[Baseball] Yanks sign Tiexera

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141

The New York Yankees swooped in Tuesday and hooked prized free agent Mark Teixeira, reaching agreement with the first baseman on an eight-year contract worth $180 million, three sources involved in the negotiations told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The agreement, which is subject to a physical, includes a signing bonus of about $5 million and a complete no-trade provision, The Associated Press reported.

The Yankees had made an offer to Teixeira weeks ago, but then withdrew it; their intention all along was to make an offer, which they did formally on Tuesday, if it fell within parameters acceptable to the organization. The contract will pay Teixeira, who made it clear he wanted to make a decision on where to play next season and beyond by Christmas, an average of $22.5 million per season.

The Yankees had $88.5 million coming off the books (included in that total -- $23.4 million on Jason Giambi, $16 million on Bobby Abreu, and $11 million to both Mike Mussina and Carl Pavano), and even with the Teixeira contract, they expect their payroll to fall below $200 million. New York has committed $423.5 million in salary in the last month, with $161 million going to left-handed pitcher CC Sabathia ($23 million per over seven years) and $82.5 million to right-hander A.J. Burnett ($18.5 million per over five) last week alone.

I got sick and tired of Baseball and all the outrageous salaries of the players.

$180 million ? for what, hitting a ball with a piece of wood...

The New York Yankees, the best team money can buy!

Hey Selig, ever hear of this little thing called a "salary cap"? The funniest thing about New York is all this money won't buy them another World Series. There's a difference between a connection of egos, and a "team". New York will never understand this. What's next, they sign Ramirez? How's that Giambi $100 million contract working out for you? What about Pavano? Idiots...

I got sick and tired of Baseball and all the outrageous salaries of the players.

If it's that easy, why don't you do it then?

lol, the irony radiating from your avatar is priceless. :) Don't whine because the Red Sox got outbid. Yankees may be far ahead of the Red Sox in that regard, but the Red Sox aren't exactly a youth-filled team that doesn't spend money.

lol, the irony radiating from your avatar is priceless. :) Don't whine because the Red Sox got outbid. Yankees may be far ahead of the Red Sox in that regard, but the Red Sox aren't exactly a youth-filled team that doesn't spend money.

They aren't exactly the "Evil Empire" either.

The way I see it, baseball players play a lot more games for longer durations than football/soccer players over here, they earn more, but not in proportion to the time football/soccer players play. Baseball players also seem to do more for their clubs and community - from what I've seen of the majority anyway. However, I'm not saying that any sports personality need to be paid ridiculous amounts of money when other professions get paid a lot, lot less.

But please, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still sort of new to following baseball, and it's tricky over in the UK - especially with the only Free to Air channel that showed games has cancelled all it's US sports programmes. :/

Hate to break it to you, but the Sox only offered around $1 million less a year than the Yankees. So they're closer to the "Evil Empire" than anyone else is.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I am from Tampa, Go Rays! Been going to games since the inaugural season. It is going to be fun to see all of the yankees/sox get beat by a bunch of 20-28 year old's again with a salary sum of less than 70 million(we did sign Longoria to a 40 million deal though or something - I dont follow the money aspect really).

I use to love baseball, not only that I was a huge Yankees fan, but they don't seem to learn from their mistakes :( Until they stop buying old farts who only have a couple of years left in them and get a decent farm system, they're never going to win the World Series again.

That and what they did to Torre is really ****ed me off.

They need salary caps. Plan and simple.

as an Orioles fan, it sucks to be in a division where NY and BOS go on spending sprees. Baseball really needs a salary cap. Teixeira is from Maryland and we couldn't sign him. Oh well, $180 mission is silly.

What should REALLY **** off NY fans is that the yankees are spending all that money on players, and are asking the city for help on the stadium!!!! That's your tax dollars :)

as a yankees fan.. i love it

You love the fact that the Yankees keep making the same mistake and haven't been able to win a World Series since 2000? The answer isn't players who only have a few years left in them, the answer is farm system.

Edited by Hurmoth

You love the fact that the Yankees keep making the same mistake and haven't been able to win a World Series since 2000? The answer isn't players who only have a few years left in them, the answer is farm system.

The Yankees actually have a fairly decent farm system right now (although not in every position). That's why you see the Yankees not only able to sign big-name players, but trade for them, too. Look at some of the players the Yankees traded to get A-Rod and see where they are now. The problem is there are a lot of roadblocks for many of those young players.

Haha. You Red Sox fans crack me up. Who had the highest bid for Dice-K? And how much was that bid? Red Sox are the Evil Empire without the championship legacy.

I'm an O's fan and I can honestly say I'm ecstatic that he didn't sign with the Red Sox. I hope the Yankees knock the Red Sox around so hard this year that your fans start falling off the back of the bandwagon.

Red Sox = Yankees - Some Money - Legacy - Championships + Better Prospects.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the big players they signed this off-season so far are young guys who have 10+ years left in them... so uhh, yeah.

And why is everyone crying about a salary cap? What's that gonna do? The Top 5 teams in terms of salary didn't come close to winning a world series this year. Salary cap or not, it wouldn't have made a difference.