Receiver? Denon 1909 vs Sony DA2400ES

Just wanted to ask which sounds better? I'm not sure what to get as they are similarly priced. However I can get the sony for 360 quid while the denon costs around 460 pounds. I'm from denmark so it wont get any cheaper. From what I have read is that the sony has one more hdmi port and the denon has the audyssey dynamic volume etc and does not upconvert digital signals to 1080p.

I have an xbox 360, ps3 and will connect it to the pc. I've read good things about both so I'm not sure what to go for exactly. I'm pairing them up with a PSB B25 pair of speakers. Will get more speakers soon. Thanks.

Keep in mind I really hate Sony (I won't even let my son bring his PSP in the house lol) but in this case I would go for the Sony

I have the Denon AVR-1909 and I love it! It converts analog signals (composite, S-Video, component) to HDMI. I believe it does upconvert to 1080p, but why upconvert?

I have the AVR-1907 with KEF KHT200 5.2 speakers, and it sounds pretty funkin' sweet to me. Wish I had gotten a later model now though, with a few more connectivity options.

Also have a pair of Oldschool Cerwin Vaga VS Series speakers hooked up to it for music.

Whats the sound quality like on the 1909? Is the dynamic volume function useful?

I'm no audiophile but it sounds excellent to me. The dynamic volume must be dong it's job because I don't notice any jumps in volume.

I have the AVR-1907 with KEF KHT200 5.2 speakers, and it sounds pretty funkin' sweet to me. Wish I had gotten a later model now though, with a few more connectivity options.

Also have a pair of Oldschool Cerwin Vaga VS Series speakers hooked up to it for music.

I bought mine with Paradigm Cinema 70CTv.3 speaker package which includes:

• Cinema 70 Fronts and Surrounds
  • Cinema CC Center
  • PDR-8 Subwoofer

DENON RULES... No question...

Been a Denon guy for a very long time, you will not be disappointed...

Agreed! This is my first Denon. I chose it because my friend got a Denon (lower model) and I loved it. This won't be my last Denon, I'm hooked.

I read the sony has preouts, one extra hdmi and sounds better with music. But the denon has dynamic volume. I don't think I'd buy another amp so I suppose i dont really need the preouts or extra hdmi but I can get it 100 pounds cheaper than the denon. I would most likely use the dynamic volume most but then I'd have to pay standard price for the denon :o. There are way too many choices hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say go with the Denon. However, to throw a curveball - check out some comparable Onkyo systems. I'm a big fan of the 875/876 and 905/906 models with the realta chip for 1080p upconverting but they get a bit pricier. The lower Onkyo models are comparable to the Denon counterparts for much cheaper. Personal opinion on brands here, and I'll be upfront with my distaste for any Sony A/V products for the last few years.

I'd say go with the Denon. However, to throw a curveball - check out some comparable Onkyo systems. I'm a big fan of the 875/876 and 905/906 models with the realta chip for 1080p upconverting but they get a bit pricier. The lower Onkyo models are comparable to the Denon counterparts for much cheaper. Personal opinion on brands here, and I'll be upfront with my distaste for any Sony A/V products for the last few years.

+1 to at least looking at Onyko.. Denon is def a great brand.. but you def pay extra for the name. I have a mid level Onyko 606 and I love it, I do mainly use it for use with my 360, ps3, and watching movies... not really used much for just music... but the HD audio signals sound just perfect when watching blurays... I have no clue what 360 quid equals in us $ but if you have the $$ for the higher end onyko you should def check them out..

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a Yamaha Rx-v1900 instead. Figured I'd just use up the money to help the economy. Read only good things about it. I've read the onkyo 606 gets really hot and is not on par with denon or yamaha in its class. That and it doesnt look as nice as the other receivers.

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a Yamaha Rx-v1900 instead. Figured I'd just use up the money to help the economy. Read only good things about it. I've read the onkyo 606 gets really hot and is not on par with denon or yamaha in its class. That and it doesnt look as nice as the other receivers.

I've read that the Yamaha is a good receiver so congrats on your new purchase.

I have the Onkyo TX-SR876 and was also a little worried when I bought it about the fact that everyone seemed to say that it ran hot - but it is far from hot...

I've read that the Yamaha is a good receiver so congrats on your new purchase.

I have the Onkyo TX-SR876 and was also a little worried when I bought it about the fact that everyone seemed to say that it ran hot - but it is far from hot...

The 875 had some overheating problems but I believe they were all fixed with the 876, and possibly with the 875 firmware upgrade.