Zombie Router?

i was just playing a game online and had connection errors. So i went to check my router to make sure it was fine(a couple other things also disconnected). I have a wrt54gl and i had it flashed with tomato. When i went to check it, i found my router had REFLASHED itself to the default firmware. AND it is detecting my router as a WRT54GC for some reason.

Its not that big of a deal, i have my settings backed up, i'll just reflash it tomorrow.

I was just wondering, has this ever happened to anybody else?

What could have caused this?

I know for a fact that there was only one other person on my network, other than me, and they didn't do anything to affect it.(we're both connected wirelessly)

Just confirm your SSID doesn't match the common types (eg linksys), or it could be you've connected to someone else's router. I've never heard of a router "unflashing" itself. It could be you're about to flash someone else's router.

yeah I agree your connected to wireless next door.. Its no longer a GL but a GC model? Yeah ok :rolleyes: Come on think about that for a couple of seconds.

Whats more likely your on the wireless next door with the default SSID and no encryption or your router just happen to reflashed itself and now says its a different piece of hardware ;)

yea, thanks everybody, i just never thought about that because all the other times i checked they were all encrypted and none had common names.

But yea, that was the problem, thanks everybody!

Well lets hope that's not your method of securing it ;) If anything that would grab my attention for something to play with. Almost as bad as one I saw around me.

DontHackMe

BTW I show that "virus" is listed in the common SSID listing for a very easy to find rainbow table for hacking wpa-psk

The SSID and length of the ssid is seeded into the passphrase hash, so you really should use a UNIQUE one so that freely available rainbow tables can not be used.

Here are the V's I currently show in the table

--

V1500

Vanilla

Verizon Wi-Fi

virus

visitor

vodafone

The SSID list was taken from the top 1000 SSID list on wigle.net. The SSID list came to represent about 52% of the Wigle database (at the time) of 5 million access points, which accounts for about 2.7 million known access points. We figured this would give us the widest possible coverage for public use (you could still compute your own hash tables for non-listed SSID's).

--

And of course the passphrase should be very long (20+ should be good) and random vs dictionary words or simple word subs like P@55W0rD etc. If your using a short or dictionary word with a common SSID then your not very secure.

I had to laugh at this one though.....

imagine the problems with the people's next door router when suddenly they notice it's gotten flashed with new firmware... LAWL!!! the dangers of leaving the default IP: 192.168.0.1 admin page and default login credentials. lol

Yeah but the likelyhood of them ever noticing are pretty slim.. Since they did leave everything at default - its unlikely they have ever even looked at the web UI, etc.

You could be doing them a HUGE favor ;)

Yeah but the likelyhood of them ever noticing are pretty slim.. Since they did leave everything at default - its unlikely they have ever even looked at the web UI, etc.

You could be doing them a HUGE favor ;)

One of my neighbors didn't notice anything until I changed their SSID. Although I did go over and talk to them about securing it, after a few months I just couldn't resist the temptation. Shortly after I changed it, it was no longer showing up, so I went over and fixed it for them. They were kinda freaked out it (she was, he wasn't because he had a strong feeling it was me that did it). All is good now, they're secure and I got a couple of beers for doing it.

would recomend you connect wired to it if your doing something like that, and disabling your wireless, would have solved all of this. cause im thinking you flashed your neighbors router

nvm read froggers post earlier