[jQuery] Insert into MySql

Question

I'm looking for a solution to insert a form field into a database using jQuery, without having to reload the page at all.

The code will eventually be a comment form field that inserts into the Comments database, but can't disrupt the streaming music.

9 answers to this question

jQuery is just a client-side scripting language which, in the context of your request, can help automate AJAX calls to a script - if you can make a PHP script which adds things to a database based on the query-string input parameters, you can get jQuery to call it easily without reloading the page.

Moved to Web Client Side

jQuery is just a client-side scripting language which helps automate HTTP requests - if you can make a PHP script which adds things to a database based on querystring input parameters, you can get jQuery to call it easily without reloading the page.

Moved to Web Client Side

lol, thanks rob, but do you got a quick example?

$("#SubmitButton").click(function() { 
	$.ajax({type:"GET", url:"submit.php", data:$("form#YourForm").serialize(), cache:false, timeout:10000,
		success: function() { 
			// Request has been successfully submitted	
		},
		error: function() {
			// An error occurred, do something about it
		},
		complete: function() { 
			// We're all done so do any cleaning up - turn off spinner animation etc.
		}
	});
});

Process:

• The button with an ID of SubmitButton is clicked, and the above function is called
  • All the inputs inside your <form id="YourForm"></form> element are serialised and send to submit.php
  • The output is analysed - was it successful or did an error occur due to a timeout of 10 seconds, or an HTTP error?
  • Clean up, and do anything you need to when you know the request (successful or not) is done

As Rob has said, jQuery can be used to make AJAX calls back to your server, so if you createa php script to do the grunt work, you can have your jQuery do the following:

var insertIntoDatabase = function(param1, param2)
{
  $.get("myphpscript.php", { "param1" : param1, "param2" : param2 }, function(result) {
	alert(result);
  });
};

Have a look at the JQuery API for some more examples, also, $.getJSON is quite a good method, if you are returning data from the server in JSON format, than it will automatically interpret the response as a Javascript object.

Edit: Rob's more complete example is probably the better one to follow...

Maybe I should mention i've never used jquery before :p And have almost no to little idea what you guys just said lol

Do you know PHP?

What's that?

Just kidding. I have a great grasp on PHP & MySql, some knowledge in Javascript, with no knowledge in Ajax or jQuery. I just seen a list of scripts here that shows some examples of how it works, and thought I could insert comments on my web site instead of having the page reload each time.

Here's a one-page, self-contained example I cooked up.

&lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"&gt;
&lt;html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en"&gt;
	&lt;head&gt;
		&lt;script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3/jquery.min.js"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;
	&lt;/head&gt;
	&lt;body&gt;
		&lt;script type="text/javascript"&gt;
			// Document's loaded, register the click trigger
			$(document).ready(function() { $("#SubmitLink").click(function() { submitForm(); return false; } ); });

// Function to do the AJAX
			function submitForm() {
					$.ajax({type:"GET", url:"submit.php", data:$("#CommentsForm").serialize(), cache:false, timeout:10000,
						success: function() {
							// Request has been successfully submitted
							alert("Succeeded"); 			
						},
						  error: function() {
							// An error occurred, do something about it
							alert("Failed");
	   					},
						complete: function() {
							// We're all done so do any cleaning up.
							alert("Regardless of the outcome we're going to add the comment for demonstration purposes:");
							addCommentLocally();
						}
   					});
			}

// Function to add the comment to the page
			function addCommentLocally() {
				$("#comments").append('&lt;div class="comment"&gt;Field 1: '+$("#field1").val()+'&lt;br /&gt;Field 2: '+$("#field2").val()+'&lt;br /&gt;Field 3: '+$("#field3").val()+'&lt;/div&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;');
				$("#CommentsForm input").val("");
			}
		&lt;/script&gt;

&lt;h1&gt;jQuery Example&lt;/h1&gt;
		&lt;h2&gt;AJAX Comments&lt;/h2&gt;

&lt;h3&gt;Current Comments&lt;/h3&gt;
		&lt;div id="comments"&gt;
			&lt;div class="comment"&gt;Field 1: ABC&lt;br /&gt;Field 2: DEF&lt;br /&gt;Field 3: GHI&lt;/div&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
			&lt;div class="comment"&gt;Field 1: JKL&lt;br /&gt;Field 2: MNO&lt;br /&gt;Field 3: PQR&lt;/div&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
		&lt;/div&gt;

&lt;h3&gt;Add a Comment&lt;/h3&gt;
		&lt;form id="CommentsForm" name="CommentsForm"&gt;
			&lt;p&gt;
				Field 1: &lt;input name="field1" id="field1" type="text" /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
				Field 2: &lt;input name="field2" id="field2" type="text" /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
				Field 3: &lt;input name="field3" id="field3" type="text" /&gt;
			&lt;/p&gt;
		&lt;/form&gt;		
		&lt;p&gt;&lt;a href="#" id="SubmitLink"&gt;Submit!&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;	
	&lt;/body&gt;
&lt;/html&gt;