Which to write about?

I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion for which particular virus, trojan, worm, or DOS incident i should discuss for a school project? Ideally ones which had a high technical and/or social consequence.

Thanks!

Maybe the Blaster.Worm? The 'programmer' who wrote it was later hired I thought. But he sure caused a lot of trouble. I was working at a local PC repair shop for the extra cash, and we had to fix a load of these machines infected by this worm. Of course there could be others which you can write about, but this is the one that pops up for me. :)

Link to what it caused: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-28452-w...n-in-60-seconds

Hello,

A few thoughts, in no particular mostly-chronological order:

• The Elk Cloner virus for the Apple II. A bit obscure, but likely the first microcomputer virus that exhibited all the characteristics of modern computer viruses/
  • The Pakistani Brain virus, a floppy diskette infector from the late 1980s spread around the world, usually at the speed floppy diskettes could be mailed. *grin*
  • The Michelangelo floppy disk boot sector/hard disk MBR virus? Received much media attention in 1991.
  • The CIH virus from Taiwan corrupted motherboards by improperly flashing their BIOSes in 1998. A very rare example of hardware damaged by software.
  • Concept, Melissa, ILoveYou and other self-replicating mass-mailling worms/viruses/Trojans (take your pick) from the mid-to-late 1990s that used scripting languages embedded in applications such as Microsoft Office or the operating system to spread.
  • Code Red, Klez, MyDoom, Nachi, Nimda, Sober, Sobig, Witty or any of the other fast-spreading worms which slowed down the Internet to varying degrees in the first half of this decade.
  • Storm, Stration, Vundo, Zlob, Zotob and other malware leading to the rise of the botnets.
  • VB.NEI, also called MyWife and Blackmal, which received a bit of press attention because it deleted files on a certain date (very old school behavior for malware)
  • Mebroot and Rustock, malware that used rootkits to maintain a presence on infected computers, from the past year or so.
  • Conficker, which is currently going strong.

I am less familiar with DoS incidents, but I am thinking recent events in Estonia and Georgia (the former Soviet republic, not the American state) might be interesting topics to pursue.

Good luck with your school project!

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Maybe the Blaster.Worm? The 'programmer' who wrote it was later hired I thought. But he sure caused a lot of trouble. I was working at a local PC repair shop for the extra cash, and we had to fix a load of these machines infected by this worm. Of course there could be others which you can write about, but this is the one that pops up for me. :)

Link to what it caused: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-28452-w...n-in-60-seconds

Ya Blaster is a good subject. It was a pain in the butt. I kept getting hit with it. I couldn't even last long enough to get to the page and download the patch. I had to download and burn the patch at school in order to be able to install it quickly enough!