Upgrading the firmware on a TV?

It should help any hardware (or even software (menu)) problems you might be having, i.e. Sound cutting out, problem with specific video or audio type, etc...

I've done a firmware upgrade on my Samsung and it's really easy. Just slap the file onto a USB stick and pop it into the USB port. Takes only a minute or so to upgrade, so you might as well.

I just looked it up, they are both apparently to address the issue of "Intermittent red blur when watching moving picture."

If you don't experience this, maybe you don't need to worry about it.

I just looked it up, they are both apparently to address the issue of "Intermittent red blur when watching moving picture."

If you don't experience this, maybe you don't need to worry about it.

Yes, I technically don't have any problems right now with picture or sound other than trying to freaking fine tune it (its a mess). I was just bored and wondered it could help boost any areas of my TV, but if it only is to fix that issue I probably shouldn't bother. Guess

Yes, I technically don't have any problems right now with picture or sound other than trying to freaking fine tune it (its a mess). I was just bored and wondered it could help boost any areas of my TV, but if it only is to fix that issue I probably shouldn't bother. Guess

also note that a firmware update will resest any custom video settings you have made, so be sure to write down your current settings if you plan to do the update...

your tv have wifi?

I dont think it needs to have Wifi. TV signals themselves can contain the firmware, atleast thats how my freeview updates! I heard that firmware for TV manufacturers can be sent out through the airwaves.

my television 50in Magnavox required a firmware update because after a power outage it would no longer display HD images it would only default to 720 for some reason instead of going to 1080 after the firmware update all was well again. and i simply put it on a flash drive put it in the tv and it did its thing only took a minute or so.

also note that a firmware update will resest any custom video settings you have made, so be sure to write down your current settings if you plan to do the update...

Well it will never save custom settings in the first place. I have been battling with that TV for a month trying to get it out of the demo mode. If I hold down the menu button for a while it will either say store demo or standard. Even if I select standard and then go in and make changes to the backlight setting (of standard), next time I turn on the TV it will be back to the presets (just like in store demo).

Makes me think back to my Vizo in the other room. My TV has a service port which looks like a standard RJ-45 phone connector, but never have plugged it in and can't imagine ever using it with my home phone since I don't really have one. :) I always figured it was there in case the service techs over the phone had to "call into it" and do a fix remotely from their end, or maybe with an adapter.

In any event, my TV works pretty good but there is one channel that seems to be repeated several times in the channel line up. In other words, 12-1 12-1 12-1 12-2 12-2 12-3 12-3 or something along those lines, but if you look at the list to remove the duplicates, they don't appear, just when you tune up/down. Might be a good firmware update thing for mine. Now I am hitting the net for an update and not finding one just yet....

Thanks Mystic for reminding me to check into this!

Well it will never save custom settings in the first place. I have been battling with that TV for a month trying to get it out of the demo mode. If I hold down the menu button for a while it will either say store demo or standard. Even if I select standard and then go in and make changes to the backlight setting (of standard), next time I turn on the TV it will be back to the presets (just like in store demo).

hmm... then I would def suggest a firmware update.... that demo mode thing was an issue on my ln52a650 and once I updated the firmware I no longer had that problem.... so... update away

hmm... then I would def suggest a firmware update.... that demo mode thing was an issue on my ln52a650 and once I updated the firmware I no longer had that problem.... so... update away

Ok, well it makes me kind of nervous but I'll try it sometime tomorrow then. I think there was two updates on there so I'll have do them in order. I'll keep everybody updated on the problem.

Does warranty cover if anything goes wrong? I have the standard one year warranty and I purchased an extra year or two through Neowin when I got it.

Ok, well it makes me kind of nervous but I'll try it sometime tomorrow then. I think there was two updates on there so I'll have do them in order. I'll keep everybody updated on the problem.

Does warranty cover if anything goes wrong? I have the standard one year warranty and I purchased an extra year or two through Neowin when I got it.

that should be covered... but dont worry.. its very unlikely that anything would go wrong during a FW update... ive updated mine twice already since July 08

I dont think it needs to have Wifi. TV signals themselves can contain the firmware, atleast thats how my freeview updates! I heard that firmware for TV manufacturers can be sent out through the airwaves.

Firmware upgrades can be sent over the airwaves, in the UK at least:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

However, I think maybe it is only for freeview receivers (so your TV would update, but only the freeview part of it). I think all other firmware is done some other way. Not entirely sure on that though.

that should be covered... but dont worry.. its very unlikely that anything would go wrong during a FW update... ive updated mine twice already since July 08

Whew, definitely a sigh of relief. I will try to get everything going tomorrow and I'll report back then.

I got everything upgraded tonight and the settings are actually staying now! Sad thing is, I still can't watch Standard or Movie preset. Movie's preset's white aren't even white, they are almost like a light tan! Can anybody send me their settings for standard or movie? I the movie setting I currently have was taken from a famous guy over on AVS forums, which doesn't make sense. Maybe its just my tv or something...

I got everything upgraded tonight and the settings are actually staying now! Sad thing is, I still can't watch Standard or Movie preset. Movie's preset's white aren't even white, they are almost like a light tan! Can anybody send me their settings for standard or movie? I the movie setting I currently have was taken from a famous guy over on AVS forums, which doesn't make sense. Maybe its just my tv or something...

nice.. glad you got one of your problems fixed.... as for your settings.. have you checked the AVS forums for your model TV.. or even online for a calibration setting?.. CNET lists alot of the more common brand tvs calibration settings on their page... thats where I got mine... every TV is different so its def a good starting point.

nice.. glad you got one of your problems fixed.... as for your settings.. have you checked the AVS forums for your model TV.. or even online for a calibration setting?.. CNET lists alot of the more common brand tvs calibration settings on their page... thats where I got mine... every TV is different so its def a good starting point.

Yes when I was talking about AVS above, I should have linked. I was getting the settings directly from the A550 series post here. Any links to that one on Cnet?

Settings

Here is just one persons settings... read the below response as he updated the settings... thats a good start to compare to your likings... if you do a google search you can find tons of opinions... I just found one and started from there... and now I couldnt be happier...

Google link

Settings

Here is just one persons settings... read the below response as he updated the settings... thats a good start to compare to your likings... if you do a google search you can find tons of opinions... I just found one and started from there... and now I couldnt be happier...

Google link

I checked out the settings for the first one and they seem ok for now. I really need to play some 360 games and watch some HD content on it to fully test it out.

Thanks for all the help!