Sony Vaio P

Don't they all come with Vista though? Most of the negative things I've read about the P, are because Vista is a slow pig on it.

This is true. I've been running Windows 7 Build 7048 on it now for about a week, and it's so much better than Vista. It uses less resources and everything just feels faster.

Another issue is Sony's crapware and their crapware "recovery" partition. For anyone planning on getting the Vaio P, I highly recommend you do a full, clean install of Win7 and be sure to delete the unnecessary "recovery" partition. All it contains are drivers that can be gotten from Sony's support site, anyway.

I've now updated the OS on the Vaio P to the Build 7057 and I've continued to experience no issues. This netbook was built for Windows 7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For the Intel GMA 500, was it a problem with the installer stopping because of "non-supported OS"? If so, have you tried running the install package by right-clicking on it & selecting "Troubleshoot Compatibility"? This worked for me when trying to install "Vista-only" drivers on a crappy HP notebook.

While I think the P is pretty expensive, I do agree with the need for better quality netbooks. My mom has the earlier Asus EEEpc's, and it certainly does the job, but does not feel like a quality build at all.

For the Intel GMA 500, was it a problem with the installer stopping because of "non-supported OS"? If so, have you tried running the install package by right-clicking on it & selecting "Troubleshoot Compatibility"? This worked for me when trying to install "Vista-only" drivers on a crappy HP notebook.

Actually, I did get the driver installed alright on Windows 7, it's just more of the fact that Intel doesn't seem to support this chipset at all. Now that it's being bundled onto the next generation Atom processor this will all change, but for the moment, I just can't help but feel that Intel isn't doing a damn thing to fix some of the major issues this chip seems to have.

That's a steep price for a "quality" build.

Could've bought two Asus netbooks, easy. A cost that high doesn't justify the quality of the material.. an extra hundred, tops.

That's a steep price for a "quality" build.

Could've bought two Asus netbooks, easy. A cost that high doesn't justify the quality of the material.. an extra hundred, tops.

I don't care for Asus netbooks at all.

Also, some people pay a lot of money to buy a MacBook when they could get a comparable PC for half the price. People pay money for things that they find valuable or most appealing to them.