[Review] iPod Touch 2nd Gen

unfortunately Apple in their infinite wisdom have decided to remove the album shuffle function..........

..........I know some would say thats being picky, but I have a lot of albums that are meant to be played in order, Tangerine Dream albums for example, and to have it spoilt by this feature removal is not acceptable for me :(

Umm, you've got that a bit mixed up, haven't you? You complain about not being able to shuffle albums, then you say that you have albums that are meant to be played in order, i.e. not shuffled.

If you wanted to play an entire album in shuffle, you could still do it, but in a different way. The last and only iPod so far I owned was the Mini 2G. It had an on-the-go playlist feature. I'm guessing that that's still in the current-gen iPods, so if it is, you could just add the album to the on-the-go playlist, then shuffle it, right? Simple!

what I meant is you only get the option of playing a single album shuffled, you cannot shuffle all albums within a playlist like you could with the old ipods, by sguffle albums I mean exactly that, and not shuffle the tracks with that album.

You only get the option to shuffle all tracks across the whole playlist, or play one individual album and shuffle the tracks within that. The apple forums are full of people asking the same thing, even when I returned it and explained they were surprised the feature had been removed and as mentioned I was even told to jailbreak in order to make it work the way I wanted.

I don't get it, though: if you're shuffling albums, won't it be at least 8-10 songs before you have to choose the next album; in terms of manually shuffling? I don't doubt that having that automated would be nice, but it's definitely not must-have for most users...

Apple is known for removing features and then bringing them back later "due to popular request." So, if a lot of people complain about the changed shuffling, I'm sure it will make a comeback.

I have a first generation touch and I like it. I can only imagine that the second generation model is considerably better.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a first generation iPod touch, and then got a second gen iPod touch about 24 hours after their release (bless TNT's fast shipping), and it's been the best device I've owned.

• 3 weeks later...

I never like the idea of an MP3 player, or any device that can play music which has a speaker in it. It has happened once or twice, and to my embarassment I haven't had the headphones plugged in, and my music has started playing publicly.

I think I'll stick to my 1st generation purely for the reason; it has no speakers! :laugh:

Nice review.

I bought one few month ago and I must say I think I would probably sell it soon. I like big screen, sound quality is great, but I found that this player is just not really what I need. It's pretty big for taking it everywhere and I've realized that I am not using any of the features besides from listening a music.

So I've decided to sell one and get an latest Nano. I've been visiting few stores around me and played with a Nano and I must say I really love it.

Oh and anyway I would win selling it, haha because I've bought it in UK and selling it fore the bigger price here in Ukraine :p

Still thinking....

I've got a question about the iPod touch concerning water damage.

Would it be possible to get it working again after it's been out in the rain for a while? One of my friends stupidly had his out in the rain along with his phone and now both of them stopped working. He tried leaving the iPod overnight, but it still didn't work, so instead of calling up Apple and attempting to get it replaced, he went out and just bought an iPod Nano to replace it. I asked him if I could have it, and he said yes. This was about a fortnight ago now. Do you reckon it would be possible to get it working again without calling up Apple to get it replaced?

Or if getting it replaced is the only option, how much would it cost?

Nice review.

I'm selling a sealed 16GB one btw if anyone's interested :)

-Rich-

A bit stupid asking, since I won't be able to afford it, but how much? :D

No thanks, I'm pretty much broke. I've only got about ?10 on me.:(( When I'm able to walk properly again, I'll finally be earning some money again, even if it's only ?10 a week.

The screen is not unscratchable. I bought a 2nd gen Touch in November and I already have a lot of scratches on the screen. Maybe because I keep it in the same pocket as my cell phone.

I've included a picture. These are scratches, not spots!

post-68710-1236011848.jpg

I've got a question about the iPod touch concerning water damage.

Would it be possible to get it working again after it's been out in the rain for a while? One of my friends stupidly had his out in the rain along with his phone and now both of them stopped working. He tried leaving the iPod overnight, but it still didn't work, so instead of calling up Apple and attempting to get it replaced, he went out and just bought an iPod Nano to replace it. I asked him if I could have it, and he said yes. This was about a fortnight ago now. Do you reckon it would be possible to get it working again without calling up Apple to get it replaced?

Or if getting it replaced is the only option, how much would it cost?

Sorry, I wanted to bump this. I'm very likely to be back in college next week, so I'd love to see if this is possible, as I'll likely be getting the iTouch by then.

What I don't link about it the way the app store is run, the can turn away any apps they think is bad for their business, like Opera Mini was turned away because it could damage Safari's market share. You think Microsoft is trying to builds and protect a monoply, at least Windows Mobile lets you install apps from Microsoft's rivals.

What I don't link about it the way the app store is run, the can turn away any apps they think is bad for their business, like Opera Mini was turned away because it could damage Safari's market share. You think Microsoft is trying to builds and protect a monoply, at least Windows Mobile lets you install apps from Microsoft's rivals.

I thought Apple were beginning to accept web browsers on the App Store now? Hmm, must have been just a rumour I stumbled upon.

I thought Apple were beginning to accept web browsers on the App Store now? Hmm, must have been just a rumour I stumbled upon.

I hope your right, Fennec development is going well.

Found it: Click here.

It's sort of half-true. They are allowing web browsers onto the App Store, but only ones based off Webkit. Firefox and Opera have both been denied, because under the SDK, apps are forbidden that call on non-Apple frameworks and languages.

Found it: Click here.

It's sort of half-true. They are allowing web browsers onto the App Store, but only ones based off Webkit. Firefox and Opera have both been denied, because under the SDK, apps are forbidden that call on non-Apple frameworks and languages.

That is just utter crap, Apple letting their allies in but not everyone. Apple is big enough in order to ignore Opera, but Mozilla's market share is to big for Apple to ignore them. When Firefox is on Symbian, Windows Mobile, etc I think we'll see Apple cave in.