Audio skipping when watching cable on QAM tuner.

Yesterday, when I was watching HD cable (Time Warner) on my QAM tuner, the audio would skip sometimes. All of a sudden the sound would echo and it would skip rapidly for a few seconds and then it would return to normal again. It happens on the speakers of my TV and also on my Home Theater System (which is hooked up via the optical cable). The coax cable that?s hooked up to my tuner was bought from the 99 cents store, so that may be the cause of it, but when I check the signal strength it seems to be ok. The signal strength is about 75%, which seems decent. And the video is not having any problems, it?s just the audio. Anyone here experience this problem? Also, does anyone know what is causing it? Is it due to the cheap coax cable I?m using?

Never mind. I did my own research and I found out that this problem is in most Samsung HDTV models. It's a problem called "Audio robot" and it happens after you unplug the TV (which I just did when I change the cable connections and now I have the problem). The only temporary solution is to reset the TV and the problem will go away (until I unplug the TV again). The only sure way to get rid of it is to subscribe the HD service, but I won't do that anytime soon as most cable programs are junk anyway.

I have 4 different Samsung LCD's at home and a Samsung Plasma here at work and none of them have ever done that.

I have heard of the problem, but I wouldn't say "most."

3 of my Samsung LCD's and the Plasma have a usb port where firmware updates can be done. Maybe look in to that...

QAM isn't very reliable anyways. It's free unencrypted channels. Half of the channels you have today might be gone tomorrow. Just pay for HD service. It's worth it.

I have 4 different Samsung LCD's at home and a Samsung Plasma here at work and none of them have ever done that.

I have heard of the problem, but I wouldn't say "most."

3 of my Samsung LCD's and the Plasma have a usb port where firmware updates can be done. Maybe look in to that...

QAM isn't very reliable anyways. It's free unencrypted channels. Half of the channels you have today might be gone tomorrow. Just pay for HD service. It's worth it.

What models do you have? I heard that it's mainly the 330 and 450 (which is what I have) models that do it. I checked for firmware and nothing new is available. On CNET, a Samsung Tech is looking into the problem but he/she still can't figure it out. I heard resetting the TV solves the problem, but it does return when you unplug it again. I'll reset the TV when I move the TV to its final spot next week.

I'm not sure if this problem occurs on the ATSC tuner as well, but I heard most people have the problem on QAM only.

What models do you have? I heard that it's mainly the 330 and 450 (which is what I have) models that do it. I checked for firmware and nothing new is available. On CNET, a Samsung Tech is looking into the problem but he/she still can't figure it out. I heard resetting the TV solves the problem, but it does return when you unplug it again. I'll reset the TV when I move the TV to its final spot next week.

I'm not sure if this problem occurs on the ATSC tuner as well, but I heard most people have the problem on QAM only.

you just answered my main question... I could not figure out why you would be unplugging your tv often.... but obviously your problem will be solved once you find the spot for it.

you just answered my main question... I could not figure out why you would be unplugging your tv often.... but obviously your problem will be solved once you find the spot for it.

I didn't unplug it often. I did it just once when I was changing the cable connections. With this faulty QAM tuner, it has to be plugged in all the time or else you'll get the robot audio problem. So if you unplug it, get a power outage, or a spike in the power line, the TV needs to be reset and all QAM channels needs to be reprogrammed.

And I did find the spot for it, but I need time to move my stuff around. When I'm on vacation in a week, then I'll start to move the TV to the proper spot.

Edited by xraffle

I moved the TV to its proper spot yesterday and I reset it. After the reset, the audio is fine. Based on my experience and what the people on the CNET forum said, a reset seems to temporarily solve the issue for everyone (but the issue returns once the set is unplugged or when you lose power). It's kind of strange that Samsung doesn't come up with some sort of firmware upgrade for this issue. This issues is kind of annoying. I heard the Sony HDTVs don't have this problem. I kind of wish I went with a Sony, but I went with a Samsung instead for three reasons: they?re cheaper, the picture quality is better (at least to my eyes, is it), and they had better reviews.

LN32A330?

Never had that kind of problem. Lucky me.

It happens on that model. I saw a lot of complaints at CNET. However, it seems to only occur when using Comcast or Time Warner Cable. So, if you're using a different cable company, then you're fine. Again, this only happens on the QAM tuner. If you have HD service (with a cable box), then you're fine.