Full HD playback

What are the minimum specs for playing HD?

I'm buying a full HD tv and I would like to connect a computer through VGA..

The computer is very quiet - 1.6 atom (it's Intel's integrated mainboard)

Will it play? :D

720p probably will while I am not sure about 1080p or 1080i...

Just give it a try, I'd say... you can always return the tv if you totally fail at attempting.

Are you sure about VGA? I'd even try an external USB video card maybe, that at least has DVI or even HDMI...

VGA combined with HD resolutions means ridiculous quality loss.

Glassed Silver:win

720p probably will while I am not sure about 1080p or 1080i...

Just give it a try, I'd say... you can always return the tv if you totally fail at attempting.

Are you sure about VGA? I'd even try an external USB video card maybe, that at least has DVI or even HDMI...

VGA combined with HD resolutions means ridiculous quality loss.

I will try - but the problem is that the mainboard has only one expansion slot - plain PCI! I think I'm gonna find a better computer with DVI! I can connect that to the HDMI? (because I can't buy a single VGA card with HDMI!)

DVI has the exact same quality as HDMI.

You're fine with that.

If you want to play protected HD video (HDCP protected videos are for example Bluray discs) at full quality, you need to use a HDCP capable DVI slot and converter, though.

(Your computer and DVI->HDMI adapter need to be HDCP capable that is)

Good luck!

I have my media centre PC hooked up to my TV and i play a lot of HD stuff.

My spec's are E6400 CPU and 2gb of RAM, 720p works fine but gets a bit choppy with 1080.

I would recommend you getting a motherboard or a graphics card with onboard decoding of HD so that the 1.6 Ghz atom does not lag behind in HD play-back. Also make sure you use a Codec that supports the hardware acceleration of these cards. I use an Intel Celeron 1.6 Ghz with a Nvidia 8600 GT and HD/ Blu-ray play perfectly.

If you want Blu-ray playback get an HDCP supported card as no software will allow you to watch Blu-ray movies with out it digitally. You can use AnyDVD to get rid of the Content protection but it takes time for Slysoft to fix issues that lie in new discs which AnyDVD might have a problem with.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm able to play 720p files no problem on my desktop or laptop.

Desktop is X2 4400 w/ 2GB of Ram and 7900GTX

Laptop is HP 2710p Tablet with C2D U7600 @ 1.20GHz and integrated video.

You should be able to get away with 720P no problem, but 1080p Blu-Ray might be choppy as others have said. A couple thoughts - If you are downloading / streaming HD - 720P will look fine and save some bandwidth. If you have a Blu-Ray drive in the PC, I believe there is a utility to check for minimum requirement playback.