first Screenshot for Windows 7 build 7004 !

Something says to me they are rushing this OS. Although most reports ive heard are good.

I don't see how it's being rushed at all, it's not even beta yet, nobody is supposed to have it yet, perhaps you have rushed to obtain information on it a little bit too early and are saturated with info about it already?

Windows 98 SE - May 1999

Windows 2000 - February 2000

Windows ME - September 2000

Windows XP - October 2001

Releases back then were very short. Windows Vista was just an exception because of its early ambitions. Microsoft has not settled on a release date yet for Windows 7, but even if it was 3 years after the release of Vista, it would be very reasonable. Why would they wait another 5 years to release 7 when much the heavy has already been done.

I fail to see how Windows 7 would place the gadgets anywhere "by default" if you have to drag them manually from the gadget gallery... :p

You right, I was referring to what happens when you upgrade from vista to win7 and already use sidebar.

sigh.... looks terrible just like vista

but nm i guess im just going to have to get on with it

i can no longer use XP as an enthusiast machine any more

:(

How does Vista look "terrible"? :/ :rolleyes:

Funny, when looking at Vista and 7, the default user interface of XP makes me want to vomit.

I think peope feel it's being rushed since vista had such a long development cycle, it's just returning to the way it was before.

Yep, it's all the mind. They fail to realize that Vista was a major upgrade (moreso overhaul). Now, it is just about building on top of that. As someone else pointed out the short time span in which Win98, 2000, ME, and XP were all pushed out, that was purely because each release was simply building on what was there before. The UI changed a little with each release and some new improved features were tacked on each time. This is exactly what they are doing now when they are moving from Vista to 7.

I respect your opinion, but time and time again there is always a group of people who resist change. They do this even though they know it is only a matter of time before they are forced into the change anyway with the risk of falling behind.

I will admit myself that Vista was tough to use when I started two years ago. Once you start using it and swallow the initial pain, I found XP impossible to go back to. The sooner you start using Vista/7, the sooner you can learn to master it just like XP and the better you will feel about the whole situation. Just my two cents.

@ iaTa - so what happened to Beta 1 being a .7000 build. :blink:

Anyway. From that tiny little thumbnail Windows 7 seems to be looking good, but I'm not going to start a sermon on Windows 7 until I install it and use it for a while.

But you can make Vista/Win7 look like XP anyway, if it's the looks you don't like?

the looks are not the main problem its mainly the choice of colours and the whole "blue plastic" thing they trying to pull off

but like i said NM im going to use win7 anyway so ill just have to get used to it

i hope the author of vista style builder updates it for win7 then maybe i can change the colours around

/shrug

plastic ? if anything they'e going for glass, not plastic.

And I believe win7 is able to change the colors without tools, just like Vista, but more so than what you can do in Vista.

the looks are not the main problem its mainly the choice of colours and the whole "blue plastic" thing they trying to pull off

but like i said NM im going to use win7 anyway so ill just have to get used to it

i hope the author of vista style builder updates it for win7 then maybe i can change the colours around

/shrug

I agree and maybe that's why there's a Recycle Bin on the desktop - should recycle your plastics. :laugh:

The transparency effects of 'glass' in Vista and Win7 just don't mimic how glass works really.

so build 7004 its still a prebeta so how is 7000 a beta?

I'm wondering this as well, along with how a later build was complied earlier than build 7000.

But anyway, the screenshot itself doesn't tell a whole except for the Live Mesh folder. I'm interested in hearing about what bugs were fixed from 6956.

Builds up until 7000 are compiled in the pre-beta portion of winmain and are separate from the RC labs (7004+). So build 6995 was compiled on Dec 2nd (in pre-beta winmain) and 7004 was compiled on Dec 3rd (in RC labs), but the beta build 7000 was compiled on Dec 12th (in beta winmain). :blink: This is because the RC labs were started with 7004 (which is basically the beta build 7000, but just a continuation to RC.) Builds 7001, 7002, and 7003 were left in the beta portion of winmain in case of "extra betas" that could be needed. The RC labs will progress along with the beta builds using the same OS but under different build numbers.

As much as i love the blue tone colours they persist on using in every version of windows, i'd love to see a new colour scheme to define windows. especially win7... just a personal opinion.

I'm wondering this as well, along with how a later build was complied earlier than build 7000.

But anyway, the screenshot itself doesn't tell a whole except for the Live Mesh folder. I'm interested in hearing about what bugs were fixed from 6956.

Its possible that its forked from the build process to segregate Beta 1 code check-ins from the post-Beta 1 (or what we can think of as the RC code path. So 7004 could be from the RC code path, but we can expect them to be quickly eclipsed by the Beta 1 code base as the Windows Team reaches that Milestone.

I am also going to quote someone who explained build 5203 which was leaked before BETA 1 (5112) was released Tech Testers back in 2005.

"That is not strictly true. It has everything to do with Beta 1. That build is now old and close the point where we forked prior to the drive to final Beta 1. We have done more work on the Beta 1 build with regards to bug hunting and stability on that build when compared to the fact that 5203 is just a daily build (features come and go, app compat and stability may not be the primary concern for that build etc) and now already past. Remember Beta 2 is months away so that build will bare little relation to Beta 2."

At the rate the development is going, I wouldn't be surprised if the RC came out in only a few months. Especially if the blog writer says this:

1. This feels like a completed OS, it doesn't say beta to me it says almost done

Although I'm curious, will Beta 1 be feature complete or no?