mkv2vob - now with DTS streaming to PS3

The popular tool for creating compatible vob files from mkv with AC3 audio has been successfully updated to stream DTS tracks in vob files directly to PS3 via optical or HDMI connection, making the receiver do the decoding. This is huge undertaking because so far the best quality was AC3 for movies being streamed in.

The way they made this work was a small trick where they changed the header of the audio track to emulate PCM track but in essence the track has DTS information. It passes through PS3 to your reciever and reciever will successfully recognize DTS data and decode appropriately.

mkv2vob 2.4.5 Beta 1 V2.4.5 Beta 1 17/Feb/2009

Added DTS can now be transcoded to AC3 in AVCHD mode (if you want to reduce filesize).

Fixed "unsupported" or "out of memory" error on ps3 with some split files.

Fixed old ac3 encoder which causes stuttering still used when downsampling/fixing ac3.

Fixed DVD-5 split sometimes a few bytes too large.

This beta release cannot be downloaded via auto update.

You need to download and install it from the link below.

http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=578

Great update.

If you want to know more about what this really means you can also read this thread on mkv2vob forum:

http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=543

Most of this stuff gets posted in here - https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...5&start=435 ;)

Still it's great news. PS3 can pretty much handle every media file now with a combination of MKV2VOB or PlaystationMediaServer. Arguably the best, or at least one of the best home theatre setups out there now! I think Shagrath is going to be adding on the fly DTS support to PMS over the next few days also.

w00T !!!! Good news everyone ! :D :D

I gotta try this on some mkvs I got stored on my n.a.s. :ninja:

And for us less educated people, what's the difference between oh say, normal 5.1 and DTS 5.1 ?

The differences between DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 was that DTS was supposed to be less compressed with a greater dynamic range, IIRC.

And for us less educated people, what's the difference between oh say, normal 5.1 and DTS 5.1 ?
What's the difference between AC3 5.1 and DTS 5.1?

What are and what are the differences between the 2?

Among the most confusing elements of home theater, the subject of audio decoding methods stands the tallest. The market hype of the home theater industry will try to sell you on dozens of different "standards", but only a couple of them are really important when it comes to the quality of your home theater.

There are basically three formats on the market right now that are of significance. Dolby Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS. You will find these logos on the front of many receivers and DVD players alike.

Dolby Digital 5.1 is a new format that has become more popular with the coming of DVD. This audio format offers any number of dedicated channels up to five main channels and one low frequency effect channel. Dolby Digital is the most popular current decoding method for DVDs and offers the following improvements on movie soundtracks:

* Improved clarity of center channel dialog

* Greater separation of music from dialog

* Discreet surround channel use. Missiles flying from rear right to rear left.

* Greater overall frequency range for all six channels.

* Greater accuracy in all six channels.

* More accurately represents the films original score.

If you are buying a new home theater receiver, make sure it includes Dolby Digital 5.1. For more information on purchasing home theater equipment, see the Home theater 101 guide, the Home theater for Cheap guide.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread...;threadid=45190

Plus previously MKV2VOB would transcode any DTS file to AC3, any sort of transcoding also equals loss of quality to some extent.

I've started using this program : http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

There is a thread on Neowin regarding the program. It does everything on the fly AND works with subtitles. Nice to see mkv2vob catching up though.

Actually PMS is behind MKV2VOB on the audio front.

It can't do DTS yet, plus it's PCM conversion is still screwed up. It doesn't do AVCHD either and a few other things in MKV2VOB.

It's an on the fly solution, MKV2VOB is permanent.

Quick question guys. If i donwloads a 1080p MKV i normally just play it through PSM server withing doing any converting and it works fine.

Am i best to use MKV2VOB to get the the better sound ?

Thanks

Matthew

Quick question guys. If i donwloads a 1080p MKV i normally just play it through PSM server withing doing any converting and it works fine.

Am i best to use MKV2VOB to get the the better sound ?

Thanks

Matthew

If you're happy streaming just use PS3 Media Server - The latest beta I posted 1.09, will automatically mux or transcode depending on the compatibility of the 1080p file. It also enables DTS support, so it's sound options are fine.