Should I upgrade to Vista?

I used Vista about 15 or so months back, and wasnt so keen on it first time around, so I went back to XP (which i've used ever since).

Recently, ive been wondering if I should upgrade to Vista.

Recommended?

I recommend it to people if they have at least 1GB of RAM and a somewhat fast processor (at least Athlon X2, a fast Pentium D or a Core 2 Duo). The interface is much improved, it's more robust than ever, and above all else, more secure. Plus, you need it for DirectX 10, and with Far Cry 2 showing better performance and graphics in DX10 mode, it's (finally) starting to gain momentum.

I wouldn't go through the hassle of changing the version of Windows if I had a stable, fast install of XP though, unless I really had hours to spare.

I recommend it to people if they have at least 1GB of RAM and a somewhat fast processor (at least Athlon X2, a fast Pentium D or a Core 2 Duo). The interface is much improved, it's more robust than ever, and above all else, more secure. Plus, you need it for DirectX 10, and with Far Cry 2 showing better performance and graphics in DX10 mode, it's (finally) starting to gain momentum.

I wouldn't go through the hassle of changing the version of Windows if I had a stable, fast install of XP though, unless I really had hours to spare.

Ive got a C2D with a gig of RAM.

But yeah, ive got a good install of XP. Ive got the time, just wondering if i should swap.

Vista will give you a better experience than XP, but you may really consider spending the time and money on doubling or trebling your RAM instead. That will benefit you now on XP, as well as in the near future if you switch to Vista, and in the long term, if at some point you decide to move to Win7.

How's your graphics card?

I wouldn't bother with Vista unless you had 3GB. I'm waiting for Windows 7 myself ;)

You don't need 3 GB to run Vista smoothly. 1 GB will do the job, but 2 GB is the sweet spot. I prefer 4 GB since I use Vista x64 ;), but that's another argument for another day.

at least 1gb or ram??!!! have you honestly tried running vista on 1 gb of ram?

yeah I have vlited my version and made it run on 512 too... but it wasn't usable. the first time you open firefox you max your ram out and that's baout it. I have 2 svchost processos that use up around 100mg each on a good day. and that's with a tweaked version of vista with half the things turned off....

if you have at least 2-3 gb of ram you can make the switch otherwise dont' bother the performance will be WAY below what you can get on xp for the same hardware.

also if you have xp and are happy with it, don't make the switch jsut buy more ram. you will gain the performance you might be looking for if you just buy another gig or two of ram and stick with xp. I would only switch to vista if there is a feature that you really need. otherwise don't bother with it... there are too many annoyances that pop up on a fresh install of vista and most people don't have the time or patience to get past them so they just say vista sucks...

I didn't try Vista on 1GB but according to most sources, it runs ok on it. 1GB is also the recommended minimum hardware. It's like XP on 192MB of RAM, a bit of headroom but not much.

I'd say 1GB of RAM is cutting it close especially if you maintain your Windows XP habits. What I mean by that is, you can have more programs open in Windows XP than in Windows Vista with the same amount of RAM at a usable level. That's because Windows XP is older and puts less stress on your computer. As has been said, 2GB of RAM is the sweet spot for Windows Vista.

As for upgrading to Windows Vista, do it if you have the hardware for it. A modern dual core CPU, a DX9 video card, and 2GB of RAM (1GB minimum). It's more secure than Windows XP, it has better networking features, it has the Aero interface which is quite pretty, and it features DirectX 10.

How fast is your C2D and what is its L2?

I'd just save the money and upgrade hardware instead.. XP is a fine OS. If you're tired of the old MS look and feel, you can go and patch your uxtheme and install third party skins

+ 1

If Windows is your thing, no point spending money on Windows Vista now - wait until Windows7.

Bah... When 7 will come out it will have its issues like every version of Windows had, and people will say "Keep Vista until they release SP1". So that sets you back another year at least.

Vista on the other hand is now a mature product. So it depends where on the software lifecycle you like to stand; early adopters are those who cope will all the unexpected and undocumented issues, but they also benefit first from the new technology; it's a tradeoff.

Bah... When 7 will come out it will have its issues like every version of Windows had, and people will say "Keep Vista until they release SP1". So that sets you back another year at least.

Vista on the other hand is now a mature product. So it depends where on the software lifecycle you like to stand; early adopters are those who cope will all the unexpected and undocumented issues, but they also benefit first from the new technology; it's a tradeoff.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Windows7 will ship as a mature product, after all it is the second main iteration of Windows Vista.

The head honcho at the Windows Team says that he expects Windows7 to run well on a netbook with 1GB of RAM otherwise Windows7 won't be ready to ship.

Vista will give you a better experience than XP, but you may really consider spending the time and money on doubling or trebling your RAM instead. That will benefit you now on XP, as well as in the near future if you switch to Vista, and in the long term, if at some point you decide to move to Win7.

How's your graphics card?

Graphics card is nvidia 8600GT. Yeah I might expand my ram for the future.

I have 2GB Ram in vista, quad-core and a gtx 260 and it runs fine for me vista, except i do run out of memory but only when i render movies in after effects, but bah memory is cheap these days im gonna get 3GB soon as im on 32-bit vista.

But vista is perfectly fine for me on 2GB when browsing web, gaming, everything :)

Hmm at this point honestly i would wait for a windows 7 release date first. I think its too close to windows 7 to upgrade to vista. Just save your money and buy a new pc with windows 7 pre loaded or make your own pc and buy windows 7

@.Blaze: You don't have a Vista license, do you?

Well it came with the PC originally. So theres a sticker on the case with a serial and all that.

I used Vista about 15 or so months back, and wasnt so keen on it first time around, so I went back to XP (which i've used ever since).

Recently, ive been wondering if I should upgrade to Vista.

Recommended?

Well, whats your specs? The amount of garbage being spewed in this thread is unbelievable.

The only annoyance I have with vista is UAC.. and once everything is setup and configured... its less of a problem.

1GB chugs along

2GB more than adequate

3+ if you want to run photoshop, movie editing, etc

I moved over to 64-bit and notice no difference between 32 vs 64... but I only use 4GB... and in the 64-bit world, thats nothing.

Well, whats your specs? The amount of garbage being spewed in this thread is unbelievable.

The only annoyance I have with vista is UAC.. and once everything is setup and configured... its less of a problem.

1GB chugs along

2GB more than adequate

3+ if you want to run photoshop, movie editing, etc

I moved over to 64-bit and notice no difference between 32 vs 64... but I only use 4GB... and in the 64-bit world, thats nothing.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI

CPU: Intel C2D 6420 - 2.13GHz

Video card: Nvidia 8600GT 256MB

RAM: 1GB (soon to be 2GB)

Hard drives: 150gb system hard drive, and 300gb 2nd drive

I'd wait until Windows 7 comes out. (sometime in '09) Don't get me wrong, Vista is a great OS, but Windows 7 is supposebly much better.

He said hes got a key, so all you need now blaze is the CD or get an ISO Downloaded from somewere, as it would be legal as you own a key, then install vista right now. should be fine.