Denon SCM37 questions before I buy

Hi all.

I currently own a Marantz PM 4000, and it suits me for now. I use it for audio from my computer, which houses a X-Fi X-7.1 soundcard. I am in the market for some bookshelf speakers for under ?100, which I can wall mount, and enjoy listening to my music.

I enjoy a lot of Irish folk music, and in particular the fiddle, so I tend to be around the mid-range and high-range most of the time. That said I do enjoy some drum and bass, and while bass is not my most important element, I would like to know that my speakers can handle the bass, at a reasonable level.

I am interested in the Denon SCM37 speakers;

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/mo...Product_ID/4310

I plan on perhaps in the future, to purchase a Denon amplifier, and already own the wall-mounts for the bookshelves when they arrive. However I have not ordered yet, I am hoping perhaps someone could inform me if they would be a good purchase?

I'd encourage you to listen to them, before making your purchasing choice. And, if you can, see if you can listen to them set up near a wall like you would be listening to them.

Agree with the Snake, but for the money you could probably find a pair of nice Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's.

Agree with the Snake, but for the money you could probably find a pair of nice Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's.

Thanks, out of interest if you own those, can you give me a small review of them? I enjoy some bass but as I said I need a good overall sound quality in a small form factor, I enjoy some thumping base at times when the mood takes.

You might also take a look at some passive studio monitors, as they'd have enough magnetic shielding to sit near a monitor or a tower, and not have interference issues. Also, they are designed for nearfield sound, like sitting at a desk, rather than sitting across the room on a couch, like you typically would when listening to loudspeakers.

Thanks, out of interest if you own those, can you give me a small review of them? I enjoy some bass but as I said I need a good overall sound quality in a small form factor, I enjoy some thumping base at times when the mood takes.

I don't have them but have seen and heard them and I would say that they are very good for the money.

Unfortunately you are not going to get 'thumping bass' in a speaker of that size.