HTC Touch HD

Anyone have bought this phone yet? All the reviews I've read have been positive and people are saying this is the Iphone killer. Thoughts?

I'm thinking of getting this or the BB 9000.

htc-touch-hd-02.jpg

htc-touch-hd-03.jpg

Edited by Outsider

saying this is the Iphone killer. Thoughts?

If its running Windows Mobile, it really isn't. My friend has a HTC Touch Diamond (I think?), the hardware is awesome and the interface at first looks great (abit sluggish in spots, but the iPhone can be like that as well), but if you try and go alittle deeper, your back in 1990's land. Bloody MS letting the team down. :(

I have the touch Diamond which has windows mobile 6.1. I do not think that it is sluggish. Maybe during certain times but in the most part no. Depends what you are using the phone for. A friend of mine likes it better than his phone do to Windows Mobile because he than can sync with outlook. This was my first touch phone and like it but hate having to use the touch screen to answer phone calls. Can be a pain. Lots of bugs. I do not even keep track there are so many. One that is pretty bad is if I go into the Eastern time zone from Central the outlook appointments will adjust ahead by an hour. But then when you go back to Central they will stay one hour ahead. There have been a handful of times that I take it out of the holster and the screen is on and the phone is locked up and will not respond. The thing is hot from burning so much battery juice and the battery is low. I think that happens if the button that turns on the screen is pressed and then the touch sensitive screen is receiving input from rubbing against the holster and then locks up. Because it is so warm my guess is that the CPU is working away and burning juice.

I have the touch Diamond which has windows mobile 6.1. I do not think that it is sluggish. Maybe during certain times but in the most part no. Depends what you are using the phone for. A friend of mine likes it better than his phone do to Windows Mobile because he than can sync with outlook. This was my first touch phone and like it but hate having to use the touch screen to answer phone calls. Can be a pain. Lots of bugs. I do not even keep track there are so many. One that is pretty bad is if I go into the Eastern time zone from Central the outlook appointments will adjust ahead by an hour. But then when you go back to Central they will stay one hour ahead. There have been a handful of times that I take it out of the holster and the screen is on and the phone is locked up and will not respond. The thing is hot from burning so much battery juice and the battery is low. I think that happens if the button that turns on the screen is pressed and then the touch sensitive screen is receiving input from rubbing against the holster and then locks up. Because it is so warm my guess is that the CPU is working away and burning juice.

Are you using the original unlocked version or a modified O2/Vodafone/Tmobile/AT&T version. With the carrier addons, it is similar to buying a computer from an OEM.

I own the Diamond and its a great device. But owning a Windows Mobile device doesnt come easy. You need to know that it acts like a computer, and as a computer, when major things run on the OS, it will overload the cpu and memory. And considering we are talking about an MS software, there needs to be a lot of tweaking to make it just right. If you want to know more on the development about the Touch HD (HTC Blackstone) check this place out

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=451

Are you using the original unlocked version or a modified O2/Vodafone/Tmobile/AT&T version. With the carrier addons, it is similar to buying a computer from an OEM.

I am using the Sprint original unlocked version.

I saw this in the local Orange shop the other day and it's a really nice looking phone. I was seriously considering this phone but the rumours of WinMo 6.5 and WinMo 7 coming out soon are putting me off for now.

Why? Can't you update the OS of the phone to WinMo 6.5 or WinMo 7 when they're out?

Only if HTC decide to offer an upgrade, and then only if your carrier (like OEM computer makers) decides to pass on that updated software. HTC tend to heavily tweak the WinMo OS to run well on the specific device, and correct me if I'm wrong but WinMo isn't available to purchase separately. I had the original HTC Touch and was hoping for an upgrade to WinMo 6.1 when it came out. Unfortunately this wasn't offered by Orange (UK) and every time I tried to get it from HTC directly, they kept telling that because it was a locked Orange phone that I would have to speak to Orange.

Oh and Merry Christmas! :)

I am using the Sprint original unlocked version.

So it is basically the CDMA you are using off of the unlocked version because the way you stated it seems they rebranded it. Like Malik05 said, you will need to know how to work and tweak Windows Mobile to your liking or else you might not like it very much. Visit the XDA-Developers forum and look at the customization and optimization options.

Why? Can't you update the OS of the phone to WinMo 6.5 or WinMo 7 when they're out?

Yes this device will most likely be capable of upgrading to the newer OS... You cannot purchase windows mobile oses, however, the Touch HD has large memory capacity, WiMAX ready, accelerometer (HTC calls it a G-Sensor), and a lot of ROM space. Windows mobile 7 or anything after 6.1, will be supported on the device. But of course, like i stated earlier, you would need to hang out at the XDA-Developers site to see all the development. The only problem i can think of down the line in regards to upgrading the OS is that the Touch HD is the only device on the market that has WVGA (400x800) resolution, which means it would be difficult to upconvert an entire OS if it is only released in VGA and QVGA format. With that in mind, if no one can upconvert, then the only thing you can do is hope that HTC releases and upgrade of the OS.

If its running Windows Mobile, it really isn't. My friend has a HTC Touch Diamond (I think?), the hardware is awesome and the interface at first looks great (abit sluggish in spots, but the iPhone can be like that as well), but if you try and go alittle deeper, your back in 1990's land. Bloody MS letting the team down. :(

You've summed it up perfectly. I've got a Diamond, and it's everything you said. Hardware is good, and the TouchFLO 3D interface is good-looking, but go past that, and you're in Windows 95 land. :( I want to get an iPhone 3G next year. Hopefully they'll have either cut the price a bit or brought out a newer model with a better camera.

So it is basically the CDMA you are using off of the unlocked version because the way you stated it seems they rebranded it. Like Malik05 said, you will need to know how to work and tweak Windows Mobile to your liking or else you might not like it very much. Visit the XDA-Developers forum and look at the customization and optimization options.

Like I said I have the HTC Touch Diamond. It is not the Touch HD. I bought it from Sprint and use it on their network which I think is CDMA but the phone is locked be default as far as I know. If not it would not matter because I am with Sprint for two years now.

There are:

Touch HD

Touch Diamond

Touch Diamond Pro

Like I said I have the HTC Touch Diamond. It is not the Touch HD. I bought it from Sprint and use it on their network which I think is CDMA but the phone is locked be default as far as I know. If not it would not matter because I am with Sprint for two years now.

There are:

Touch HD

Touch Diamond

Touch Diamond Pro

Not Diamond Pro, Touch Pro

There are:

Touch HD

Touch Diamond

Touch Diamond Pro

From my experience, the Sprint Diamond has many issues in the ROM. I hope you could find as close to HTC's original as possible or try a cooked one so you won't need to rate it down. Nothing of HTC's doing, just Sprint.

I have one, and it?s awesome. :))

It?s fast, works great and have really good functions. I love it!

can you give us some details please? i planned to buy one too, but it wont be on the stores here the next few weeks. and yesterday i was visiting a friend showing me the iphone and i was very impressed.

i know htc touch hd has some technical aspects which are better than the iphone, the thing i am asking myself is, if there is a good comparison between iphone and htc touch hd whent it comes to the user-interface and the qualiy of the touch screen.

I have a Touch Pro and I have spent some time using my friends Touch HD, and from my experience they are very good phones that can do alot of stuff. There is also a good collection of software available for them as well as support for .NET in case you want to try developing something for them.

But they are far away from being the iphone killers everyone wants them to be. For starters, most UI within Win Mobile is not finger oriented, with rather small controls. Irrespective of that I have successfully got used to configuring most of the stuff with just my thumb (they are designed for single hand use) and a little bit of "targetting". There are also some software out there to replace the "aging" stuff within the OS, like a software which gives you a "finger" friendly alarm clock (the one that comes with win mo is anything other then finger friendly).

On sluggishness, I have not noted any sluggishness with the HD, except when maybe its refreshing the weather information on the home screen. On my touch pro, I had the same issue, but once I installed a custom firmware and latest radio firmware, the performance improved alot.

What I really like about the HD over my Pro is the larger screen. Opera Mobile, the browser that comes with the phone, looks great and renders sites perfectly and fast. Also zooming in and out is still achieved with one hand. THe larger screen on the also helps with the "browsing experience"...

Imho, the iphone is more polished UI wise and since most software for it is relatively new and is "finger" oriented it is very difficult to beat, but HTC and the other software devs that have produced apps for winmo have achieved alot to close the gap between win mo and the iphone.

Edit: If I were to buy another phone now, and I had to choose between all these "touchy" phones (iphone, that samsung phone, bb, touch pro and touch hd) available at the moment, I would go for a touch hd, because for starters no phone is perfect and I am quite accustomed to using win mo. Also, I do development with .NET and win mo is perfect for that.

Edited by georgevella

• 1 month later...

Okay digging up an old thread here I know.

Picked up the Touch HD the other week free on an o2 contract, have to say it's a great phone. Only thing I'm not liking at the moment is the battery life. I'm a pretty heavy texter and seems I get about a day and half life from the battery. Not ideal and will mess about with some settings to change brightness etc to see if they help. Also just managed to get the upgraded Co Pilot 7 for it :D

Any one elses views on the phone?

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about getting a touch HD as well. Anyone have one that's unlocked? Not just SIM unlocked since I'm in europe and all the phones are sim unlocked, but I mean carrier unlocked so that I can connect to any network other than what my SIM card is?

Okay digging up an old thread here I know.

Picked up the Touch HD the other week free on an o2 contract, have to say it's a great phone. Only thing I'm not liking at the moment is the battery life. I'm a pretty heavy texter and seems I get about a day and half life from the battery. Not ideal and will mess about with some settings to change brightness etc to see if they help. Also just managed to get the upgraded Co Pilot 7 for it :D

Any one elses views on the phone?

old post i know

but flash the rom just about all the new roms out there have LOADS of battery tweaks

old post i know

but flash the rom just about all the new roms out there have LOADS of battery tweaks

Yeah I'm currently running Black Pearl 2.5 although it has an SMS text size bug, it seems to be nice and stable and good on bettery life. Looking at flashing Dutty 3.3 tonight to see how that is though regarding battery life.