Zero Punctuation: Mirror's Edge

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...57-Mirrors-Edge

I always agree with Yahtzee for the most part, and this time around I 1000% agree with him.

Mirror's Edge is extremely high on my list of most disappointing games of 2008 for various reasons, all of which he states much more eloquently than I could.

Not sure if i 100% agree with him really. The game was quite good and maybe you did do the same things over and over but i enjoyed it. It was short aswell which didn't help but overall the game was enjoyable.

I wouldn't go as far as to say its the biggest disappointment of 2008. There are quite a few i can name which fit that list easily and Mirror's Edge is not one of them.

I disagree, i played the demo, was very impressed, read some reviews and lost most of my enthusiasm but managed to trade it with a friend for saint's row 2 and fell in love with the game, the first playthrough was quite frustrating, lots of trial and error, but overall pretty good. The second playthrough though was a whole other story, i knew which way to go, had the controls all figured out and rushed through it like a real pro and it was extremely satisfying doing almost perfect runs on chapters.

Also, it's the best racing game i ever played, the time trials and speedruns call for absolute perfection and concentration and are very satisfying if you make it, it's a great game imo.

Art Direction = (Y)

Graphics = (Y)

Music = (Y)

Trying a new concept instead of rehash = (Y)

Most other things = (N)

Review = :laugh:

Frustrating game and a half.

I just hope that because it didn't come off exactly as planned EA don't give up hope trying original concepts like this. If the series is expanded on, maybe the second iteration will wipe away all the major current complaints.

Reason why Mirrors Edge was one of my biggest disappointments is because I actually think it could have been a great game, hence the disappointment aspect. If it just plain sucked, I would not be disappointed as it just sucked, but it had some fantastic aspects to it, the combat however definitely not being one of them.

I would rather there have been no combat at all, literally none. I also felt by Chapter 5 or so, I had seen pretty much every puzzle there was to see, and I could not help but think if they did not bother with the combat aspect, they could have put some more focus on better puzzles towards the end. And the ending was literally horrible; run, jump, cut scene. Really, really anti climactic IMO.

Great game.. one of my favs from this year i think :yes: Am i one of the few people that actually found the combat really fun? once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy..

Great review and agree with him, I found the game repetitive after a second demo play-through.

Of course it's going to be repetitive when you play the same exact thing over again :sleep:

Of course it's going to be repetitive when you play the same exact thing over again :sleep:

Yeah, because the rest of the game isn't like the demo at all ... oh wait :sleep:

I played a ton of demos in my lifetime and few have been as repetitive as this.