UFC 98

Stephan Bonnar says Matt Hughes is retiring after UFC 98

First, Matt Serra dropped some hints that he's at least entertaining the idea of retiring after Saturday's UFC 98 event.

Now, it's his opponent's name that's popping up in recent retirement talk.

On the latest edition of ESPN's "MMA Live," UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar said he heard directly from Matt Hughes that the former champ will call it quits after his fight with Serra.

"I've heard it from Matt Hughes' mouth that this is going to be his last fight ? I think win or lose," said Bonnar, who fights Mark Coleman at UFC 100 in July. "He really has nothing left to prove."

In a rash of interviews heading into tomorrow's UFC 98 co-main event, Hughes (42-7 MMA, 15-5 UFC), 35, hasn't necessarily ruled out the possibility.

However, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported just two months ago, Hughes had mentioned a possible move up to middleweight and the potential for additional fights at welterweight.

"I still would toy with the idea of moving up to 185 (pounds) to face (UFC middleweight champion Anderson) Silva," Hughes said during a UFC Fight Club Q&A session at UFC 96. "But I've got to square away things in my weight class before I do that, though."

That's doesn't exactly sound like someone with retirement on his mind. Then again, even with a win over underdog Serra on Saturday, Hughes would need at least another year of consecutive wins to get back into the title picture.

And as Bonnar said, Hughes really has nothing left to prove.

During his 11-year career, Hughes held the UFC's welterweight title from November 2001 to January 2004 and again from October 2004 to November 2006. The legendary run included seven title defenses and wins over notables such as Georges St. Pierre, B.J. Penn, Sean Sherk, Frank Trigg, Carlos Newton and even the legendary Royce Gracie.

As part of the festivities surrounding July's historic UFC 100 card, the UFC will induct two new members into the organization's hall of fame. Chuck Liddell appears to be a lock. And if Hughes does, in fact, announce his retirement at UFC 98, he could very well be the other inductee.

yeah, he techinically dominted sherk. sherk couldn't do anything.

Yeah Sherk has to go back to the drawing board now.

It took longer to write the French dudes name then for him to fight :rofl:

Yeah, that dude went down in a hurry. Huges wins. I think that was a pretty even fight all in all.

What a LHW fight!

My man MACHIDA is NEW champ! Booya!

Hell Yeah!!!!!

I had a little smile on my face when Evans went down :p

^ Agreed!

Machida's stance is really unique compared to other UFC fighters. It's harder for them to expect where he'll strike from.

What a great fight that was.. I'm not a big fan of evans although i realize he has talent in his speed and power.. but i picked Machida coming into this fight simply from past fights and statistics, the guy is the most elusive fighter ever. I dont think he took 1 solid shot from rashad the whole fight, he takes NO DAMAGE, it's crazy. What really made me happy is that during the final little flurry of shots by Machida, after the first few it looks as though Rashad has a smirk on his face like he did when Forrest hit him.. but within a few seconds it went away as he was passed out..lol

I guess drinking your own urine does a body good :p

Evans was exposed for the amateur he is.

I hate the guy as much as the next person but to call him amateur is a little stupid. He beat some of the best people in that division, and has an 18-1 record.. that's FAR from amateur.

i agree. amateur may be serious sarcasm...hehe. he has beaten some good peeps. i was amazed to see him get beaten. that little part was the best of that UFC....next.....

Machida is the man. I am really happy to see him with the belt. Next in line is Rampage right? I don't see him going past 2 rounds before Machida rocks him. I dont think there is anyone else in the LHW that can take machida.

And i like that

Machida is the man. I am really happy to see him with the belt. Next in line is Rampage right? I don't see him going past 2 rounds before Machida rocks him. I dont think there is anyone else in the LHW that can take machida.

And i like that

Eventually they will just get someone to switch weight classes to fight him like they are with Silva and Griffin.