UFC 96

UFC 96 - Jackson vs. Jardine

post-40273-1234707214_thumb.jpg

Date Time: Mar-7-2009 3am GMT on Setanta Sports

Event Type: International Event

Description: Former UFC? Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson was at his devastating best last December as he settled his score with Wanderlei Silva via a chilling first round knockout. On Saturday, March 7, Jackson will look to move one step closer to regaining his title when he takes on the man who beat both Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin, Keith "The Dean of Mean" Jardine. For the third year in a row, the Ultimate Fighting Championship? is heading back to Columbus, Ohio for UFC 96: JACKSON vs. JARDINE, live from the Nationwide Arena on Saturday, March 7, 2009 on Setanta Sports.

Fight Card:

* Quinton Jackson vs. Keith Jardine

* Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

* Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz

* Gray Maynard vs. Jim Miller

* Mike Patt vs. Brandon Vera

* Ryan Madigan vs. Tamdan McCrory

* Tim Boetsch vs. Jason Brilz

* Jason Day vs. Kendall Grove

* Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell

* Shane Nelson vs. Aaron Riley

This is definately more like it! (See UFC 95!:p:p

Apparently Dana White said in The Sun this week that the winner of the main event will get a title shot ahead of the, IMO, very deserving Lyoto Machida. I still find it hard to see how Jardine could deserve a shot because he has been so up and down. He might have beaten Liddell but then got KO'd big time by both Houston Alexander and Wanderlei Silva. Again it remains to be seen what Jardine turns up, but either way I see Rampage as being too strong for him.

I really hope the Carwin/Gonzaga match up is as explosive as it sounds. I think this is the first major player Carwin has gone up against and it'll be interesting to see if his size plays a part against the also big Gonzaga.

• 2 weeks later...
That's certainly better then UFC 95 :p

Rampage will beat Jardine, I am always surprised how the dean of mean keeps popping up :p

I actually prefer the 95 card but Jardine has beaten and lost to the top guys so right now this fight makes sense.....

Jardine beat Forrest

Forrest beat Rampage

Wand beat Jardine

Rampage revenged against Wand

and for s and giggles :laugh: both Jardine and Rampage beat Liddell...(can't stand him since 2002)

Rappy c'mon seems like you kinda follow mma, you should know better then to make a statement like that.

• 2 weeks later...

certainly better than 95? Yes the names are better, but did you actually see UFC 95? It was amazing, 8 out of 10 fights didn't go the distance and they showed 9 out of 10, and most important it was all FREE.

So I don't know how much better it WILL be...

Been a hell of a long time since ive ventured around these parts.. Definately a better line up than UFC 95, not to say it wasnt a good event because it did suprise me, but this has got good undercard fights and a pretty solid televised card..

Im a huge Brandon Vera fan, the guy is awesome, but his last few fights have been lackluster, hopefully he'll pull out a good performance.

About time Gray got on the televised card too..

definitely looking forward to this. i like rampage, but jardine always causes trouble when he's not supposed to. although i kinda feel bad for him too, he is sort of that light heavyweight journey man, some big wins, some big losses, but never THE man. never really in the spotlight, always looked over. doesn't have flashy moves, etc.

Wow long time no see Kriz!

Tell me about it, its been ages since ive been on here, barely on the computer compared to before.. Thought id drop in and see who's still about and whatnot..

Hope you havnt slacked off on the old MMA rappy? ;)

Tell me about it, its been ages since ive been on here, barely on the computer compared to before.. Thought id drop in and see who's still about and whatnot..

Hope you havnt slacked off on the old MMA rappy? ;)

Nah I create nearly every MMA thread :p

We have threads up to UFC 100 :p

Been a hell of a long time since ive ventured around these parts.. Definately a better line up than UFC 95, not to say it wasnt a good event because it did suprise me, but this has got good undercard fights and a pretty solid televised card..

Im a huge Brandon Vera fan, the guy is awesome, but his last few fights have been lackluster, hopefully he'll pull out a good performance.

About time Gray got on the televised card too..

Brandon Vera huh... well too bad he's on the undercard....

He's that close to being cut from the UFC.

Rappy,

Yes this may be true but I could assume you do so just because you're a moderator but anyhow I made statement like that because I'm huge on MMA forums and what you statement is really farfetch.. but anyhow thats your statement so...so be it.. I accept it.. just wow'd by it.

Unkoil

i'm not sure yet if i'm gonna get this ppv or not.

Yea sometimes its hard if you want to dish out $50 for one, but luckly every PPV its on my buddies pad with group of people, so it turns out to be cheap. $10 gets me pizza and PPV (BYOB)

Edited by Unkoil

Yes... Nearly indeed! I created this one! lol! :p

Anyway... Tonight! As for Vera before his loss to Tim Sylvia I was tipping him a future HW Champ. Oh how wrong I was there!

This was a great event.. I thought the main event could have gone either way if not for the last 15 seconds. Matt Hamill's win was incredibly shocking.. i never would have seen that coming, glad he got the 60k bonus. Vera looked incredibly sharp, fast, and very focused. Joe Rogan said it best in the ppv, that the problem with Vera is that he should have been at LHW this whole time, that's his proper weight class, and it's the only reason for his lackluster performances. But now that he's been at the correct weight and looking incredibly fit, he's gonna be a problem for a lot of LHW's. He will not get cut from the UFC, just because he was on the undercard, don't fool yourself. So was Jon Fitch, and he's an amazing fighter. But Vera has too much of a fan base due to his charisma that if given a few straight wins he could definitely be a star.

The Gonzaga fight.. although i was rooting for him, i picked Carwin for the win. It was Gonzaga's error that made him lose the fight.. he cause Carwin with 2 heavy punches that rocked him in the first few seconds. it rocked him hard, but instead of continuing punching him, he clinched which gave carwin recovery time. Still a shocking KO.

This was a great event.. I thought the main event could have gone either way if not for the last 15 seconds. Matt Hamill's win was incredibly shocking.. i never would have seen that coming, glad he got the 60k bonus. Vera looked incredibly sharp, fast, and very focused. Joe Rogan said it best in the ppv, that the problem with Vera is that he should have been at LHW this whole time, that's his proper weight class, and it's the only reason for his lackluster performances. But now that he's been at the correct weight and looking incredibly fit, he's gonna be a problem for a lot of LHW's. He will not get cut from the UFC, just because he was on the undercard, don't fool yourself. So was Jon Fitch, and he's an amazing fighter. But Vera has too much of a fan base due to his charisma that if given a few straight wins he could definitely be a star.

The Gonzaga fight.. although i was rooting for him, i picked Carwin for the win. It was Gonzaga's error that made him lose the fight.. he cause Carwin with 2 heavy punches that rocked him in the first few seconds. it rocked him hard, but instead of continuing punching him, he clinched which gave carwin recovery time. Still a shocking KO.

I could not agree more.

Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

It was funny, they were talking about his 10 - 0 achievment of not having a match go longer then 1:45 in round one. Then i looked like he was about to lose and i turned my friends and said "When you are 10-1, not having a match go longer then 1:45 in the first round dosn't sound quite as amazing".

I was really suprised how that fight ended. Carwin took him down with such a short punch to. Imagin if that was a full swing.

So since carwin won, how close is he to a title match? or is he still far off. I know Mir and Lesner fight next, I think Lesner is screwed although i would like to see him keep it.

So since carwin won, how close is he to a title match? or is he still far off. I know Mir and Lesner fight next, I think Lesner is screwed although i would like to see him keep it.

As far as I know the Frank Mir versus Brock Lesnar match has been cancelled due to the fact Mir suffered an injury during training. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I saw it on The Score.

http://mmafrenzy.com/9585/frank-mir-injury...lesnar-rematch/

Seems like most likely date for their match would be UFC 100.

Shane Carwin vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

It was funny, they were talking about his 10 - 0 achievment of not having a match go longer then 1:45 in round one. Then i looked like he was about to lose and i turned my friends and said "When you are 10-1, not having a match go longer then 1:45 in the first round dosn't sound quite as amazing".

I was really suprised how that fight ended. Carwin took him down with such a short punch to. Imagin if that was a full swing.

It depends on Joe Silva... and Carwin's next two matches and if he wins how exciting his wins are..

He's 2-3 matches away.