Preliminary Card

* Middleweight bout: David Loiseau vs. Ed Herman

* Middleweight bout: Denis Kang vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam

* Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs. Sam Stout

* Middleweight bout: Nate Quarry vs. Jason MacDonald

* Welterweight bout: Ryo Chonan vs. TJ Grant

* Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. David Bielkheden

Looking forward to Chuck and Rua.

If current form is anything to go by, Chuck should completely obliterate Shogun. Not because Chuck is doing well, but because Shogun is doing so bad!

As for Anderson Silva, should be another routine day at the office! :laugh:

If current form is anything to go by, Chuck should completely obliterate Shogun. Not because Chuck is doing well, but because Shogun is doing so bad!

As for Anderson Silva, should be another routine day at the office! :laugh:

Wanderlei was so shocked at how bad Shoguns cardio was he invited Shogun to train with him at his personal gym in Las Vegas and Shogun accepted. So he is working his cardio with Wand and his legendary cardio trainer as well as sparring with Allistar Overeem who was also at Wand's gym just to spar with Shogun. Shogun should look a lot better with these training partners. At the same time Chuck spent over a 1 month training with American Top Team, should be a good fight.

I hope Chuck wins that one but if he doesn't it's been a good career (Y)

:rolleyes:

If he loses I'm sure he won't retire..., he's already stated he'll never make the decision to retire after a fight. Plus he is fighting the former number one rank 205er in the world.

I hope he loses.

:rolleyes:

If he loses I'm sure he won't retire..., he's already stated he'll never make the decision to retire after a fight. Plus he is fighting the former number one rank 205er in the world.

I hope he loses.

I doubt he'd be back with the UFC, he's lost a lot of fights in the last year or two.

I doubt he'd be back with the UFC, he's lost a lot of fights in the last year or two.

Despite the losses he brings in a lot of revenue for the UFC, and those losses won't detract him from wanting to fight anyways as after bonuses he usually walks around after a fight with $4million in hand.

Silva versus Leites? Silva's going to destroy that guy

Wow Shift I guess you don't know anything about MMA and only UFC..

You must not know Leites.

I will say this.... Silva is heavly favored.

3 isn't a lot, if all fighters had that way of thinking there would be a lot of retired fighters...

Try reading or watching some of Icemans interviews... retiring after this fight won't happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another lame main event by Silva. Patrick Cote screwed up the last one with his failknee and now this with Laites always going down thinking he can get Silva to follow.

The match was so exciting that the audience were chanting the name of GSP who was sitting down and watching rather than the ones fightning.

very boring main event.. I've always been a liddell fan, but i'm willing to finally admit that he now has a glass jaw and shouldn't fight any more.

Indeed. Although I can't blame Silva too much (he's the one with the belt), but both of them were just not doing anything. I'm about to call Silva Anderson "The do nothing spider" Silva.

Dana White: Chuck Liddell is retired

MONTREAL ? One of the most storied careers in mixed martial arts has come to a close.

According to UFC President Dana White, longtime UFC fighter Chuck Liddell, who suffered a first-round TKO loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the co-main event of Saturday's UFC 97 event, is retired from fighting.

"He's a huge superstar, and we could still sell lots of tickets (with Liddell)," White said. "But I don't care about that. I care about him. I care about his health, and it's over, man. It's over."

The loss to Rua was Liddell's fourth in his past five fights and the third to come via knockout in that span. Although Liddell said he retooled his training camp, and though some of those new skills were on display on Saturday at Montreal's Bell Centre, Liddell still suffered the career-ending loss.

Much of the buildup for UFC 97 focused on Liddell's potential retirement. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported last week, White had been adamant that a loss for 39-year-old Liddell would mean retirement. He softened that stance at a pre-UFC 97 press conference, possibly because Liddell said he still had a few fights left in him.

Following Rua's TKO victory, though, and after Liddell left the post-event press conference, White again spoke definitively.

"How we built this company ? using boxing as the blueprint ? (and we) don't let guys hang around longer than they should," White said. "I was pushing for retirement. He's my friend, I love him, and I care about him. We sat down (prior to UFC 97). We had a two-hour talk. He wanted to do this (fight). I said, 'If you take this seriously ? if I hear you're in one [expletive] nightclub, if you're not training, if you're not doing this, doing that ? it's over. That's it. He said, 'No, I'm taking this seriously.'

"And he did. He kept his word. He was in great shape. He came out guns slinging like he does, but that was it. If that (fight) was a toe-to-toe war and he got flashed (knocked down) a couple times and it went to decision, he'd still be retiring too. He'd still be retiring."

White said the decision is all the easier when considering all that the former UFC light-heavyweight champion has accomplished. White continually states that Liddell is the highest earner in MMA history and the biggest star the sport has ever seen.

"I don't want him to fight anymore," White said. "He [expletive] doesn't have anything to prove. Nothing to prove. He doesn't have to prove anything to me or the rest of world. He has [expletive] loads of money. There's no reason for it. ... I don't care how much he draws. I don't want to see him get hurt."

Liddell attended the post-UFC 97 press conference, a rarity for high-profile stars who suffer losses in their fights. White said it's just the type of person Liddell is. But maybe Liddell just wanted to say goodbye ? without officially saying goodbye.

When asked if he had entered the cage for the final time, Liddell was at first noncommittal but later admitted it was probably true.

"Yeah, that's probably the case," Liddell said. "I'm not going to make any decisions until I go home to talk to everybody, talk to my people and my friends. ... But it's probably safe to say (I'm retired)."

The news will likely hit the MMA world hard. Despite his 1-4 record since his final title defense over Tito Ortiz at UFC 66, Liddell remains a fan favorite, a proven par-per-view draw, and an international icon for the sport.

"Fight fans love guys who are real fighters, and you will never in your [expletive] life meet a more real fighter than this guy," White said. "He didn't want to stop. He didn't want to quit. He wanted to take another run at the title. He loves to fight."

Liddell retires with a 21-7 record, including a 16-6 mark in the UFC. His 16 wins in the organizations remain a UFC record.

Liddell, who turned pro in 1998, made his MMA and UFC debut at UFC 17. He won the UFC's light-heavyweight title in 2005 and made four consecutive title defenses before losing the belt to Quinton Jackson in 2007.

According to White, Liddell will remain with the organization, though an exact role has not been determined. However, White said Liddell will likely be involved in the organization's public relations, including the push for MMA legislation in the few remaining U.S. states where the sport is not currently regulated.

"He'll always have a home here," White said.

Well then, Dana's right I guess, what's more to prove when you already became champion in the past.

Like always, he brings in Fedor in his answers. He admitted that he didn't like the main event but goes on that Silva is the best P4P fighter in the world and that Fedor is somewhere in Russia eating in a buffet.