in terms of burn-in, they still haven't been completely eliminated. This is why most people today choose LCD over Plasma. Yes, LCDs do get image retention but that has to be extremely rare (such as leaving the image on for days). On LCD computer monitors, the Windows taskbar is always being shown, yet I've never seen any LCD monitor that got image retention from it.

Had my Plasma on a test image for 9 hours because I fell asleep, had some image retention for about 2 hours and it was gone. Been on static images for hours at the time and always goes away after an hour or so.

Plasma may not have entirely elimitated burn ins, but if you follow the run in procedure of your set, it actualy it if not 100% eliminted it is reduced to a level where the sets own features will "wash" it away.

Burn in on modern plasmas from the last few years, will clear themselves way at least as fast as LCD Image retention. I actually haven't seen burn in on the plasma's at work, not even the new Samsung, but I have seen image retention on LCD's

And actually, "most" people today, don't even know what burn in is, so no. Techies know what burn in is, and techies who know what they're talkign about, also know burn in is no longer an issue.

As just about everyone has said, go with Samsung LCDs. I would personally recommend spending more than $800 and go a little further with a newer TV model.

We own multiple Samsung LCDs, and only Sony Bravias rival them from what I can tell (albeit at a jacked up price).

Plasma is a dying technology from what I can tell, as it is receiving less and less shelf space in stores as time goes on. It may have been a good alternative to LCDs at one point, but LCDs have improved so much to the point where only the cheaper/low-end plasmas are selling, as many day to day people do not know the difference between the cheap TVs and expensive TVs.

I also think that uninformed people still get that "oooo" factor simply from the word plasma, so that can also lead to misguided sales.