120hz or 60hz?

So I picked up a new 42 Inch 1080p 120Hz Vizio XVT over the weekend and so far I am not so impressed with it. This TV was replacing an old 32 Inch 720p Vizio that has served me well over the last few years.

The sound is crap, not sure if it is just this model or not. Also, HD coming through Coax from my cable provider looks fantastic, but I am getting quite a few artifacts and delays I did not get with my 32 Inch.

Is 120Hz not ready for mainstream? I am thinking about returning the XVT and just getting a 37 Inch 1080p Vizio TV and saving $130.00ish. Would this be a good buy?

I disabled 120Hz on my HDTV, or as they call it "true motion", because it is very annoying to watch, and basically looks like crap on TV shows and movies, making everything very unwatchable

Is there a way to turn off the 120Hz? I know some samsung models allows you to disable it. If so I would reccommend disabling it for coax and see if you still have the same problem.

Not sure about this Visio brand, but 120 Hz is the way to go now.

From what I am hearing from other people the problem is that the broadcast isn't sent in 120Hz so the TV has to make up for the difference and that is where the artifacts come in.

Is there a way to turn off the 120Hz? I know some samsung models allows you to disable it. If so I would reccommend disabling it for coax and see if you still have the same problem.

I am not sure if they allow you to turn it off or not, I didn't see the option in the menus but there might have been something about "True Motion" or something similar, I will have to check it out.

I disabled 120Hz on my HDTV, or as they call it "true motion", because it is very annoying to watch, and basically looks like crap on TV shows and movies, making everything very unwatchable

I agree. If I ever buy a TV with this "feature" I will make sure it has the option to be turned off. I can't stand it.

I am not sure if they allow you to turn it off or not, I didn't see the option in the menus but there might have been something about "True Motion" or something similar, I will have to check it out.

It could be called something else too, they were called two different things between my Sony Bravia, and my brothers LG, but we can both turn it off.

120 Hz is stupid. Basically the tv signal is sent in 60fps and the lcd takes those frames and inserts interpolated frames in between them. It looks bad sometimes when the processor the tv is using can't accurately interpolate frames that match what comes before it and what comes after it.

LCD tv's only have 120 Hz because the actual response time of large (45"+) LCD tv's is too low and causes them to blur fast motion. The idea is that if you insert "made up" frames it will cause the tv to look less blury, even tho the response rate of the actual tv hasn't changed. Lower end tv's like vizio don't put the processing power in their tv's to allow them do it even as well as the better brands (sony, samsung, etc.).

The funny thing is that nobody is going to record 120Hz content, and even if they did your "120Hz" tv couldn't display it anyway. The whole situation evolved to take advantage of people that think big numbers are important even if they don't know what they mean.

120 Hz is stupid. Basically the tv signal is sent in 60fps and the lcd takes those frames and inserts interpolated frames in between them. It looks bad sometimes when the processor the tv is using can't accurately interpolate frames that match what comes before it and what comes after it.

LCD tv's only have 120 Hz because the actual response time of large (45"+) LCD tv's is too low and causes them to blur fast motion. The idea is that if you insert "made up" frames it will cause the tv to look less blury, even tho the response rate of the actual tv hasn't changed. Lower end tv's like vizio don't put the processing power in their tv's to allow them do it even as well as the better brands (sony, samsung, etc.).

The funny thing is that nobody is going to record 120Hz content, and even if they did your "120Hz" tv couldn't display it anyway. The whole situation evolved to take advantage of people that think big numbers are important even if they don't know what they mean.

+1 its a pretty big marketing ploy, my samsung ln52a650 has option for off, low, med, full and when i set it to full it def almost makes whatever i am watching look fake.. its hard to describe... i currently have it set to low... but i really dont see that much of a difference..

You have to realize that 120hz and True Motion are seperate things. You still get 120hz when the option is set to off, but when On, the option tries to add extra frames to the image and that's when things get screwy. You'll still benefit from 120hz even when the enhancement stuff is off.

You have to realize that 120hz and True Motion are seperate things. You still get 120hz when the option is set to off, but when On, the option tries to add extra frames to the image and that's when things get screwy. You'll still benefit from 120hz even when the enhancement stuff is off.

I figured it was the extra frames that was annoying him, and that turning True Motion off would fix his problem.

So what's the benefit of 120 Hz if you're watching SD tv, BD movies and playing PS3?

A smoother image in regards to motion, especially when you have something like text scrolling across the screen.

CES 2009 was the showcase of new 240hz HDTV..... So, if you don't like 120, imagine 240!!!

Both my HDTV are 60hz, and I don't have any problem with then, even watching news with text scrolling. I just can't see what I'm missing.

Last time I was at BestBuy, standing next to a couple that where shopping for a LCD TV, the seller was trying like hell to show them how the 120hz was just so much better (on 2 Sony Bravia). Well, nobody saw the difference.

I have the Sony Bravia 40" with the 120, and there is a difference. I have it on, and friends whom come over and play on the 360 elite noticed Halo 3 looks better, and sports (like football) and some HD programs look different, sharper, CBS Monday night show special look better, where Fox don't look much better.

I also have a Sony Bravia # 32? and when they are side by side, the 40? picture is better, hands down.

Also note I purchased from Costco, and they paid me $300 to take the 120 model with a Blue Ray player, where the none 120 model had no price breaks or additions. (I paid around $1157).

Edited by thejohnnyq

Isn't the 100/120hz tv's supposed to avoid the choppy horizontal and vertical screen panning that occurs on a lot of LCD tv's.

even though that's more a symptom of the 100hz tv's simply having a more powerful image processor so they can handle the pans while the regular ones have crappy ones that often can't handle all the full screen changes over time.

I figured it was the extra frames that was annoying him, and that turning True Motion off would fix his problem.
A smoother image in regards to motion, especially when you have something like text scrolling across the screen.

False...Content does that is not filmed in 120Hz can't natively run in 120Hz...period. Either frames have to added in or frames will be shown twice (but then it isn't actually 120Hz, 120fps/2 is still 60fps). AFAIK, when I was selling tv's all of them that claimed "120Hz" didn't run in that natively, it was only a feature that you turned on.

It really looked bad in live action movies that incorporated a lot of cgi, for some reason the tv couldn't match up the computer generated animation and the other motion on screen. I'm not saying that 120Hz doesn't look different than normal. My argument is that it doesn't improve the picture, and in some cases it makes it worse or ruins it.

Edited by Edge00