[IE] Preventing SPYWARE from Installing

Question

BxBoy

How would you prevent these types of pop-up Installs? I'm afraid one day I might accidentally click on yes and have it install spyware that is hard to remove later on.

post-32-1050209406.jpg

10 answers to this question

Fotix

Easiest: Turn off ActiveX.

Don't know if doing that will stop Windows Update from working, etc., though. :ninja:

Sn00pY

*OR*

just be careful and press "NO" its not hard...................

mAcOdIn

well you'd want to uncheck both "Enable install on demand"(IE) and (Other) in internet options/advanced. Additionally, uncheck "Enable third party browser extensions" there as well, then I'd scroll down to where it talks about security check them all.

Then in the Internet Options/security I'd set it to high, and make windowsupdate.com a trusted site.

But seriousely if your gonna go and seriously hinder the only thing that gives internet explorer an edge over the other browsers(activeX) you might consider moving to another browser.

sinatosk

am wondering..... but why don't people just use advert filters n stuff huh???

hurting101

If you want to shrink or remove the "Yes" button, you can find the dialog in cryptui.dll, dialog 4101.

CherTon

well since i had bonzi invade my computer i've had zero ads spyware program install so don't pay much attention to the others.

MxxCon

ms should really add another checkbox like "always trust..." to say "never trust..." so once you check it you'll never have to deal with it again

BxBoy
ms should really add another checkbox like "always trust..." to say "never trust..." so once you check it you'll never have to deal with it again

yeah, that's a good idea. or maybe an additional confirmation dialog when you click on 'YES' by accident

Edited by BxBoy
Guest Quick Reply

OMG.... THIS IS SO EASY

Tools> Internet Options> Security> Custom Level...> Set the first Circle to disable