How to get Adblock filter lists working with Google Chrome

I don't have an article for this so I thought I would report to people about this myself.

How to install Adblock filtering into Chrome.

1) Uninstall Google's version of Chrome if you have it.

2) Install SRware Iron, a version of Chrome from some German developers that strips out all the code that leaks your privacy back to Google. (They use the latest 2.0 beta code)

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

3) Download the Adblock.ini file located here.

http://www.srware.net/downloads/adblock.ini

4) Put Adblock.ini in the C:/Program Files/SRware Iron main folder

5) Use SRware Iron plus Adblock without having to install 3rd party software and without the excess Google code that slows down Chrome.

Tell me what you guys think!

Edited by Anarcho-Capitalist

Nice, thanks for sharing mate :D

No problem, guy. It's not as refined a solution and isn't as effective at blocking ads as Adblock Plus with Easylist, but it gets rid of 90% of the ads for me. I've almost forgotten to use Firefox for the past few days since discovering this.

Threads going to be locked down, because of two reason.

1. Not news

2. You can't talk about ad blocking on Neowin.

No where does it mention of using it Ad-Block Neowin specifically!

Threads going to be locked down, because of two reason.

1. Not news

2. You can't talk about ad blocking on Neowin.

After going through some clarification with staff, you can talk about ad blocking so long as you don't state that Neowin is one of your intended targets.

Here's something else to block ads in Chrome.

"AdSweep is a small addon that aims to hide advertising from the web pages you visit like Adblock. In technical terms, AdSweep is a user javascript that defines CSS rules based on the web site you are visiting to hide elements of the page that show advertisements."

http://www.adsweep.org/

Here's something else to block ads in Chrome.

"AdSweep is a small addon that aims to hide advertising from the web pages you visit like Adblock. In technical terms, AdSweep is a user javascript that defines CSS rules based on the web site you are visiting to hide elements of the page that show advertisements."

http://www.adsweep.org/

Oh wow I didn't know that there was yet another option to block ads.

I just tried Adsweep and while it does work, it's really not as effective as Adblock because it downloads all the ads and then just sweeps them out on each page load. You see them for a brief millisecond and then they're gone. They shouldn't be downloaded at all.

Another method is to use a Host file to block the ads. It is almost as effective as Adblock on FF.

edit: Don't forget to add Neowin to trusted sites.

Edited by soonerproud

Another method is to use a Host file to block the ads. It is almost as effective as Adblock on FF.

edit: Don't forget to add Neowin to trusted sites.

That's too time consuming. You have to change things around and such. It's terrible. I like an in-browser solution.

Yep,

Been using this thing for a few weeks now. A little different, but sweet!!

Won't make me quit using Seamonkey, but nice to have a backup browser or three!!

Yep,

Been using this thing for a few weeks now. A little different, but sweet!!

Won't make me quit using Seamonkey, but nice to have a backup browser or three!!

Seamonkey? Chrome is faster than Seamonkey.

• 1 year later...

Seamonkey? Chrome is faster than Seamonkey.

Dude,

We aren't on dial up anymore! That one millionth of a second means nothing to me.

I just depise the fact Google owns it and has finger prints all over and in it!!

Old a** thread, but some how popped up on the front page.

Edit:

Have LONG since quit using Chrome, since this thread started too!! :)