ok so here are the canditates:

42" LG 720p @ ?550

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_...gory_oid=-34810

40" Samsung 720p @ ?550

37" Samsung 720p @ ?530

please please help me decide ive been dwelling on what to buy since x-mas

if you have any other recommendations i will deeply appreciate them!

also, is it that big of a difference between 720 & 1080p?? i mean its a huUUuuge price difference and im wondering if i will ever miss not having the 1080:/ :/ (not that ive ever seen a 1080p movie)

thanks!!

To be honest, when it comes to Samsung vs. LG, you're better off with neither. Go for a Sony LCD, if there's one in your price range. If there isn't, then go for Samsung.

And yes, there is a big difference between 720p and 1080p. Most HD medias are now in 1080i/p resolution. 1080p is Full HD, anything else is classed as "HD Ready", which IMO is misleading to consumers who don't read up about it. They think they're getting a proper HDTV for a bargain price, but they're not.

also, is it that big of a difference between 720 & 1080p?? i mean its a huUUuuge price difference and im wondering if i will ever miss not having the 1080.. :/ (not that ive ever seen a 1080p movie)

At those sizes, you may want to consider investing the extra money on a 1080p.

To be honest, when it comes to Samsung vs. LG, you're better off with neither. Go for a Sony LCD, if there's one in your price range. If there isn't, then go for Samsung.

And yes, there is a big difference between 720p and 1080p. Most HD medias are now in 1080i/p resolution. 1080p is Full HD, anything else is classed as "HD Ready", which IMO is misleading to consumers who don't read up about it. They think they're getting a proper HDTV for a bargain price, but they're not.

Why aren't they? Because you say so? 720p is HD. That's a fact, and that's all there is to it. I don't know where you even got the whole "HD ready" idea meaning 720p.

Please learn more about it instead of spreading around total ****.

That's not totally necessary. Each person has different needs. 720p will be much better than standard cable and dvd's. And at his viewing distances he will notice very little difference, if any at all. If money is a main factor, there is no reason to spend more.

Everyone here bases quality off of specs. and that's not even close to being true.

That's not totally necessary. Each person has different needs. 720p will be much better than standard cable and dvd's. And at his viewing distances he will notice very little difference, if any at all. If money is a main factor, there is no reason to spend more.

Everyone here bases quality off of specs. and that's not even close to being true.

720p is good, no doubt about it. I never said the difference was huge, it was MightyJordan who said that. So get mad at him, not me. But there is a noticeable difference if the OP plans to buy a 40". But yeah, if money it a concern, then 720p may be the way to go.

I don't know why MightyJordan is saying 720p TVs aren't HD. I find that odd. However, he may be mistaken with the term "HD Ready." Those ARE HDTVs, but they lack an ATSC tuner. And Samsung and LGs are BOTH good brands. Sony is not the only reputable TV brand out there.

Edited by xraffle

Well I got a Samsung LN32A550 for my bedroom, it's 1080P and I absolutely love it. I have my Desktop Pc hooked up to it and it works great as a TV and a Desktop Monitor.

You can see a difference between this one and the LG 32LG30 720p which I have in the other room.

Some people might argue that you wont see the difference, but if you play the same HD Movie on the both screens you can for sure see the difference, well at least I and my friends can....

I love Samsung, and no matter what other people tell you, Samsung makes great TVs with excelent contrast and crisp colors.

Cheers and good luck picking the right TV, I know it took me a while, but I am happy. :)

But there is a noticeable difference if the OP plans to buy a 40".

Ok, I'll say it again...

1080p over 720p will only matter under certain viewing distances. If he is about 10 feet away from the television, or further, then there will be little to no difference that he will notice. Believe me.

This is a completely different situation than Euphoria is in while using it as a pc monitor. using it as a monitor you are much closer and a higher resolution means more workspace. That is totally irrelevant in this case. Especially since he is assuming the Samsung is better due to being 1080p instead of 720p. It could have nothing to do with that.

Ok, I'll say it again...

1080p over 720p will only matter under certain viewing distances. If he is about 10 feet away from the television, or further, then there will be little to no difference that he will notice. Believe me.

Yes you are right, after a certain distance, what will matter will be the quality of the picture, meaning: contrast, hue, color balance, sharpness, etc.... For which I still prefer Samsung.

Just go to your local electronics store and see it for yourself, it's the best way to see actually what real life picture each TV produces.

Ok, I'll say it again...

I believe you. But many 1080p owners may disagree with you though. ;)

I think it depends also of what kind of use u are going to give to the TV... For instance, i have a 720p and i don't need better, because i mainly use it to watch cable HD channels, and at least in Portugal they're not 1080p (some are not even full 720p...).

If u have a Blu-Ray drive, yeah... in that case u'll use the 1080p

Yes indeed and I would get a Sony. I have been using Sony since the early 80's without a problem.

If your going to shop at Dixons, when you get to the checkout enter these codes

DELTV = free delivery

SALE25 = further discount

This brings the price to around:

LG 42LG3000 42" ?458

Samsung LE40A456C 40" ?468

If your going to shop at Dixons, when you get to the checkout enter these codes

DELTV = free delivery

SALE25 = further discount

This brings the price to around:

LG 42LG3000 42" ?458

Samsung LE40A456C 40" ?468

i had seen that on the price comparison website and i will probably go for it, thanks for mentioning it thoug:):)

so now i guess it begs the question, which one of the two?

samsung or lg..i will be using the tv to conect to my laptop as well as having a hdd connected onto it. and cable..so far blue ray is not in my shopping list..at least not for another yr or so..

any suggestions? i guess i could go for the extra 2" anyone know quality differences?

thanks for all your replies so far guys, i really appreceate them!:):)

i was reading on the samsung specs, and for some reason, (human error?) the specs dont mention anything about pc connection..? how would i get my Aspire One connected on it?

also could you offer your opinion on this tv also:

LG 42PG3000 100Hz 42" HD Ready digital Plasma TV - ?480

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_...gory_oid=-28723

it has 20000:1 ratio vs the samsung with 10000:1

i dont know how important this is.. also lower pc resolution 1024:// vs the 13xx of the samsung

are plasmas better than lcds?

edit: there is also this 42" Samsung Plasma

Samsung PS42A456P (PS42A457P1DXXU) 42" HD Ready Digital Plasma TV - ?486

the plasmas are only a fraction of a price difference against the LCDs but i have no idea if they are better or worst..

im so confuse:(:(

Edited by thE_qubE

Some people like plasma better. I personally prefer LCD's, especially if being used as a monitor also. Samsung tv's, when connected through vga, will use their full native resolution.

As for the contrast ratios... You can't really go by those across different brands. There is no standard as to how they calculate contrast ratios. If they were both LG or both Samsung with different ratios then it would mean more.

well the samsung plasma is 42" with 20000:1 but 1024 res and the 40" samsung LCD has 10000:1 with 1344 res.

i literally have no idea which one to get, im considering the 40" LCD samsung 720p but yeah, how will i hook up my pc to it? HDMI->VGA??

ok iwent on the samsung site and there is a PC D-Sub which i suppose is either a VGA or a DVI connection..so im guessing its the 40" Samsung then :D

Last edit: i looked on the dixons site again and now i got these two:

Samsung LE40A456C (LE40A457C1DXXU) 40" HD Ready 720p Digital LCD TV @ ?480.00

and

SAMSUNG LE40A556P (Series 5) 40" HD Ready 1080p digital LCD TV @ ?560.00

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_...p;category_oid=

Edited by thE_qubE