• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

.vbs Script to Map Network Drives on Login

Question

inStereo    0

Evening fellow Neowinians'; i need your help!

The Problem:

User logs onto their computer as normal every day when they come into work. Sometimes it's a good day and all their network drives pop up as normal, hey presto. Other days, not so good, their network drives (not necessarily all of them) don't even bother making an appearance and users are then forced to manually map them again (if they know how). Users are logging onto a domain and are in the correct AD Security groups for the drives they should be accessing.

What i think i need to Solve This:

I need a .vbs script which i can pop into the startup folder on a clients pc which will force the mapping of their assigned network drives. I am happy to manually enter into the script the location of their network drives and the assigned drive letter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any advise or suggestions on a more appropriate or efficient method would be awesome; I'm not even sure that a .vbs script would be the best way to do this or not.

Regards

Ads

3 answers to this question

profets    1

how are their mapped drives currently setup? is it through a logon script thats specified in their domain account?

techbeck    7,390

Here is what we use at work...

'*** Install printers

set wshnetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

wshnetwork.addwindowsprinterconnection "\\server name\share name"

Just create a text file called something "printer.vbs" and copy/paste the quoted text. Of course you will have to change the serer and share name to whatever your config is.

And I am an idiot as I thought you meant Printers and not network shares. But anyway, what I posted is how you can create a VBS script file to map printesr.

Edited by techbeck

+Mud W1ggle    89

You should be able to just just the Login script section in your AD to run a .bat file during login to map the drives

i.e.

@echo off

net use x: \\server\map

net use y: \\server2\map2

REM EOF

etc