Firefox Windows 7 support

Anyone know if there is support planned for Windows 7 features like tabs in taskbar like IE8?

Are there any pre-beta builds with such capabilities?

IE8 sucks and that's why im sure most people removed it from windows 7.

It's extremely easy to get glass in firefox with the glasser extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7336

With just glasser + stylish you can make fx look as good as ie7:

post-159052-1243087771_thumb.png

I know that I'm talking natively.

The sooner it's implemented into the Firefox the quicker I free up extensions that use up memory.

Probably take them ages to implement anything.

How long has Vista been out and still no glass support?

Not bashing, just saying, I know bug fixes come first...

It requires them to re-write how they draw web pages (3.5+ support Glass windows, but you can't use web content inside those windows because it breaks)

I personally don't see the need for it in the main window, the current UI is fine IMO and fits in pretty good.

It requires them to re-write how they draw web pages (3.5+ support Glass windows, but you can't use web content inside those windows because it breaks)

I personally don't see the need for it in the main window, the current UI is fine IMO and fits in pretty good.

You can get glass just like ie7/chrome in 3.0/3.5 right now with one extension (glasser)....I dont see how they need a major rewrite to get it working.

In case you want to show proper transparency with web pages. Extension might want to show a window on glass with HTML content, they can't mix it at the moment (XUL renders on Glass fine, HTML content doesn't)

I don't see a need for everything to be glass ... I don't see a need for the current UI to be changed. Using 3.5b4 and it looks fine.

Somehow I don't see Mozilla adapting Microsoft API's for the taskbar tabs, simply for the fact that Firefox is intended to be a Universal browser; available on muliple platforms. Linux and Mac OS X wouldn't be able to use such tab API's, and no sense in implamenting them for the sake of only one platform.

Somehow I don't see Mozilla adapting Microsoft API's for the taskbar tabs, simply for the fact that Firefox is intended to be a Universal browser; available on muliple platforms. Linux and Mac OS X wouldn't be able to use such tab API's, and no sense in implamenting them for the sake of only one platform.

there's plenty of things they do only on certain platforms, I don't see why they couldn't do that for Win7

When you enable Glass in a window with HTML content, you gets bugs like this and this.

And Mozilla have no problem implementing platform specific features when it provides better integration into the base OS (on Windows, it does it's own alerts, on OS X it does them through growl, on Linux it does them through libnotify). And there's already a "progress in taskbar" patch that is nearly finished.

No offense but thats such an ignorant post, why not take available of an api on one platform to make the browser better? AFAIK firefox will be integrating with things on OSX that windows doesn't have either in the future.

Taking advantage of the api probably wouldn't be too difficult and wouldn't make firefox any les of a "Universal Browser" Your post makes NO sense at all.

No offense but thats such an ignorant post, why not take available of an api on one platform to make the browser better? AFAIK firefox will be integrating with things on OSX that windows doesn't have either in the future.

Taking advantage of the api probably wouldn't be too difficult and wouldn't make firefox any les of a "Universal Browser" Your post makes NO sense at all.

All I'm saying is I would imagine it to be inefficent cost wise an resource wise (number of developers and programming power) to cater to each and every platform's specifics for a single program, not to mention a possible invitation to bugs or such a huge base code that it becomes bloatware.

All I'm saying is I would imagine it to be inefficent cost wise an resource wise (number of developers and programming power) to cater to each and every platform's specifics for a single program, not to mention a possible invitation to bugs or such a huge base code that it becomes bloatware.

It's not exactly a massive or very difficult feature to implement you are making it WAY bigger than it really is and blowing things completely out of proportion, and would hardly make it "bloatware"

talk about making a mountain out of molehill.

It's not exactly a massive or very difficult feature to implement you are making it WAY bigger than it really is and blowing things completely out of proportion, and would hardly make it "bloatware"

talk about making a mountain out of molehill.

A molehill becomes a mountain when you keep adding things; some Windows 7 Aereo, a taskbar tab API here, an OS X Cocoa with a side of Aqua there, a little Linux Jetpack a dash of Microformat APIs, etc.

(Let's not even get into layers for Extentions, Java, MAPI, CCS, SSL, etc. ;Standard for Popular Web Browsers)

It's apparent that Firefox isn't as efficent as IT COULD BE

Under the umbrella of Mozilla, Gecko is actually a much bigger project in technical terms than Firefox is. For example, there is much more Gecko code than there is code specific to Firefox, which is an application we built on top of Gecko.

Source: http://boomswaggerboom.wordpress.com/2008/...under-the-hood/

I believe this is why Chrome is beating Firefox in terems of raw performance speed, because it doesn't implament all this crap.

chrome is not noticeably faster than fx at all on my system, and thats not why its faster. It's because chrome is built on a faster rendering engine (webkit) and their js engine (v8) is faster as well but not by a whole lot. Firefox 3.5 beta has many speed improvements and isn't much slower than chrome at all.

And chrome is pretty much featureless compared to fx imo, it's lacking a lot of basic features like smooth scrolling and proper bookmark management an extensions arent even fully implemented yet.

Your posts seem to imply that making firefox better on each platform makes it "slow" which is not true.

Also firefox is already completely cross platform on both OSX and linux while chrome is still in VERY early stages being ported to those.

Your arguments make little to no sense.

A molehill becomes a mountain when you keep adding things; some Windows 7 Aereo, a taskbar tab API here, an OS X Cocoa with a side of Aqua there, a little Linux Jetpack a dash of Microformat APIs, etc.

(Let's not even get into layers for Extentions, Java, MAPI, CCS, SSL, etc. ;Standard for Popular Web Browsers)

It's apparent that Firefox isn't as efficent as IT COULD BE

you speak like firefox on every operating system is installed from 1 installer...

• 6 months later...

There may be more firefox users on linux per capita, but overall I think Windows has most firefox users. Call it self interest but I think that they should start by implementing things that affect the majority of users instead of taking Adobe's route and implementing something that people have been demanding on a platform that only affects a few people (cref: Adobe Flash 11 x64 linux)