amplifier recomendations please?

Hi,

My Cambridge Azur 540r has died on me. I want to get a stereo amp instead of an AV receiver as the sound is generally superior when listening in stereo, which I do most of the time. However, I want to be able to connect it to my PC so I can play music from there also. I connected my PC to the 540r via S/PDIF to the AV Receivers Coax input but stereo amplifiers very rarely have Coax inputs, if at all. It's seems like it's a toss up between getting an AV reciever (which is lower quality than a stereo amp) with a higher quality S/PDIF connection. Or a stereo amp (higher quality than an AV reciever) and connecting it with a lower quality 3.5 to rca cable.

Am I right in thinking this? Does anyone have any suggestions as how to get the best quality audio?

An AV receiver isn't necessarily going to be of "lower quality" all the time, or at all.

It's going to vary model to model, pricepoint to pricepoint.

How much are you willing to spend? What models are you looking at? What kind of speakers are you going to be driving?

Read this before you start worrying about what kind of interconnects and "higher quality" amp you'll be using and all of that jazz.

I didn't really want to spend a lot, ?150-?200 max. I'm looking at something like the NAD 325 for a stereo amp. If I go with an AV receiver then I will probably go for an updated version of the 540r that has recently died on me. The speakers I'm driving are Wharfedale 9.1's. thanks for your repl:):)

The other option is to buy a stereo amp and a DAC to do the digital conversion from your computer.

DACs are expensive though.

The NAD C325 would make a fantastic amp for listening in stereo.