Annoying IE8 Bug!

After installing IE8 (RTM), I can no longer open folders in the same Window (in shell).

Meaning, I'm I'm at C:\ and I double click on the "Program Files" folder, it opens in a new window! :(

Just for reference...

287ogsw.png

(My settings are just fine)

After googling this issue a bit, I found that somebody else had that bug too!

http://blog.pantos.name/archive/2008/08/29...beta-2-bug.aspx

Did anybody here experience this?

Avi.

What's folder options got to do with IE8? Also that person in the link you provided is talking about links not opening in the same window. You're talking about folders so different problem all together.

What's folder options got to do with IE8? Also that person in the link you provided is talking about links not opening in the same window. You're talking about folders so different problem all together.
You're incorrect. The guy speaks about the exact same issues I'm experiencing (I also noticed the "Connecting..." hang when opening a new browser tab). The issue started happening right after installing IE8. I know that Internet Explorer installs a shell extension, so I guess that's what causing the issue.

I'll try uninstalling (and test) and reinstalling (and test again)...

EDIT: I find it funny that this bug was reported via Connect but wasn't fixed in the final version.

You're incorrect. The guy speaks about the exact same issues I'm experiencing (I also noticed the "Connecting..." hang when opening a new browser tab). The issue started happening right after installing IE8. I know that Internet Explorer installs a shell extension, so I guess that's what causing the issue.

I'll try uninstalling (and test) and reinstalling (and test again)...

EDIT: I find it funny that this bug was reported via Connect but wasn't fixed in the final version.

You: "After installing IE8 (RTM), I can no longer open folders in the same Window"

Other Guy " once I've started browsing with IE8 today I quickly discovered that I wasn't able to open links in a new tab or window"

No you're talking about folder options and posted a screenshot of such. That guy is talking link and tab options. Completely different.

You: "After installing IE8 (RTM), I can no longer open folders in the same Window"

Other Guy " once I've started browsing with IE8 today I quickly discovered that I wasn't able to open links in a new tab or window"

No you're talking about folder options and posted a screenshot of such. That guy is talking link and tab options. Completely different.

No the next paragraph, he mentions about a windows explorer issue. Taken from the OP's link.

"What's more I noticed that Windows Explorer (not IE) was always opening new folders in new windows even though I've had specifically set it to open new folders in the same explorer window."

All good here btw on Vista Ultimate 32bit w/ SP1....everything opens in the same window :)

Gah, I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Not sure why this problem is here, since I was using RC1 for a while without any of this happening.

Also, my DVD drive is suddenly labeled as a CD drive, and the C:\ drive with the Windows partition suddenly has the generic hard drive icon instead of the one with the flag as well.

@Lee26: You're wrong again. Geez.

Me: "After installing IE8 (RTM), I can no longer open folders in the same Window"

Other guy: "What's more I noticed that Windows Explorer (not IE) was always opening new folders in new windows even though I've had specifically set it to open new folders in the same explorer window."

Reading ahead (say... 2nd paragraph in the link OR the bug report by the same guy) helps sometimes.

Back to the issue please.

Alright... I uninstalled IE8 (went back to 7) and everything is fine now.

IE8 was definitely the cause.

I might try and reinstall to see if this issue happens again.

Alright... I uninstalled IE8 (went back to 7) and everything is fine now.

IE8 was definitely the cause.

I might try and reinstall to see if this issue happens again.

I've reinstalled twice earlier, and the problem happens each time. :( .

Possible solution although not guaranteed but worth a try.

WIN +R then type "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" (without quotations) into the run box and press enter.

You should also check that the shell registry is set correctly.

Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Folder/Shell

and make sure the it says (value not set) underneath Data. If it says anything else then you need to modify the value by double clicking on Default and making sure the value you box is blank (typing "none" into the box also works) and then ok it and then close regedit.

Edited by lee26

*whew* Glad I haven't updated. There's nothing I hate more than having a new window pop up every time you click a folder

OH THE HORROR!!

Definitely does not affect x64.

I'm sure this OS killing bug will be fixed soon.

I installed it on my parents Home Premium and it doesn't occur; have you tried deleting your user account then recreating - I'm wondering if some old settings or something has gone pear shaped.

I installed it on my parents Home Premium and it doesn't occur; have you tried deleting your user account then recreating - I'm wondering if some old settings or something has gone pear shaped.
I tried using a completely new account (created as Administrator via Control Panel->Users). Didn't help.

This rules out user-specific registry option, as it happens for all users.

Maybe this has something to do w/ UAC being turned on?

I've found another place w/ many people describing the issue for Beta 2:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...blem-new-t.aspx

Definitely not a new bug. :(

buried down in that forum link there was a suggestion to "right click on IE --> run as admin, once" that fixed all the issues for me with no reboot. I had all the symptoms the OP described on a Vista Business 64 install after the IE8 upgrade.

I'm experiencing this issue aswell on Vista Ultimate x64 SP1, clicking a folder opens a new window even though "Open each folder in the same window" is selected in Folder Options . IE8 is just awesome! Might aswell uninstall it.