Wireless Bridge and DMZ

I have two routers, one hooked up to the modem, and one that is bridged wirelessly to my computer.

I have to forward ports and do QoS settings and stuff alot, and its a pain to have to do alot of it on both routers(if i forget then i can't figure out whats wrong etc). IF i were to place myself in the DMZ from the second router(bridged) would it just be as if i were connected directly to the main router, or would i be completly out there(ie, no routers inbetween me and the internet)?

Um I think you misundertand the terms.. If your 2nd wireless router was acting as a bridge you would have no need of doing anything on the 2nd router.

All traffic would be sent from your first router across the wireless if it was a bridging.. Sounds like you have it in NAT mode, which is why you would have to forward ports on it, etc.

Use it as an ACCESS POINT vs a router then you would not have to do anything on the wireless router. You would only need to forward ports on the 1st router.

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/wireless-...cess-point.html

How to Use a Wireless Router as a Wireless Access Point

Well i went through that guide and it all seems fine except for the "Wireless Mode". I'm using dd-wrt on the 2nd router and here's what it has listed in teh help menu.

" AP mode – This is the default mode, also called Infrastructure mode. Your router acts as an central connection point, which wireless clients can connect to.

Client mode – The radio interface is used to connect the internet-facing side of the router (i.e., the WAN) as a client to a remote accesspoint. NAT or routing are performed between WAN and LAN, like in "normal" gateway or router mode. Use this mode, e.g., if your internet connection is provided by a remote accesspoint, and you want to connect a subnet of your own to it.

Client Bridged mode – The radio interface is used to connect the LAN side of the router to a remote accesspoint. The LAN and the remote AP will be in the same subnet (This is called a "bridge" between two network segments). The WAN side of the router is unused and can be disabled. Use this mode, e.g., to make the router act as a "WLAN adapter" for a device connected to one of its LAN ethernet ports.

Ad-Hoc mode – This is for peer to peer wireless connections. Clients running in Ad-Hoc mode can connect to each other as required without involving central access points."

I have mine set to client bridge mode, and based on what i'm reading, it should be exactly what i want...

I want the router to act exactly like a wlan adaptor, wiring from the lan port on the router to my PC.

If you want to use it like a wlan adapter for some PC to connect wireless to your first router? Then yes that is what you would use.. But not if your going to have clients connecting to it wireless

So your using it as just a wireless adapter?? Why not just get a wireless adapter??

If you put your machines IP in the DMZ of the first router -- then it would be like your directly connected to the public NET.. All traffic would be sent to your IP wether you requested it or not.. Over wireless that would for starters cut into your speed..

I can see NO to this at all.

Edited by BudMan

I want it to act as a wlan adaptor, and if possible, a wireless range extender(i was under the impression that its not possible to have both).

my reasons for using it instead of a usb or pci adaptor, less hassle. i switch OS's alot and now i don't have to mess with finicky wireless adaptor drivers and they have a tendency to fail on me, with no explanation whatsoever.

I don't want my machine to be completly out there, i want the second router to be transparent.

Well in client bridge mode it should act exactly like that.. Its computers IP address would be on first routers network.. You would then need to foward any traffic you want to get to your machine using the dd-wrt router as a wlan adapter to the machines IP address. Just make sure that the dd-wrt routers lan IP does not conflict with any ips on your first router network.. If your router is say 192.168.1.1 make your dd-wrt router 192.168.1.2 and then make your dhcp scope on the first router 192.168.1.100-150 for example.

You should be able to boot any device you want and just see a ethernet connection. And yes it should give you a bit better range then just some usb wireless adapter, etc.

I use a fon device running dd-wrt for this purpose all the time.. Its small enough to carry around, and can either act as wlan adapter for some device that does not have wireless, or I can use it as an accesspoint to create a wireless network/hotspot, etc..