Official Macworld thread

As much as I would love to stay up and learn about the new Mac products, I'll just go to bed and get some much needed sleep :sleep: .

Scirwode

I think it's sad that the whole event is being overshadowed by Steve Job's illness and Windows 7. It's unlikely MacWorld will give us anything nearly as big as Windows 7.

Except for Snow Leopard and Mac refreshes.

I think it's sad that the whole event is being overshadowed by Steve Job's illness and Windows 7. It's unlikely MacWorld will give us anything nearly as big as Windows 7.

Are you kidding? Steve's illness has been cleared up pretty succinctly, and Windows 7 isn't on the radar for Mac enthusiasts at all. The technology press at large goes ape whenever new Apple stuff comes out, so I'm sure that the Apple headlines won't fail to get decent 'front page' time. Windows 7 has been announced and beta's have been leaked - at this point there isn't any "scoop" to be had unless some amazing new features get announced.

Are you kidding? Steve's illness has been cleared up pretty succinctly, and Windows 7 isn't on the radar for Mac enthusiasts at all. The technology press at large goes ape whenever new Apple stuff comes out, so I'm sure that the Apple headlines won't fail to get decent 'front page' time. Windows 7 has been announced and beta's have been leaked - at this point there isn't any "scoop" to be had unless some amazing new features get announced.

Quite right.

Windows 7 and Snow Leopard are both done, barring any last-minute surprise features.

So what's left to talk about? Everything else . . . new hardware, new services, etc.

You must be joking right? Or you're just a big fan of Windows? Come on, Windows 7 is not a revolution, even if it's the OS that could safe face for Microsoft (with the relative flop of Vista), yes it's better, yes it's slimmer, but it's still Windows. And other than the fact that Mac hardware is fantastic, most Mac users are in it because of OS X. And we will get Snow Leopard, what will "probably" run circle around Win7. In many ways, Apple is always one step ahead of Microsoft.

You must be joking right? Or you're just a big fan of Windows? Come on, Windows 7 is not a revolution, even if it's the OS that could safe face for Microsoft (with the relative flop of Vista), yes it's better, yes it's slimmer, but it's still Windows. And other than the fact that Mac hardware is fantastic, most Mac users are in it because of OS X. And we will get Snow Leopard, what will "probably" run circle around Win7. In many ways, Apple is always one step ahead of Microsoft.

Please. Snow Leopard is to Leopard what Windows 7 is to Vista. Mac hardware is the same as PC hardware but i agree the whole point of a Mac is OS X. As for Snow Leopard running rings around 7 spoken like a typical Mac troll, played any good OS X games lately?

I hope to see a new mini... and if there is, i hope it isnt too overpriced. If so, I will buy one. I need a small PC to replace my thinkpad since its getting annoying unplugging everything when i need it for work.. (Of course, I will install Vista or Windows 7 on it)

Forgot to add, I hope you all have a nice discussion during the keynote presentation, which I will hopefully read by the time I wake. For now, I need to catch up on my sleep :p ! Good night and hope you all have a good time.

Scirwode

My hopes :

- Announcement of iphone software update : copy-paste, improved interface (like to be able to switch wifi and 3g on/off by clicking on the top bar and not having to go through 3 screens), improved call reception and fix of any call drops (I still have some minor problems sometimes),themes support,greek keyboard,swap memory (if it doesn't use already) so that safari won't crash under heavy usage and of course improved safari like the Mac version of it.

- iMac with core i7, motherboard with integrated Nvidia graphics and a dedicated 9800GTX, LED screen,aggressive pricing (which means keep it in the pricing of the current models maybe around 50-100$ down due to the economy)

Of course I can't see any of the above happening, iMac will probably go quad core, NVIDIA base chipset and a dedicated 9600. Then again the top-end 24' model may have something like 9800GTX. If they go i7 and DDR3 ram I guess the price will go up so let's stick to quad core for a bit more.

SlingMedia, Inc. is demonstrating a version of SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone being developed for the iTunes App Store at this year's Macworld. Sling Media will deliver a version of SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone to Apple for certification in Q1.

SlingMedia is also unveiling a prototype of the new SlingPlayer for Mac HD which allows Slingbox PRO-HD users to stream HD content to their Macdesktop or laptop computer. The new SlingPlayer for Mac HD is a web-based version of the SlingPlayer software that will be accessible from Sling.com, Sling Media's recently launched video entertainment web site. SlingMedia can be found in two locations at this year's Macworld: TheMac Developer Pavilion- South Hall, #1438 (next to Apple) and the Digital Media and Multimedia Pavilion: North Hall #3526-Q.

all i really want to see today is a new demo of snow leopard

That would be nice but I want to see some radical new interface (which I know isn't going to happen). The Finder and Dock are getting tired now.

Well, I am not going to get excited or over hype the event, but if a new MacBook Nano is announced then I will be excited. My MBP is on the brink with the SuperDrive refusing to burn any form of media and it makes a god aweful grinding noise when ever I put a cd in, so I may just fall down the stairs with it and replace it with a MBN on the home insurance!