Help with buying new LCD HDTV

Hey Guys, Basically due to our current TV breaking down on us a few days ago :no: , we now need a new TV for the living room.

The TV must be Samsung or Sony (my brother's decision lol). TV must be 40" - 46" LCD HDTV 1080p.

I already have a Wii, XBox 360, digital TV box and a Blu-ray player which would be hooked upto it.

Obviously I want to be getting my money's worth, I want to spend around ?1000($1500)>

I would want it to be a 46" but if its worth going down to a 40" or 42" for a better TV then that would be cool.

I have searched the net a fair bit but can't come to any conclusions.:wacko:: Really need your help guys so I can buy a TV asap, so what are your recommendations for a new LCD HDTV?

I'd go with a Sony. It's a make that I have trusted for years and they have never let me down.

I got a 46' Bravia last week from Target. It was $1700 when they first came out and Target had a special offer on them last week at $1099. Unfortunately by the time I saw the ad they had run out in all their local stores. Bummer, I thought but then I was speaking to one of the sales guys who told me that they were not stocking this model anymore and I could have the display model for $700 !!!!!. Needless to say I bit his hand off. The TV had been on the display shelf for just over a month and was spotless. I paid an additional $59 for a three year warranty and took it home and it's fantastic.......Must be one of my best all time buys :)

Hey Guys, Basically due to our current TV breaking down on us a few days ago :no: , we now need a new TV for the living room.

The TV must be Samsung or Sony (my brother's decision lol). TV must be 40" - 46" LCD HDTV 1080p.

I already have a Wii, XBox 360, digital TV box and a Blu-ray player which would be hooked upto it.

Obviously I want to be getting my money's worth, I want to spend around ?1000($1500)>

I would want it to be a 46" but if its worth going down to a 40" or 42" for a better TV then that would be cool.

I have searched the net a fair bit but can't come to any conclusions.:wacko:: Really need your help guys so I can buy a TV asap, so what are your recommendations for a new LCD HDTV?

It's always Samsung vs. Sony, lol. I would say Samsung, but that would be an advice that's solely based on opinion. Just get what you feel is best and what you are able to afford.

I just found your best bet... and its exactly your price Samsung 46 LCD - LN46A650 has a 5 star rating on Amazon with 799 reviews.. I have this TV in the 52 inch and absolutely love it. But as others have said... goto your local store and compare the picture quality... then go back online and buy it...

I just found your best bet... and its exactly your price Samsung 46 LCD - LN46A650 has a 5 star rating on Amazon with 799 reviews.. I have this TV in the 52 inch and absolutely love it. But as others have said... goto your local store and compare the picture quality... then go back online and buy it...

He's not in the US. TV models are different there. They wouldn't have 120hz tv's either. They would be 100 I'm assuming, since their standard is 50hz and not 60hz like in the US with NTSC. And I wouldn't recommend a 100 or 120hz tv anyways.

Definitely Samsung. Sony make some of the best displays too, don't get me wrong but they overprice everything they sell for having the Sony brand. You will not be disappointed with a Samsung. Go out to store with displays. Compare all the Samsungs to the rest. They are great. I'm sure Samsung even make displays for other companies and those companies use their own brand and sell it at a higher price.

Don't forget you can get a plasma instead. They still produce the best blacks and don't have such a big problem with burn-in as they used to. I believe they are cheaper as well. Panasonic is the main plasma tv manufacturer.

He's not in the US. TV models are different there. They wouldn't have 120hz tv's either. They would be 100 I'm assuming, since their standard is 50hz and not 60hz like in the US with NTSC. And I wouldn't recommend a 100 or 120hz tv anyways.

that feature can be turned off... the tv is still great and I would have purchased it with or without the 120hz feature...

that feature can be turned off... the tv is still great and I would have purchased it with or without the 120hz feature...

i know it can be turned off. but why spend a couple hundred dollars more on a tv when the primary difference is that specific feature? For the same price without the 120hz he could get 1 size bigger, or save some money.

You are not entirely correct... most LCDs are going to have this 120hz feature as the new models role out... while i def feel its a bit of a marketing gimmick.. there are other specs of the TV that change over the course of the models...

LN46A550 - $1200

New -- 30,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio: up from 15,000:1 on 2007 models (15,000 on 32-inch and 37-inch models) (Learn more)

New -- Fast 5ms response time: down from 8ms on 2007 models thanks to a new high-speed liquid crystal

Full 1080p HD (Learn more)

178-degree viewing angle from all four axes with Super Patterned Vertical Alignment (Learn more)

3 HDMI 1.3 ports: Simplay compliant (Learn more)

USB 2.0 port: connect devices directly to your HDTV--view JPEG photos or MPEG movies or easily listen to your MP3 player through your HDTV's audio system or your home theater system

DNIe Digital Natural Image Engine improves the picture by enhancing the contrast, detail, and white balance (Learn more)

Hidden speakers with SRS TruSurround XT audio (Learn more)

Wide Color Enhancer technology and Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp (CCFL) offer a wider color range (Learn more)

Picture-in-Picture (PIP) enables convenient simultaneous viewing of TV programs and video or PC sources

V-Chip system allows blocking of rated TV and movie programs determined by the parent to contain objectionable content.

Trilingual on-screen displays in English, Spanish or French.

Variable sleep timer to turn the TV off in varying time intervals.

Auto wall mount compatible: 3-dimensional operation via TV?s remote control; no external IR receiver required.

Swivel stand included

LN46A650 - $1500

New -- 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio: up from 25,000:1 on 2007 models (Learn more)

New -- Blazing 4ms response time: down from 8ms on 2007 models thanks to a new high-speed liquid crystal

New -- Transparent and Opaque Color (TOC) bezel with infused color creates an ultra-sleek shape and appearance (Learn more)

New -- InfoLink: Get free RSS feeds of news, weather and sports right to your HDTV with a built-in Ethernet port (Learn more)

New -- 4 HDMI 1.3 ports: Simplay compliant, and up from 3 on 2007 models (Learn more)

New -- Sports and Game modes boost on-screen performance and interaction with the latest gaming systems

New -- Side-mounted USB 2.0 port: connect USB devices directly to your HDTV to view JPEG photos or MPEG movies or easily listen to your MP3 player through your HDTV's audio system or your home theater system.

New -- Compatible with Samsung's Home Digital Media Adapter (sold separately) for playback and navigation of Internet and stored PC multimedia

Full 1080p HD (Learn more)

Automotion Plus 120Hz image interpolation technology provides smoother motion (Learn more)

178-degree viewing angle from all four axes with Super Patterned Vertical Alignment (Learn more)

Better clear panel technology for deeper blacks and more vibrant colors (Learn more)

Hidden speakers with SRS TruSurround XT audio (Learn more)

Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp (CCFL) and Wide Color Enhancer technology offer a wider color range (Learn more)

Picture-in-Picture (PIP) enables convenient simultaneous viewing of TV programs and video or PC sources

V-Chip system1 allows blocking of rated TV and movie programs determined by the parent to contain objectionable content.

Trilingual on-screen displays in English, Spanish or French.

Variable sleep timer to turn the TV off in varying time intervals.

Auto wall mount compatible: 3-dimensional operation via TV?s remote control; no external IR receiver required.

Swivel stand included

I know there are slight differences. If you think 1 more hdmi port, 1ms response time difference, and a hz feature you will most likely turn off is worth at least $300 then go for it. I agree it's a great tv, but the lower priced one is great also.

• 1 month later...

Between the two, Samsung and Sony, it's the former that is the best LCD TV for me. I know where I stand since my choice was between these two and I chose Samsung because the picture is great and it is much cheaper than Sony.