how would you rate ubuntu 8.10 ?

Once again, I never said that you are going around and changing your settings. Please don't make this into a "markjensen thinks I broke my install". It could be that Ubuntu is using a bad default due to something it sees in your hardware, and that is causing the performance issue.

im not upset, id just like the performance back along with the system to recognize the full 4gb of ram i have installed. i wonder if i should just go ahead and go back to 8.04 ?

Did 8.04 run speedy for you?

If so, since this is likely a detection & default config issue, I would appreciate if you could get a "sudo lshw -xml >8.10_lshw.xml" and possibly file a bug report with the config the installer selects in 8.10 with your hardware.

It will also help to fix this issue for others that have whatever it is that causes this problem. :yes:

It probably isn't worth the work to troubleshoot (especially with me as a guide, since I really am not that knowledgeable on advanced items), so I would recommend sticking with 8.04 if that works better for you.

Did 8.04 run speedy for you?

If so, since this is likely a detection & default config issue, I would appreciate if you could get a "sudo lshw -xml >8.10_lshw.xml" and possibly file a bug report with the config the installer selects in 8.10 with your hardware.

It will also help to fix this issue for others that have whatever it is that causes this problem. :yes:

It probably isn't worth the work to troubleshoot (especially with me as a guide, since I really am not that knowledgeable on advanced items), so I would recommend sticking with 8.04 if that works better for you.

yeah 8.04 seemed very speedy for me. now i can't log into my vista install so i don't know what to do. im probably going to format the laptop and i need to decide what to go with.

i did that command in the terminal but where does it store the log at ?

It would create an xml file right where your terminal opened, most likely right in the top of your home directory (unless you were cding to other locations).

It would create an xml file right where your terminal opened, most likely right in the top of your home directory (unless you were cding to other locations).

yeah i found it, where do i upload it too ?

thanks for the help yesterday mark, but i had to reformat my laptop anyways. i just decided to stick with vista for now. ill give linux another go sometime, i know i keep going back and forth but i do enjoy playing with linux. but i need a stable os right now and vista does that for me atm.

Not a problem. I didn't stick with Linux the first time I tried it. I guess the timing wasn't right for me at the time.

It will still be here 6 months down the road if you are interested in checking it out. :yes:

Not a problem. I didn't stick with Linux the first time I tried it. I guess the timing wasn't right for me at the time.

It will still be here 6 months down the road if you are interested in checking it out. :yes:

well this is like my 4th or 5th try with linux. :o

maybe the next build ill give it a go again, i heard there may be some major improvements.

Im running it right now, working pretty well, but it could be more responsive imo..

But I have opera, with flash 10 64 bit beta running well so I'm excited...And ubuntu itself seems to be running reasonably well.

I'm just not all that impressed with the performance. Seems about equal or even a little slower than vista.

Im running it right now, working pretty well, but it could be more responsive imo..

But I have opera, with flash 10 64 bit beta running well so I'm excited...And ubuntu itself seems to be running reasonably well.

I'm just not all that impressed with the performance. Seems about equal or even a little slower than vista.

see i felt my vista x64 install was much more responsive and quick. ill give it a go again when the next build comes out. i always come back to linux. :laugh:

Running it on a 1GHZ Dell latitude D400 with 512Mb and it works absolutely fine. I of course disable unnecessary services, things like the "evolution notifier" and Compiz and had no speed issues whatsoever. Moreover, it seems more stable (on my machine) than 8.04 and I am impressed by the improved hardware recognition. Everything worked out-of-the-box. I give it an 7,5

Still pretty good so far, except when I try to run Nexuiz (installed with ubuntu package manager) it freezes up my computer when I exit the game or try to change resolutions.

Then the other thing that bugs me is how flash player is all skippy. Well it's ok I guess, the problem is I'm on 64 bit and I installed the 64 bit flash player beta which is better than when I tried to use te 32 bit version.

My dinovo keyboard would never work when ubuntu boots up either, I'd have to unplug the usb thing and replug it in and then it would work. I'm just using my g15 now, since it was getting annoying.

^^^ I'm currently downloading and installing that same nexuiz app via an apt-get, but it seems to be a bit sluggish (6h16min remaining). I want to see if I can duplicate the problem.

^^^ I'm currently downloading and installing that same nexuiz app via an apt-get, but it seems to be a bit sluggish (6h16min remaining). I want to see if I can duplicate the problem.

K, thanks, it could be the fact im on 64 bit or my ati drivers. I just installed the newest ati 8.12 drivers...I don't even know if I did it right either. I just downloaded the file off of the ati driver website and did a ./ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/8.10

It seemed to work though, so idk.

As far as most everything goes, a solid 9 out of 10.

As far as wireless support for my card, 0 out of 10.

It's impossible to get it working, and that's sad, especially how common it is.

K, thanks, it could be the fact im on 64 bit or my ati drivers. I just installed the newest ati 8.12 drivers...I don't even know if I did it right either. I just downloaded the file off of the ati driver website and did a ./ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/8.10

It seemed to work though, so idk.

I didn't have any issues (other than lack of ability to survive very long) :p

The game started, I was able to change resolutions in their control panel to match my 1680x1050 resolution. And the game exited cleanly to my desktop. I am using 32-bit Ubuntu on an nVidia card, so there are a few differenced in our systems that could be contributing factors to your problem.

As far as most everything goes, a solid 9 out of 10.

As far as wireless support for my card, 0 out of 10.

It's impossible to get it working, and that's sad, especially how common it is.

From what I have heard, even cards where the manufacturer does not support Linux at all, the ndiswrapper is supposed to be able to use the Windows drivers to provide a connection of some sort.

But, yeah, I agree that vendor support has to get better (even if only vendors allow the Linux devs to view some card specs and write their own Linux driver themselves, to the hardware OEM isn't responsible for the software). The same spottiness exists for scanners, too. Many work, but a good percentage do not. :(

I tried the liveCD on my Macbook 2,1 and everything worked except the audio output from the headphone output...not sure if I actually installed it and ran updates if it would resolve the issue.

I tried looking around the web for a fix or if it would resolve the issue by running the updates but couldn't find any info regarding 8.10

9/10 for me

Edited by exo242

8.10 gets a 10 for me.

Detected my Bluetooth/WiFi switch

Added LED support for my WiFi

Kernel (not Ubuntu related) supports monitor mode for my card

Just amazing :) I want to try out KDE and XFC but Im just scared that Ill ruin my GNOME if I want to go back or something.

8.10 gets a 10 for me.

Detected my Bluetooth/WiFi switch

Added LED support for my WiFi

Kernel (not Ubuntu related) supports monitor mode for my card

Just amazing :) I want to try out KDE and XFC but Im just scared that Ill ruin my GNOME if I want to go back or something.

You aren't going to ruin your GNOME install just by installing a different desktop. GNOME remains untouched.

After installing a different desktop you just choose to use that one from the login manager. If that desktop doesn't fit your needs just logout and choose to login back to GNOME.

My vista partition just crashed after doing a windows update and won't boot any more, so I decided to put Ubuntu on my 8gb usb key and I'm absolutely loving it. Auto detected all my peripherals my wifi was ready to go and so was my laser printer. Funny thing is it took me about 10min of getting that printer working on vista (no vista drivers out for it and the xp ones don't work either) and it was ready to go when I turned on ubuntu. I haven't used Linux since 2004 and it has gotten more easier to use I must say. A definite 10/10 so far.

still on 8.04, is safe to jump now?

I updated through the package manager prompt from 8.04 to 8.10 the day it prompted me (a few days after the official release date).

It was hassle-free, and I got the new GIMP and OO.o that are part of the 8.10 set. I would recommend switching to 8.10 over 8.04, unless you run into a problem with 8.10 and have a reason to downgrade.

I didn't have any issues (other than lack of ability to survive very long) :p

The game started, I was able to change resolutions in their control panel to match my 1680x1050 resolution. And the game exited cleanly to my desktop. I am using 32-bit Ubuntu on an nVidia card, so there are a few differenced in our systems that could be contributing factors to your problem.

Ok, so I reinstalled ubuntu 8.10 (the 32 bit version) and got everything, drivers, etc, setup through synaptic. I install nexuiz and run it, and change resolutions....and the same thing still happens. It freezes the game and i have to ctrl+alt+backspace....

Heh, it must be the ati drivers.

Edit: Ok, so the most recent drivers ubuntu has to offer are the ati catalyst 8.10 drivers. I noticed this in the newest release notes of the 8.12 drivers (things they fixed):

Alientrap NEXUIZ,a delay may occurs when exiting the game

But the thing is, I installed the 8.12 drivers when I was running on 64 bit ubuntu, and the problem still happened. I think the drivers might actually fix it, but the thing I'm doing wrong is removing the 8.10 drivers.

How would I go about completely removing ALL drivers that have to do with my ati graphics card, that includes CCC, etc. I tried to remove them before, but there was still all this junk / drivers, etc still left over.