Jdbgmgr.exe virus alert readymade reply

I'm sure you all got the 'jdbgmgr.exe alert' message at least twenty times. I think it's a good thing to make people who fall for such things realize their ignorance and its consequences, so I wrote a reply you can send next time one of your friends harasses you in an act of good will. Feel free to use it.

---

The following words I address ONLY to people who fell for the recently received 'new dangerous virus' alert. Where have I got your address from? - read below.

Dear ignorant,

Next time you forward a message about an alleged virus to all the contacts from your Address Book, do bother verifying its authenticity. Because you are yet another victim of a hoax that's been circulating the world for months. The information that the jdbgmgr.exe file is a virus is mere FALLACY, what the following article confirms: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;322993 . Jdbgmgr.exe (Java Debug Manager) is a system file, required for the proper functioning of Microsoft Java Virtual Machine. In other words, you deleted a system file from your disk, and then adviced all your contacts to do the same. I don't need to add that a vast majority of your message's recipients will encourage yet another hundreds of people to weed the 'virus' and warn the entire universe about it.

Screw your system files, screw the traffic due to BILLIONS of such emails circulating the Web. The saddest thing about it is that by forwarding the 'alert' to all your contacts, you share with EVERYONE you send your message to not only the addresses of ALL the people in your Address Book, but also of ALL the people to whom the message you got was sent. This is where I got your address from. Yours and the remaining 121 (literally: one hundred and twenty one). Mail addresses are private data, protected by law. If someone wanted to, he could sue you for sharing them without his permission. If you ever wondered where all the spammers clogging your inbox with unsolicited mail got your address from, here's the answer.

Please apologize the tone, but it wouldn't have hurt to type in "jdbgmgr.exe" in Google in the first place to prevent turmoil on a scale larger than you can ever imagine.

Regards,

Koyder

---

[EDIT] Note: you must copy the MSKB article's address using the Copy Shortcut command and then paste it into the message, as the Neowin forum displays it in abbreviated form.

Edited by Koyder

I dont know why people open attachments from someone that they don't know or has never contacted before. Where's the common sense? OH WOW! SOME GUY JUST SENT ME AN ATTACHMENT! LETS OPEN IT! Goddamn some people are idiots.

lolz...looks like i'm the only idiot that fall for it....maybe i'm the only one that dares to admit..i'm sure there are more idiots out there like me...lolz...joking...fell for it...how stupid can i get...but not heard from an email...heard from a good friend...trusted her and there i go...lolz...she had to reformat too...i guess there is a better way to settle the problem but at that time i wanted to reformat anyway so why notz...

THIS IS SO OLD..........this is such an old virus;)

a) its not a virus.

b) hes not alerting us of its existance, but offering a form of solution to an constantly spreading problem.

Get off the self righteous soap box.Just because someone is unaware of something does not make them stupid or ignorant . Not all computer users are geeks.

Do you know all that theer is to know about your car (if you are old enough to own one ) or your DVD , TV,

Rattle

this is a perfect example of how the internet can make problems worse. this has been around for at least 3 years. i've gotten it 4 times and each time i email the person back saying that it is fake and ask them to forward it to everyone they sent the original email to. but it doesn't stop. people still are too gullible.

lolz...i've learn a lesson thou..tell them to look at the properties of that exe...its a mrcosoft thing...how can it be a virus then...and if you have an anti-virus software you shouldnt be scare of that...this was the points i miss out when i got cheated....lolz

this is a perfect example of how the internet can make problems worse.  this has been around for at least 3 years.  i've gotten it 4 times and each time i email the person back saying that it is fake and ask them to forward it to everyone they sent the original email to.  but it doesn't stop.  people still are too gullible.

Not quite mate, its been around for just over 1 year ;)

The amount of work this causes a mail admin is just stupid, I spent hours and hours on the phone explaining this to not so bright users, and given half of them were from seperate companies, I had to be incredably tolerant of stupidity.

The damage it does to a machine is neglegable in most cases, but the sheer volume of mail generated (the alert, and the replies saying 'thats crap' is just huge), and the time taken to inform users.. pah. Nightmare, far more effective than most of these 'mass mailers' that kiddies keep making with construction kits...

lolz...i've learn a lesson thou..tell them to look at the properties of that exe...its a mrcosoft thing...how can it be a virus then

Oooo dont rely on that, its not too hard to fake ;)

Simple rule : unless you got a file from a 100% trusted source, dont run it (without AV scanning / research), and if someone told you to delete it in this manner, I'd guess 95% chance its a hoax.

and stop saying "lolz"

use emoticons or something more normal.

it's lame to replace s with z, and it's retarded to make plural of internet slang.

or i'll break your face!

Not quite mate, its been around for just over 1 year ;)

more than 1 year, i got an email for it in 2000.

edit: excuse me, 2001 :blush: 2 years, not 3

more than 1 year, i got an email for it in 2000.

edit: excuse me, 2001 :blush: 2 years, not 3

Nope, it appeared around march last year. Check any AV sites listings.

I know this because I was working as the AV admin for a large domain at the time, ie: reading av newsgroups everyday, and the wildlists / vendor lists.

This urban legend started in early April 2002 among Spanish-speaking computer users. The hysteria spilled over to the English-speaking community by mid-April 2002. Well-meaning users fall prey to False Authority Syndrome when they use their eyeballs to "detect" viruses.

it defenatly started before 2002.

whole 2002 i was unemployed :( so i explained it my users back in 2001..if not 2000

Na there was another *very* similar hoax years before it, involving the file sulfnbk.exe. Most people get the two confused.

*IF* it started before 2002 q1 then

a) why is it listed on ALL av vendor sites as 2002 q1

b) why is there NO record of it on any AV newsgroups before 2002q1

c) why am I 100% sure it started 2002q1 ;)

click me

The above link is a google search for "Jdbgmgr exe" from 12 May 1981 to 26 Jan 2002.?

You'll notice nothing relating to the hoax, only other massmailers that happened to attach the file (which is probably where the hoax started).

Change it to 2 months later, and there is a *lot* relating to this specific hoax.

it defenatly started before 2002.

You're wrong dude :blink::

I had a Compaq that got that virus last year, my anti-virus didn't work either, I STILL HAD THE VIRUS, I reformatted an'wd there it was again, I installed a firewall and had not internet connection and there was that damn virus again. I thought if I changed the hard drive it would solve the problem since that hard drive was obviously infected, it was the last time I bought a 7200rpm WD 80gig...., anyway I put a seagate in it's place and vola,....I installed XPpro and had the same damn virus again.....I picked up that Compaq and chucked it out the window, .......that solved that....or so I thought....that virus cause me more financial loss when I live in the a penthouse condo...the virus landed on my neighbors car......I almost went to jail....I paid some big money for that....I got myself a highspeed computer...and I still have that damn virus......anyone know how to get rid of it? I've tried Norton, McAfee, PCcillin, and a few others...nothing seems to work. WTF??! HOW DO YOU GET RID OF IT!!!!! :angry:

I had a Compaq that got that virus last year, my anti-virus didn't work either, I STILL HAD THE VIRUS, I reformatted an'wd there it was again, I installed a firewall and had not internet connection and there was that damn virus again. I thought if I changed the hard drive it would solve the problem since that hard drive was obviously infected, it was the last time I bought a 7200rpm WD 80gig...., anyway I put a seagate in it's place and vola,....I installed XPpro and had the same damn virus again.....I picked up that Compaq and chucked it out the window, .......that solved that....or so I thought....that virus cause me more financial loss when I live in the a penthouse condo...the virus landed on my neighbors car......I almost went to jail....I paid some big money for that....I got myself a highspeed computer...and I still have that damn virus......anyone know how to get rid of it? I've tried Norton, McAfee, PCcillin, and a few others...nothing seems to work. WTF??! HOW DO YOU GET RID OF IT!!!!! :angry:

I pray to god you are joking

Depends on the model, Most of them have a real bios. The one's i've noticed that don't have a BIOS are some of the Armada models. So far all my compaq's have full BIOSes but then again they aren't very recent.

For my Presario it has an AwardBIOS on it.

Poor Samoa, i think you should just give up or when you wanna throw the computer away just give it to me :p