Logitech MX1100

Coming from several MX1000 and then MX Revolution mice I picked up an MX1100 today as I was after a mouse that freed up a plug socket and some deskspace by not needing a desktop cradle anymore. After a bit of testing I have come to the conclusion that it's not as good (feature wise) as the MX Revolution.

- It is bigger so is nicer to hold than the mx rev

- It weighs almost the same as mx rev once batteries are installed.

- It has DPI changing ability, the lowest setting is no different to the mx rev which I found to be not only the most accurate but also the smoothest and easiet to manage with. Anything higher resulted in the cursor flying around everywhere even with the slightest movement (cursor acceleration disabled first)

- The dpi buttons can be remapped if you don't want to use them for dpi BUT even after remapping the mouse internally adjusts dpi so not only will you have your remapped function but the dpi will change as well since this is a onboard setting and not a software setting - this is a big annoyance.

- The back and fwd side buttons are too far away, they could have been a bit closer to the thumb as you have to move the thumb quite a distance in order to reach the FWD button. Especially since the hidden button is all the way at the button of the thumbrest.

- I actually like the mx revolution's side scroll wheel, I have it remapped to the HOME and END keys, makes instantly flicking to the start and end of a webpage/forum thread easy as pie. I never knew how much I'd miss this as the MX1100 does not have these to extra buttons.

- The mouse wheel middle is easier to press compared to the mx rev, it's a softer microswitch now but because of this you sometimes end up side scrolling because likewise the side scroll buttons are softer microswitches now too!

- I thought the higher DPI was supposed to be more accurate for gaming etc. The only thing I could see from 1600dpi mode was that the cursor flew across the screen so shorter mouse movement = greater onscreen travel at a faster rate. If this is what high dpi mice do then I'm perfectly fine gaming and working with a standard dpi mouse such as MX Rev or MX1000. Perhaps the high dpi mice are designed solely for twitch-gamers.

- The ratchet/freewheel mode is now built into the mouse and is fully mechanical and not automatic (software controlled) meaning you cannot remap the wheel mode switch to the wheel button itself and swap the middle mouse button click to this button (this would have solved the above issue)

- It also does not feel as well built as the mx rev, I think this is where the weight saving has come from. The plastic feels lighter and more hollow.

So yeah, it's getting refunded. It's not a mouse I'd recommend if you've been using an MX Revolution or even an MX1000 because it has too many bugs that cannot be fixed in this model.

I also showed my family both mice and asked them to tell me what they thought about both compared. They said that the MX Revolution looked cooler and more of an upgrade over the MX1100 whilst the MX1100 looks more ergonomic which is very much true.

Roll on MX Revolution 2 !

Comparison to MX Revolution:

pc_mx1100_comp_side2.jpg

pc_mx1100_comp_side.jpg

pc_mx1100_comp_front.jpg

pc_mx1100_comp_rear.jpg

IMHO, most cordless laser mice are problematic, because while they seem to be very good at cradling your hand, they're too heavy. It takes effort to push them around, and unless you're on the ideal surface or are using a good mousepad, there will be "sticky" points or areas of resistance.

I find, personally, that a corded laser gaming mouse with weights removed is far better for desktop mousing. The G9 for instance, is perhaps the softest, rubbery-comfy mouse I've ever used. It cradles the hand a bit less than the dedicated desktop mice, but I find that it feels very good under the hand all the same. It also has a much sturdier hyperfast scroll wheel, and feels much more solid under the hand. Has enough buttons as well for programming, but perhaps not as many as say, the MX Rev.

I'm totally off battery-powered desktop mice.

I thought the higher DPI was supposed to be more accurate for gaming etc. The only thing I could see from 1600dpi mode was that the cursor flew across the screen so shorter mouse movement = greater onscreen travel at a faster rate. If this is what high dpi mice do then I'm perfectly fine gaming and working with a standard dpi mouse such as MX Rev or MX1000. Perhaps the high dpi mice are designed solely for twitch-gamers.

You're supposed to get better precision. Most people probably won't notice, but theoretically a higher DPI mouse would give you more "positions" to put your cursor on the screen.

The Logitech wireless mice are an exception to the wireless mouse = bad rule.

They have batteries that last a full week (MX1000 and and MX Revolution) or months on 2xAA (MX1100) and perform just as fast as a wired one except none of the wires getting in the way.

As for the higher dpi, the movement was faster but it was too fast to be accurate with, even gaming articles I read said that snipers for example will lower the dpi to get more accuracy since the cursor is moving slower whilst higher dpi will help twitch movements as you don't need to move the mouse as much to move your onscreen actions further.

So with this in mind higher dpi mice isn't for everyone clearly.

I've got the revolution. The only problem I have with it for some reason it freezes when I have the receiver plugged into the back of my pc. If its plugged into the front no problems though

IMHO, most cordless laser mice are problematic, because while they seem to be very good at cradling your hand, they're too heavy. It takes effort to push them around, and unless you're on the ideal surface or are using a good mousepad, there will be "sticky" points or areas of resistance.

I find, personally, that a corded laser gaming mouse with weights removed is far better for desktop mousing. The G9 for instance, is perhaps the softest, rubbery-comfy mouse I've ever used. It cradles the hand a bit less than the dedicated desktop mice, but I find that it feels very good under the hand all the same. It also has a much sturdier hyperfast scroll wheel, and feels much more solid under the hand. Has enough buttons as well for programming, but perhaps not as many as say, the MX Rev.

I'm totally off battery-powered desktop mice.

I agree... for the most part. It really depends on the batteries and the mouse though. My Microsoft Wireless mouse is able to run on either 1AA or 2AA batteries and I usually use it with one. Feels nice and light.

I bought a MX1100 a few days ago. At first it was a bit disappointed because when I moved the mouse very little it wouldn't even react, on any dpi setting and when the cursor did move it would jump like 5px. I've figured out that's a combination of two things... 1. The laser sensor is located too far in the front of the mouse. 2. Bad default cursor speed setting. I've changed the settings now so it's a lot more accurate when I want to move the cursor only a small distance. Cursor speed set to the slowest setting, acceleration to medium and the mouse speed in the control panel to middle (or middle -1). I'm still thinking about returning it, sometimes I get cursor lag. But if I return it I either have to go back to using my old mouse (old Logitech optical for like $10, good accuracy, crappy buttons) or buy something I don't really want. I used to have a MX1000 a few years ago. It was awesome until the charging stopped working.

I bought a MX1100 a few days ago. At first it was a bit disappointed because when I moved the mouse very little it wouldn't even react, on any dpi setting and when the cursor did move it would jump like 5px. I've figured out that's a combination of two things... 1. The laser sensor is located too far in the front of the mouse. 2. Bad default cursor speed setting. I've changed the settings now so it's a lot more accurate when I want to move the cursor only a small distance. Cursor speed set to the slowest setting, acceleration to medium and the mouse speed in the control panel to middle (or middle -1). I'm still thinking about returning it, sometimes I get cursor lag. But if I return it I either have to go back to using my old mouse (old Logitech optical for like $10, good accuracy, crappy buttons) or buy something I don't really want. I used to have a MX1000 a few years ago. It was awesome until the charging stopped working.

Try some of the better gaming mice out there. The accuracy and tracking potential they have is insane, and they're built for comfort as well - more so the Logitechs than the Razers. Just try a couple in-store if you can. You might be pleasantly surprised. Now if having a corded mouse will be a real issue for you, then there's no point.

Again, the reason I'm saying this is because most of the desktop cordless laser mice feel rather plasticky under the hand and in some cases, even flimsy. My other gripe is the weight of some of them. Again, this is just me. It's hard to find a mouse you really want to stick with.

I got an MX1100 a few weeks back and I love it. My exact dilemma was which to choose, the MX1100 or the MX Revolution so I read review after review of both mice which resulted in me weighing a bit towards the MX1100 since small bug fixes and usability enchantments over the Rev were often brought out in those articles and they just made sense. I then went to a shop that sold both, there I fortunately got to try them both out as well and that's what sealed the deal in favour of the MX1100. It just felt right, the shape, the weight, the materials used, button placement - everything.

At home I spent a good while tuning the speed, DPI, button functionality (which included editing those damn XML files since every option I wanted wasn't provided my Logitech) of the mouse and so on to suite my preferences and I believe I've arrived at nirvana. No input lag or any other problem so far either making the MX1100 the best mouse I've used yet hence I highly recommend it!

I got an MX1100 a few weeks back and I love it. My exact dilemma was which to choose, the MX1100 or the MX Revolution so I read review after review of both mice which resulted in me weighing a bit towards the MX1100 since small bug fixes and usability enchantments over the Rev were often brought out in those articles and they just made sense. I then went to a shop that sold both, there I fortunately got to try them both out as well and that's what sealed the deal in favour of the MX1100. It just felt right, the shape, the weight, the materials used, button placement - everything.

At home I spent a good while tuning the speed, DPI, button functionality (which included editing those damn XML files since every option I wanted wasn't provided my Logitech) of the mouse and so on to suite my preferences and I believe I've arrived at nirvana. No input lag or any other problem so far either making the MX1100 the best mouse I've used yet hence I highly recommend it!

I tried the MX Rev last year. The weight-related complaints aside, I found it to be a bit too big for my hand. Which did you find smaller, the Rev or the MX 1100?

I've got the revolution. The only problem I have with it for some reason it freezes when I have the receiver plugged into the back of my pc. If its plugged into the front no problems though

Same here man, annoying because it uses up a front USB port :crazy:

I tried the MX Rev last year. The weight-related complaints aside, I found it to be a bit too big for my hand. Which did you find smaller, the Rev or the MX 1100?

The MX1100 felt a bit bigger I think because its hump is larger (slightly difficult to explain what I mean). Look at the pictures by mrk to hopefully get an idea as they show it very well. Personally I have big hands so the MX1100 fit me extremely well, though the MX Revolution did too.

I think I managed to lose the lag I had before. Moved the mouse receiver from the back of the computer to the front.

I also have to say I love the scrollwheel on this thing. Scrolling is extremely smooth now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mrk for the review!

I own the Mx 1000, i think its an "ok" mouse, i hate that the middle button is so hard to press plus some of the buttons location are unreasonable to press with one hand (and not to suffer). I really want to try the 1100... maybe i'll wait for a newer version.

(i wish there was a Logitech rumors website :p)

I got the MX1100 at the end of last week to replace my MX900.

The change between those two mice was quite a fair bit.

Better grip on the MX1100.

I dont seem to find theres a problem with the middle button. At first it was a bit of a problem, but I got used to it.

To those that complain of weight and too much effort to move -- a good mousepad (funcsurface) and some func anti-friction liquid will stop that. (like surfer's sexwax for the mouse)

after using a little - one little finger flick to the mx Rev will send it sailing across the mousepad.

I got the MX1100 at the end of last week to replace my MX900.

The change between those two mice was quite a fair bit.

Better grip on the MX1100.

I dont seem to find theres a problem with the middle button. At first it was a bit of a problem, but I got used to it.

From what mrk said and from what i've read online there's isn't suppose to be a problem with the mx1100 middle button.

(i hope not any way, its my next mouse)

From what mrk said and from what i've read online there's isn't suppose to be a problem with the mx1100 middle button.

(i hope not any way, its my next mouse)

its not really a problem, its just the weight of the button was different to the MX900, so took me a bit to get used to it.

its not really a problem, its just the weight of the button was different to the MX900, so took me a bit to get used to it.

for me, with the mx1000, it's a real problem. i hate pressing the middle button so much that i changed some other button to his functions.

I remap my MX1000 middle button to the switcher button and HOME and END to the scroller buttons. No other mouse nowadays gives me this option and flexibility.

• 1 year later...

This might sound like a noob question, but is this mouse good with games? I'm looking to buy this, and just want to check thi little detail. I know it's big and heavy - that's not a problem, as I have giant hands :p . I'm talking more about performance - lag and stuff like that.

And yes, I know I would be better off buying a proper gaming mouse, but almost all gaming mice I can get are corder (which I can't live with, no matter how "unnoticeable" the cord is), and the cordless ones are almost 4 times more expensive then the MX1100..