Amir Khan vs Marco Antonio Barrera

Amir Khan will meet seven-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera on 14 March at an unspecified British venue.

The 34-year-old Mexican is a former champion at three weights and has won 64 of his 71 fights.

"I was a fan and I am a fan - but when you're in the ring, you have no respect for any of your opponents, you go in and do a job," Khan told BBC Sport.

"I think I've got everything to beat him. With my youth and speed, I think I'll just outbox him."

Squaring up to Barrera is undoubtedly the biggest test that Khan, 22, has faced so far in his career.

"I think he's made for me," added Khan.

"He's shorter than me, and has moved up quickly to lightweight."

Last time out in December, Khan beat Irishman Oisin Fagan in his first bout since suffering the first loss of his career against Breidis Prescott last September.

The Olympic lightweight silver medallist split from trainer Jorge Rubio after that defeat and is now guided by Freddie Roach.

Barrera, who inflicted Prince Naseem Hamed's first career defeat back in 2001, won his first world title in 1995, and has faced the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez and Erik Morales.

Khan said he would seek Hamed's advice and learn from the former world champion's mistakes.

"I'm sure Naseem knows what mistakes he made and will tell me the mistakes that he doesn't want me to make," he said.

"Nas is a great guy so I'll have a chat with him and see what he thinks."

Warren said he had initially been looking to match Barrera with another of his fighters, and admitted it was a bit of a gamble.

"A lot of people might look at this and think 'he's in the deep end here' - maybe, but I believe with good punchers in the ring it's all about timing, and outside the ring it's about picking the right moment and right time - I hope I've got it right," he told BBC Sport.

"I don't worry about his fitness or punching power, all I wonder about is Amir staying focused and his head movement.

"Provided he does that, I think Amir can give a great display and beat Barrera."

I certainly didn't see this coming around :|

Amir Khan's contest with ring legend Marco Antonio Barrera will take place at the Manchester Evening News Arena.

The 22-year-old, from nearby Bolton, is relishing the atmosphere that will be generated inside the 20,000-seat venue.

"I'm so happy that the fight is at the MEN Arena and it's going to be an absolutely wicked atmosphere on the night that will really get my juices flowing," he told www.frankwarren.tv

"There have been so many great nights there and I was ringside for Calzaghe v Lacy and Hatton v Tszyu and I believe that my fight against Barrera ranks up alongside those, I just can't wait."

As a Brit, I'd just like to say what we're all thinking, and that is R.I.P. Kahn. You're gonna get massacred!

Amir Khan, hope you saved up all that cash you earned because after you get plastered by Barrera, even Frank Warren can't get you back up after this!

Pac Man's coach can train you all you like, but no amount of muscle will fix up that glass chin!

Agreed, Zoom7000. Kahn is still inexperienced, and he hasn't fought any good names yet. Not exactly a good sign when you get KO'ed by Briedis Prescott!

I don't know why people are counting the guy out. He has a chance. A good one at that.

And MJ, if you think that Prescott was a crap finisher, I want you to show me another boxer with 20 wins, inc. 18 KO's.

And MJ, if you think that Prescott was a crap finisher, I want you to show me another boxer with 20 wins, inc. 18 KO's.

I didn't say he was a crap finisher. I meant he was relatively unknown at the time; although to be fair, he does have a better record than Kahn.

I hope Khan can do well but they train them well down in the South America and I feel it will be to much for Khan on the day.

I didn't say he was a crap finisher. I meant he was relatively unknown at the time; although to be fair, he does have a better record than Kahn.

But I don't think it matters if he was unknown. With a record like his, I would have been surprised if Khan didn't get knocked by a clean hook from Prescott.

• 1 month later...

Tonight!

This does not sound good for Amir Khan... :p

On a more entertaining note, I can't believe that Don King can still run that gob after all these years!

My boy kicked ass :) - listened to this via the BBC website, it definitely sounded impressive. I'll be looking forward to watching this when I get the chance.

A head clash is never pretty that being said Khan was amazing....next up a WBO title shot.

Although I have to say that Barrera would have performed better without the cut, it still may not have been enough.

Khan was on the ball.