Powerful 2.1 system [out of the box or separate audio components]

Looking for Home Theater in a Box or something i can put together myself[receiver+Bookshelf Speakers+Powered Subwoofer]

The more bass the better, i'm a basshead....

Has to decode as many versions of DTS and Dolby Digital as possible.

Has to have Digital Optical Input.

Has to have headphone jack on the unit/receiver for late night viewing pleasure.

So far found Onkyo CS-V720S http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=CS-V72...udiosys&p=f

But then abit of googling resulted into an interesting list from Samsung - Surround Audio Processing/Decoding:

Dolby Digital

Dolby Pro Logic II

Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Dolby Digital EX

Dolby Digital+

Dolby True HD

DTS

DTS ES Discrete 6.1

DTS 96/24

DTS Neo 6

DTS-HD

Did they left any out, Is there more out there?

It also created a question - Is there any Receiver out there that decodes all of them and will allow me to connect just 2 speakers and subwoofer?!

Looking forward for your thoughts and feedback

Thanks in advance!!

It also created a question - Is there any Receiver out there that decodes all of them and will allow me to connect just 2 speakers and subwoofer?!
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why...

Are you looking for something you can upgrade in the future?

^ I second that.

Your anticipating way to much for what your wanting, I'm assuming?

If you only want a 2.1 system then ignore everything about audio codecs; they will be overtly redundant for a simple 2.1 setup.

If your looking at building an HT from 2.1 and adding pieces then you need to set a base budget to launch from.

i don't see the point of:

Dolby Digital

Dolby Pro Logic II

Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Dolby Digital EX

Dolby Digital+

Dolby True HD

DTS

DTS ES Discrete 6.1

DTS 96/24

DTS Neo 6

DTS-HD

that in 2.1, but home theater in a box stuff, klipsh is good, i like pioneer stuff too

We really need a budget to work from. You can get a HTIAB setup from about ?50, ranging up to several ?000's, and you can get seperates setups from about ?100, ranging, again, up to ?000's.

Plus, bass isn't everything - I think that systems sound better when the subwoofer doesn't overpower the rest of the speakers.

Are you looking for something you can upgrade in the future?
Would be nice...

The reason behind decoding/downmixing as many DTS and Dolby codecs as possible is to enjoy as much media as possible... :D

The reason behind 2.1 is because setup will be used with multiple sources and one of them is computer with 1080p LCD monitor...,setup will be capable of playing variety of HD media, blu-ray, HDTV & HDTV DVR, HD content off Apple store, internet in general...plus general stereo music playback while working on computer...

The reason i posted the list of DTS and Dolby codecs list is because i was somewhat surprised of the number of how many of them is out there... hence the question "Is there any Receiver out there that decodes all of them" just out of curiosity...

If your looking at building an HT from 2.1 and adding pieces then you need to set a base budget to launch from.

Receiver is the launch, so gotta set budget for that first, probably not more than 800$

Speakers probably around 150-300$

Subwoofer 100-300$

Edited by xGo

Then you might want to realize what many of them do. Many of them are different ways of creating multi-channel audio from a stereo source.

So for your purposes, many of those "codecs" are used to generate channels of audio your won't be using. They in fact, "upmix", not downmix. Perhaps someone with some extra time could break down which ones of those are actually relevant to someone with only two speakers.

So, do you want a multi-channel receiver, or just a stereo one?

Anyways, we still need a price range.

Edited by shakey_snake

Receiver is the launch, so gotta set budget for that first, probably not more than 800$

Speakers probably around 150-300$

Subwoofer 100-300$

In my book building a HT is the same as buying a car, its an investment and the more you know what your doing the better off you will be and the much happier you will be knowing what you've put together.

That said you have options.

Around the $800 range you can purchase a new, decent receiver (amp and decoder) or purchase an older used model or go with separates (separate amp and decoder;pre/pro).

Pros of new receiver:

1. Has all the newest bells and whistles
  2. Has HDMI support - more on that later

Cons of new receiver:

1. Price of bells and whistles comes with a price - less beefy amp
  2. For many, bells and whistles are added fluff

Pro's of used receiver:

1. Older generation of models typically have better amps built in
  2. Are much cheaper than new, obviously

Con's

1. Typically don't come with HDMI
  2. Doesn't "decode" the newer audio formats - not necessary though ;)

Of course throw separates into the mix which is the best path for up-grade ability, allows you to purchase a simple decoder;pre/pro and get the beefiest amp you want; you have options here.

Simple rule of thumb: Don't let all of these audio formats scare you; the newer ones are simply redundant when it comes to purchasing new equipment. If you are truly building towards a full fledged surround sound experience, vs a meager 2.1 setup and want HD or blu-ray capability down the road, make sure your equipment can accept analog Multi Channel PCM (this is the same as SACD or DVD-Audio). If it does, then it will decode all the codecs out there, period.

With standard DVD's, the player will stream both the audio and video formats from the device to either the TV or receiver to decode. With HD-DVD and Blu-Ray all decoding or unpackaging of the audio and video formats must take place at the player level due to the formats base specifications. Unless otherwise stated on the box, such as a PS3, you are able to use regular analog cables to transmit the audio and video, providing MCPCM output and 1080p video output is guaranteed. If so it not only negates using HDMI and purchasing HDMI specific items in your HT, but also ensuring that your receiver can decode these newer formats; its already done in your HD player.

It is a common misunderstanding to go out and purchase a system that is HDMI compliant in order to receive all of the new HD audio streams; this isn't the case providing your not strapped to only HDMI as a conduit for HD audio video (read: PS3 and Blu-Ray). Regular component and multichannel analog connections serve the HD purpose very well and will save you much money.

Now, if you buy a new machine, chances are that the newer codes will appear as an included feature. Great if you go the complete HDMI route, but bad if you know how to build your own system. The newer codecs, similar to the old ones are licensed out to electronic manufacturers, who in turn pass the costs onto you the consumer. Nothing new, and is standard practice in the market. To keep costs down, and consistent, while adding newer and newer features and codecs, something has to be cut. You guessed it, its the amp. For about twenty years now manufacturers have been skimping on the power that the amplifier outputs to your speakers. That is why high dollar separates from 4 years ago are currently an excellent bang for the buck. They don't pack all the new fangled bells etc as modern day counterparts, and they aren't exactly obsolete either.

A good brand to start with, if you choose to go with a receiver is Harman Kardon. Around 800 they make a good machine with a stout amp. I bought one to demo in my setup about a year ago and was floored in the amount of power it outputted at high levels. Granted I run Klipsch Reference in my setup, and Klipsch doesn't need much power to get loud and exciting :)

Finally (yeah this post is to darn long) start with Klipsch Sub 10 or 12 at your local Best Buy. Hands down these are the BEST in class subs you can get that pack a punch and outruns the competition in the near price range.

Any other questions, ask. I'll write another book.