can this be done without JS

Question

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html is the page.

clicking the items on the sidebar updates the info in the main section making it easy to do a lot of info in one small page without reloading.

the effect is achieved with JS by looking through the source code which is fine if you use JS but if you have it disabled it kinda wrecks it all. anyone know of a way to do this without using JS and more of a "pure css" approach?

9 answers to this question

You could achieve this using the pseudo:hover class, as there don't appear to be any special effects that would directly depend upon JavaScript. Let me know if you want me to elaborate.

Steven

wouldn't pseudo hover start giving you grief in IE6?

if you could elaborate that would be good. im just looking to achieve something simple like google. vertical list and a box that the content updates in.

I really don't see how it's possible without JS. You could have it so it falls back to a simple page change when JS is not enabled, but I think that's the best your going to get.

I really don't see how it's possible without JS. You could have it so it falls back to a simple page change when JS is not enabled, but I think that's the best your going to get.

i'd thought that. its fairly easy to come across all manner of implementations of this sort of thing but they all use JS it seems. i might have to just go down that route.

You could do it similarly to pure CSS dropdown lists, but it will only work on hover and won't "stick", and will immediately revert once the mouse leaves the hover area. In other words, mostly, but very flakily.

wouldn't pseudo hover start giving you grief in IE6?

if you could elaborate that would be good. im just looking to achieve something simple like google. vertical list and a box that the content updates in.

Yeah, it would cause problems in IE6. As stated previously, it would only work if the user were to keep their mouse on the element that activated it - otherwise, it would disappear. JavaScript would be required to re-create the effect seen on the aforementioned Google Chrome page. :)

Steven