Wednesday is NHL Deadline Day

Sportsnet is promising to stream the coverage online for those stuck at work:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/trade_deadline/2009/

TSN is also promising big coverage:

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/

At least one of them is offering 9 hours of live TV coverage and most of that is devoted to waiting, rumours, speculation and old-boy antics.

Next year's salary cap is expected to shrink meaning that some teams may have difficulty keeping their existing players under the cap nevermind any new guys they may pick up at the deadline. Also, there isn't anyone like Marion Hossa expected to be traded. One of the biggest names I hear is Chris Pronger.

Do you think this year will be as "exciting" as last year? Is 9 hours of live TV a bit much for this? Am I the only one that pays attention? Even I only keep it on in the background unless something seems to be developing.

Kaberle has not come out of the dressing room for the third period but there was no obvious injury when he finished his last shift that ended the second period.

That has added speculation that he is closer to being traded.

Edit:

Kaberle apparently did suffer what would seem to be a minor injury.

Edited by Fred Derf

Kaberle has not come out of the dressing room for the third period but there was no obvious injury when he finished his last shift that ended the second period.

That has added speculation that he is closer to being traded.

would expect someone decent and picks for kaberle

It looks like Calgary was the most active with the acquisitions of Ollie Jokinen and Jordan Leopold.

Toronto dumped Antropov and Moore for one 2nd round pick each. Toronto claimed Martin Gerber but told him that he may be flipped somewhere else.

The worst deal of the day was Scotty Upshaw + a 2nd rounder for Daniel Carcillo (has Scotty Upshaw fallen so low in value? Is Daniel Carcillo even worth a 2nd rounder?). Well, it was a good deal for Phoenix.

9 hours of tv coverage for a trade deadline? i love hockey, but that seems nuts. fill me in since i may be out of the loop, but trade deadline maneuvers don't really take place in a public forum, ala the draft, right? so what are the tv guys gonna do? sit around and wait for someone to call? go stalk the owners of the teams? seems pretty pointless to me.

9 hours of tv coverage for a trade deadline? i love hockey, but that seems nuts. fill me in since i may be out of the loop, but trade deadline maneuvers don't really take place in a public forum, ala the draft, right? so what are the tv guys gonna do? sit around and wait for someone to call? go stalk the owners of the teams? seems pretty pointless to me.

Hey, some people take the day off work for this! This year it would have been a major waste though as only about 8 deals came in during the first 7 hours.

I had it on in the background while I was working on other stuff. It was mildly interesting but the looming economy, the prospect of shrinking cap room and the realization that draft pics now have more value in a salary cap era has made trade deadline day less intense than it used to be. It ends up just being a bunch of guys around a table discussing rumours and dashing off-screen to take important phone calls.

Things at the office have been hectic lately. The Recchi trade was very predictable (at least for me) to secure a better team for the future. I am glad he went to the Bruins where he has a chance at winning the cup before he retires. Although after seeing his workout and conditioning ethic I think he could play until hes 45...

As for our Eminger trade, well I think it was strange. He has been one of the best players all year in my opinion.

Crazy to think that we are the "best-worse" team in the NHL. Lecavalier, St. Louis, Malone, Meszaros, Smith, Ranger, we have all credible people but cant produce anything.

The sports networks always try to hype this day by talking about it for weeks, if not months, and then holding lengthy television programs about it. It is interesting, but normally I check the trades in the newspaper in the morning for ten minutes. Not a huge deal. This year I spent all day on TSN.ca checking it out simply because it was a slow day at work, so I guess I gave in to hype.

Yeah I ended up watching all TSN's coverage Wednesday. Was a really slow day compared to last year.