Windows Live Messenger 2009

I've always wondered, is there anyway to turn off the new Photo Sharing "feature" and just revert to old behaviour of sending the image?

Yep, there is a way, when you click on Photo, it starts the Photo Share, while if you click on send Files->Send File/Photo, it would transfer the image normally.

Regards,

Sibot

People who can't accept the changes of things are like the Neanderthal Humans. Neanderthal Humans died off because they could not adapt to change in the world.

I have been using 2009 for months now. The default layout is terrible as with most Microsoft things but luckily you can change it a bit. I have the contact icons small, all of them and then everything but favorites unchecked. The favorites list is a great idea and the fact that the icon picture is now server side. This is one of those concepts like online bookmarks that I am sure everyone has thought of 10 years ago but for some reason, this concept seems illusive to software engineers.

I'd really like to see Microsoft integrate Xbox Live contacts into messenger. For years they had a tacky button which would display an HTML page of your contacts. That is not integration, that is just a shortcut icon to a web page. They should appear as contacts and you get on and offline notifications as you would any other contact.

I hope they update Live messenger in XBL, it is an older version so I always get signed out when I sign in on Xbox Live.

Edited by babyHacker

They also secretly added some add-on exe running background and demand for internet access, I forgot the exe name, but once you were seduced to upgrade, you will find out (if you got a firewall, it will report).

what hidden exe?

Why are you guys so picky about a messenger? I mean, do you really need to have a pretty interface just to talk to people? When it comes to simply communicating with people it works as intended, what's the big deal? So what there's no text seperating who's on online, mobile and offline? You can still customize it easily. As far as I'm concerned it does everything that I would want a messenger to do and that is being able to send messages to other people and be able to find people fairly easily. All I do is I customize it to make it only show online users and then I can see who's online at any given time. I check my mail through windows live mail so why should I check it through messenger? Why cause such a big racket about something that still performs the same tasks?

Yep, there is a way, when you click on Photo, it starts the Photo Share, while if you click on send Files->Send File/Photo, it would transfer the image normally.

Regards,

Sibot

I'm aware of that work-around but I was looking for a way to turn it off completely so you can drag and drop images into the conversation window without the Photo Share "feature" coming up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Much cleaner (Y)

wlm.jpg

Yup.

wlm09n.png

I've always wondered, is there anyway to turn off the new Photo Sharing "feature" and just revert to old behaviour of sending the image?

I actually really do not like the new Photo Sharing feature. Yahoo does it much better in my opinion. They're eventually going to change it I believe. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take up the entire freakin' chat window.

And I'm not the only one..

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/04/18/ph...r-kill-it-dead/

As per your request, here's a patch to make it so when you drag a picture into the chat window, it automatically sends it as a file instead of opening up Photo Sharing. Ahhh like the old days!

http://mess.be/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?actio...load&id=717

If you've used A-Patch make sure you restore the settings so the CRC check lines up correctly when applying the patch below.

Also, does anyone know why there hasn't been a new Mess Patch?

Edited by scowl

• 3 weeks later...

I really do not like the new version, especially the default settings, its not as bad after tweaking the settings but the photo sharing feature is so annoying.

• 3 months later...

I don't like the new 2009 version, either (uninstalled it after a week). It looks aesthetic but the miminal set (Messenger) also grows considerably in size. The sharing folder feature which I'm very fond of is also absent in this version. In the end, the good old 8.5 is still my pick.

• 1 month later...
Messenger did not mess up your girlfriend's webcam :rolleyes:

haha actually it did.

because now we use Skype, and the video works, but its very glittery. still trying to get it to work on her MSN tho.

too much... i don't want to have to install this to talk to my friends and have a chatbox take up half my monitor.... gmail's little AIM chat is one of hte greatest things ever... i wish microsoft and google would stop fighting and i could access my MSN through gmail also.

• 2 weeks later...
haha actually it did.

because now we use Skype, and the video works, but its very glittery. still trying to get it to work on her MSN tho.

I've faced that problem quite a few times, I'd recommend that your girlfriend upgrades to the same version of MSN.

It can get very annoying when you send multiple webcam invites, but the other person receives none.

too much... i don't want to have to install this to talk to my friends and have a chatbox take up half my monitor.... gmail's little AIM chat is one of hte greatest things ever... i wish microsoft and google would stop fighting and i could access my MSN through gmail also.

You could try and patch your MSN, remove all the unnecessary huds and make it as minimalistic as possible :).

Or you could use Pidgin